PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP

bradthewanderer
November 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I would like to know if there is a tool or program that allows you to use both Operating systems, like fast switching? I know you can reboot and do that, but it is a hassle or you could use vmware or virtualbox. I know there has to be a program that lets you click in and out from one to the other, please help.

Thanks, Brad

Izek
November 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
It's called Parallel Desktop, and it's for MACOS. But it's still virtual.

CraigPaleo
November 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'd go with virtual box since it's FOSS. I don't know of a non-virtual way to do this.

bford16
November 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
The ONLY way to run two Operating Systems at the same time (concurrently) is with virtualization. This is because an Operating System needs to control all of the computer (that's what an OS does). This is not the same as running Xfce on the desktop and GNOME in an Xnest window, because both Window Managers are sharing the same OS. If you have two computers, you can run both OSes concurrently, and use some kind of remote-operating software over a network. But you CANNOT run two Operating Systems at the same time on the same computer. Not today. Maybe tomorrow...

benhur99ph
November 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
You will have to turn to virtualization.
There are many applications to use for this.
Some are VirtualBox, VMware, QEMU, and there is already a Linux version of Parallels -- which is not free by the way -- but they do provide a test version.
I suggest you try them out.