PDA

View Full Version : Lazy English

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I`m glad these forums are in English. I`m amazed when I see a thread going between people from opposite sides of the world, from non English speaking countries conversing in perfect English.
Some people struggle a little but even then you can understand.

I`d be scr***d if these forums were in a different language. I take my hat of to you all.

A lazy Englishman.

eternalnewbee
November 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
why, thanks:lol:

lukjad
November 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I`m glad these forums are in English. I`m amazed when I see a thread going between people from opposite sides of the world, from non English speaking countries conversing in perfect English.
Some people struggle a little but even then you can understand.

I`d be scr***d if these forums were in a different language. I take my hat of to you all.

A lazy Englishman.
Pas de quoi!

sonicb00m
November 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I don't think the UK's inability to speak other languages at the same level is because of laziness. I am English and tried picking up French and German at school and didn't do very well. I now speak Swedish much better than those two languages after living here a few years.

The hardest part is stopping people wanting to speak English all the time.

You also have to remember that the rest of the world are growing up with English in their background. Undubbed TV, Music, Computer Games, etc all play a part in the ability to pickup English well.

Hardly any foreigners I know speak other languages with the same degree of proficiency. In Sweden a lot of people have another language through their parents. It's not like all my friends speak fluent French, German or Russian just because they did a bit at school.

rudihawk
November 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well ja bru, we speak a different sort of engels down here in the south. So if you ever scheme to hang a left and drop down for a kuier, you will be more than welcome! Is ja!

sydbat
November 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I find that, very often, those whose first language is NOT English tend to write quite well on most forums I have visited/joined. It is those whose first language IS English that have the worst grammar/spelling.

Dragonbite
November 25th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I got through just enough Spanish to make it out of High School and it promptly fell out of my ear when I got the sign-off.

So I only understand English and my own form of gibberish. :lolflag:

Is it true, though, that in Europe multiple languages are more prevalent partially due to more exposure from neighboring countries/languages?

If the Ubuntu forum wasn't in English, I'd probably be in the Fedora forums instead.

brunovecchi
November 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I take my hat of to you all.

¡Se aprecia mucho el reconocimiento! :)

eternalnewbee
November 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I`m amazed when I see a thread going between people from opposite sides of the world, from non English speaking countries conversing in perfect English.Please correct me:
Before 55 BC people in Britain spoke Celtic and Gaelic.
Come 55 BC, and J.C.'s forces invade Britain: Hence the introduction of Latin.
Beginning of the 4th century C.E.: Constantin The Great decrees that Christianity is the official religion of the Roman Empire. ( so now the 1% of the population that can read, ie the elite, learn Latin {to learn to read the Bible}[please correct me, as I'm really not sure])
A hundred or what years later the Romans finally get kicked out of Britain.
Not too long after that (give or take 200 years) the Jutes, Saksen and Angels, land in Britain, and stay.
The Angels come from Englaland (in modern day Germany) and their language is Englisc.
Next: The year 1066! The mark of the Norman Invasion. A French dude (duke) becomes king of Britain. France rules Britain for about 300 years.
We have now entered the beginning of the "Renaissance", and along comes Shakespeare, and the rest is history.

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Next: The year 1066! The mark of the Norman Invasion. A French dude (duke) becomes king of Britain.

Shouldn't that be a duke from Normandy and not France, as France didn't exist did it?
Oh well at least you can say that guy was a norseman and probably had leather shoes... so we can call him the leather shoe wearing norseman.

But why are you talking about this :)

benny bronx
November 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
While they have foreign language classes around here, they are not always taken too seriously. I took two years of spanish in high school and all I really learned was to insult people, and that was taught to me by the spanish speaking students who took the class wanting some easy credits. My spanish was so bad, I use to greet my father in the morning with "bueno dio papas fritas".

gettinoriginal
November 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
When I encounter a foreign phrase I don't know, I use googles translator, the problem is, you need to know what language it is first. :)

drubin
November 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Well ja bru, we speak a different sort of engels down here in the south. So if you ever scheme to hang a left and drop down for a kuier, you will be more than welcome! Is ja!

I read this post and just could not stop laughing!!! :)

lukjad
November 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Can I chip in with my pyrate talk? :twisted:

Majorix
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Even though I try really hard, my English still sucks :)

drubin
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Can I chip in with my pyrate talk? :twisted:

No we discussed this. Afrikaans was his native tongue :)

ubunToonoob
November 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
My English is pretty Horrible too and my main language is English! :lolflag: (http://www.travelchess.info)
I'm happy that the people help here speak the english

lukjad
November 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Spoilsport.
PS, the pyrate will return

DoctorBeaver
November 25th, 2008, 08:42 PM
sonicb00m raised a very good point. I have travelled extensively and always try to learn at least a little of the native language. Trying to get the locals to speak in their own language rather than using me to improve their English has been a constant battle.