PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning

Pollik
November 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Heya! I am brand new to Linux and Ubuntu, having tried Live CD version.

I am trying to install a dual boot with Win XP. When it get to the partition question, I have three options

- guided (which gives approx 10% to Win and about 90% freespace to Ubuntu.

- guided (which allocates whole disk to Ubuntu

- Manual.

I choose 'Manual' because I want to allocate only 65% to Ubuntu. On the next window, I see how space is currently allocated (all to Win), click Edit, and manual set the size to the value that represents about 35%.

But then I get lost - it seems to go back the previous window (showing about 100% allocated to Win) and a message saying that any changes cannot be undone, and asking if I want to proceed.

I thought I understood partitions a little, but it feels to me like that if I agree to proceed, it will proceed at 100%.

If I sound confused, it is because I am!! I don't want to lose Win entirely and I want to leave it a sensible amount of space.

Can anyone help me, please?

Polly

nvance
November 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Polly,

I believe that once you set the size of the existing Windows partition you then have to click edit partition with "free space" highlighted. That should give you the option to set up the Main Ubuntu Partition with a boot sector or point of '\' and also you will have to set up a 'swap' partition (I use about 5-6 gig).

Hopefully this helps and I am sure someone else will come along with some more assistance too.

Enjoy because this is part of the learning experience of Linux and the more you "play" the more you will learn when the situation comes along again.

Pollik
November 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well that went well. :(

I got over the partition issue, but the install failed, taking with it WinXP, Restore, PC Angel (another restore app) and the back up disc failed, too. :( Fortunately, there was nothing on the disc that was needed, except Win XP, which I have lost entirely and no way to reinstall without buying another copy.

Here is hoping that I can get Ubuntu installed. No luck so far...CD issue, so I am burning it again more slowly. Fingers crossed.

Polly