PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installation from CD problems

Stoneyhill
November 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Here goes:

I am having problems (or rather one problem) when trying to install Ubuntu on my desktop, I have burned the iso (using: infrarecorder) ater downloading it from ubuntu.com (version 8.10) and have used winMd5sum to verify that the iso is correct, however when selecting CD as my primary boot drive and restarting my computer i get the following message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data...
Boot From CD _

*and there it hangs*
*forvever.....*

I have burned the iso twice to ensure that there is not a issue with the disk which leads me to believe that there may be an issue with either my disk drive or my bios, some people with similar problems have been advised to reset their bios settings however i am hesitant to do that as its not something that i fully understand.

If anyone has anyidea what i can do to solve this problem i would be very grateful... im keen to get my ubuntu adventure started!

Thanks in advance.

Stoneyhill
November 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Tried Resetting the BIOS back to factory settings.... same problem...

:(

anyone have any idea of what i can do?

falcon61102
November 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Do you have any Windows install disks or any other bootable disks? If so, pop one of them in and try to boot. If you run into the same problem then it's definitely your system and not being cause by the CD.

Also, does your system freeze completely?

fez
November 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
This is the same problem as I have. I've tried a few different releases of Ubuntu over the past year and a bit, and each one has given me the same problem.

I finally got hold of a Windows XP disc recently and the problem remained.

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the BIOS as I seem to remember using the ABIT Flashmenu updater not long before this problem appeared, but I don't know how to test it.

I have previously installed different versions of Ubuntu on this system with few problems.

linnuxnub
November 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Have you tried the alternate install cd. Also, make sure you burn the iso at low speed under 12x.

fez
November 26th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Yes, tried both of those.

Stoneyhill
November 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Ive burned multiple cd's and still have the same problem, (4x speed etc...) HOWEVER, i figured there may be something wrong with my hardware so i swapped the cd drive for one from another computer and have gotten a step further... now though, the ubuntu menu appears but then if you click "install" or "try" the ubuntu loading screen appears for about a minute then a black screen with a single flashing _ appears and the system hangs there...

i THINK that i may have come accross someone that had this problem in the forums but cannot seem to find it... any ideas about continuing from here?

thanks

Stoneyhill
November 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I have just tried to boot with a windows XP CD,

it worked.... :(

I got the same screen as the initial problem but with a new line "press any key to boot from cd" and upon doing so in the installation carried on as normal, Ive reinstalled XP on this pc before and im pretty sure ive never seen that screen before...... but hey....

so i cant understand what the problem could be..... BIOS?, Motherboard? (Biostar <- ewww) , send to computer store for diagnostic on above? chuck computer out of window and buy new one?

very annoying problem this.....

Stoneyhill
November 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
HUZZAH!

ubuntu is currently installing :D

did a few things:

bought new (higher quality) CD/R
redownloaded ubuntu
reburned CD at 1x write speed
deleted ALL partitions on the hard drive
reset BIOS to factory settings
rebooted computer and prayed......

not sure which one did it (or combination) but its fixed the problem for me... :D

thanks guys

falcon61102
November 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Glad you got it working. Enjoy.