PDA

View Full Version : Most Secure OS?

Deathray
November 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What is the most secure OS in your opinion?
I'm guessing OpenBSD is.

RATM_Owns
November 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Probably a commercial version of Unix.

Commercial Unix: 4 viruses total (none probably working)
Linux: 9 viruses (If I remember) (None working or are made in a lab for PoC)
Macs: 14 (If I remember)
Windows: Too high to count

init1
November 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Probably Minix3, I doubt anyone's made any viruses/exploits for that.

Kernel Sanders
November 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
The most secure OS doesn't have a user sitting in front of it.

Icehuck
November 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM
The most secure OS doesn't have a user sitting in front of it.

And not connected to a network of any type.

grazed
November 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
OS/2 has no known viruses. :roll:

jimi_hendrix
November 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
MikeOS

JohnFH
November 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
OS/2 has no known viruses. :roll:

I must get in touch with the virus writers for OS/2. I wonder how they kept their viruses hidden for so long! ;)

Anyway, the OS I've developed hasn't got any viruses and is known to be 100% secure. That's guaranteed by the way!

Looking forward to similar replies ...

snova
November 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I think it has less to do with the OS and more to do with how well you can secure it (emphasis on you). The most secure OS is thus the one in front of a security expert.

Prove me wrong, though...

mkrahmeh
November 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
i guess wide spread OSs are more exposed to attacks than others, thus there might be some other subjective measure for security than number of known viruses

I think it has less to do with the OS and more to do with how well you can secure it (emphasis on you). The most secure OS is thus the one in front of a security expert.

Prove me wrong, though...

I agree

Koori23
November 25th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I have a Windows 95 box in my garage that's sitting in my car trunk that hasn't been powered up in months. Dare ya to try to hack into that one remotely.

All seriousness though.. "The most secure OS" is sort of an irrelevant question to start. It's all a gray area. There's really no answer.

If you look at it from the straight virus standpoint. That's one criteria

If you look at it from the default network configuration out of the box. That's another.

Is the machine physically accessible? Does it have a printer/CD Writer/USB ports

I mean, viruses and general insecure behavior can result from and be installed by any of these methods.. So, it's not really a question that can be answered easily.

For work, I had the privelege of visiting the Navy Yard in Maryland. I didn't see much, but all I did see was workstations with monitors and keyboards.. No printers, No personal computers on desks. That was it, all thin clients. They wouldn't even tell me what OS they were running in the background.

ghindo
November 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Plan 9 from Bell Labs is the most secure OS I know of.

Koori23
November 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Plan 9 from Bell Labs is the most secure OS I know of.

they really don't go for looks on that OS do they?

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/img/screenshot.gif

bufsabre666
November 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
me and my friend did a thing where we installed windows in vmware on 2 differnt computers and race to see who could crash it first using viruses and spyware and the like... we got all of them to crash except windows 98se, so i go with that =P

samjh
November 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Assuming all factors are equal, probably OpenBSD.

smartboyathome
November 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM
The most secure OS is one that doesn't run. As long as an OS runs, it will be able to be cracked.

init1
November 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
The most secure OS is one that doesn't run. As long as an OS runs, it will be able to be cracked.
I'm sure that there's some way to make an uncrackable networked PC. For example, you could make an OS where all executable code is in the kernel and stored on ROM.

Giant Speck
November 26th, 2008, 01:31 AM
The most secure operating system is a pencil and a pad of paper.

Newuser1111
November 26th, 2008, 01:42 AM
What is the most secure OS in your opinion?
I'm guessing OpenBSD is.Does the PSP's OS(Firmware) count?
It can't be hacked over a network.
And there's no viruses, Just 1 known trojan.

Grant A.
November 26th, 2008, 02:03 AM
they really don't go for looks on that OS do they?

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/img/screenshot.gif

Blech, and I thought my WMII setup was ugly.

DOS4dinner
November 26th, 2008, 03:38 AM
FreeDOS. No processes can hide in the background...because there IS no background!

init1
November 26th, 2008, 04:10 AM
FreeDOS. No processes can hide in the background...because there IS no background!
Well there are TSRs, which serve as primitive multitasking, but I doubt that anyone would want to attack a DOS system ;)
BTW, I like your avatar, it was an awesome game :D

zmjjmz
November 26th, 2008, 05:10 AM
An OS that is turned off, disconnected from any network, and locked in a Faraday cage vault.

ghindo
November 26th, 2008, 05:26 AM
An OS that is turned off, disconnected from any network, and locked in a Faraday cage vault.Best answer so far. No moving parts either, amirite?

Grant A.
November 26th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Best answer so far. No moving parts either, amirite?

nouarent

SunnyRabbiera
November 26th, 2008, 05:34 AM
An OS that is turned off, disconnected from any network, and locked in a Faraday cage vault.

or a BSD variant :D

mips
November 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
VMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS) else I would say OpenBSD.

lisati
November 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM

I was going to do a nice multi-quote answer, but I think this one sums things up nicely.

I remember once being asked a similar question (possibly about spam?) on a non-technical forum, and my answer was to disconnect the computer completely from outside influence (power supply, network, screen, keyboard, mouse, etc) and bury it in concrete in the back garden.

halovivek
November 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
1.Open BSD
2. Linux

gs.linxusr08
November 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I would think its ZETA-OS based on BeOS.

init1
November 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Best answer so far. No moving parts either, amirite?
Yes, because moving parts makes it insecure

Giant Speck
November 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/dd/Drama_prairie_dog.gif

hessiess
November 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM
An OS is only as sccure as the person who configured it made it to be. i.e. setting the root password to 'password' :)

Giant Speck
November 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
An OS is only as sccure as the person who configured it made it to be. i.e. setting the root password to 'password' :)

Damn it!

*goes to change root password*