PDA

View Full Version : Ever wanted to know everything about your city/town? Check this awesome site out!!

littletinman
November 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Hey y'all, I know this isn't Linux related, but I think it's really useful for anyone in the USA looking to find out instant information on their city or town or state.

I recently received a link to this site called CityMelt.com
It's a site where you can locate a city or state and find out any info about that area. Such as population, ratios of women to men, and about ratios of ethnicity, and even what are the most successful jobs in that area, and much much more. Here is the link,

citymelt.com (http://www.citymelt.com/)

Check it out, I learned more about my home town in DC in less time than if I had looked elsewhere. Hope someone finds this helpful, it's a new project, and a very good one too.

Peace,

The Little Tin Man

pp.
November 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Duh - it knows places in the USA only.

littletinman
November 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
True, but it's still pretty useful. I wish I had this back in geography class.

Kingsley
November 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
The makers of this website should organize the data better. It's a PITA to scroll through pages and pages of information.

littletinman
November 26th, 2008, 12:24 AM
True dat, I'll send them an email on the issue. It's still in Beta, so don't expect perfection. But still, for beta, it's pretty darn good.

Magneto
November 26th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Another great site is www.city-data.com . That site is fantastic if you're looking to relocate or just get information about a city from actual residents. Helped me a lot when moving out of state and buying a home.

handy
November 26th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Only U.S., so its useless to most of the people in the world.

Bölvağur
November 26th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I think it's really useful for anyone looking to find out instant information on their city or town or state.

Duh - it knows places in the USA only.

Note the usage of the word anyone. As anyone = few people, everyone = a lot of people, the entire population of the globe actually.

Man that reminds me of Jay Walking :lolflag:

Grant A.
November 26th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Only U.S., so its useless to most of the people in the world.

Like the people in Oz? :lolflag:

handy
November 26th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Like the people in Oz? :lolflag:

Oh! We don't count there is only a little over 20 million of us here. :lolflag:

littletinman
November 26th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Chuckle. What side of OZ do you live on Handy? I'm over by the steel mill, and the tin man parts store, hence the name. I'm rather small in stature.:lolflag:

Grant A.
November 26th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Chuckle. What side of OZ do you live on Handy? I'm over by the steel mill, and the tin man parts store, hence the name. I'm rather small in stature.:lolflag:

Wouldn't the best idea be to live by the oil refinery? :lolflag:

littletinman
November 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
haha, well, we get shipments from them at the shop. And I get discounts too. Which is real groovy. I'm an early 90's model and still haven't adjusted to the new parts. But, heck, the life of a tin man. It beats chopping down trees. For a while I considered working in textiles, but my wrist leeks too much to be of any use there. :lolflag:

handy
November 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM

G'day m8, I'm a few hours north of Sydney (thankfully). :-)

You sound like you may be a Noveaucastrian?

gn2
November 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Note the usage of the word anyone. As anyone = few people

Nope, anyone is any one single individual person and in the context used by the OP applies to all individuals on the planet.

So the statement is clearly wrong, the linked site is not useful to anyone unless they are trying to find out about locations in the USA.

littletinman
November 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Good point fellow Ubuntian, I shall change it.

gn2
November 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Good point fellow Ubuntian, I shall change it.

Cool :)

littletinman
November 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Alright, now the info is more geographically correct. Sorry it bugged all you community members from accross the lake. Hopefully they'll be catering to you in the near future.

littletinman
November 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ok, I let them know about the long page of data problem and they have heard that before. But I think they're working on it. As to sticking in the US, that seems to be what thier doing right now. I guess in a few years they'll branch out to include what is accross the lake.

littletinman
November 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I should have mentioned that this is also a great resource for people looking to start businesses in thier town. They can look and see what markets are weakly covered, and which are ignored.