PDA

View Full Version : Executables instead of tar.gz files

fredscripts
November 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi!!

After thinking about the experience of trying to download and install a simple theme and a simple usplash-screen from gnome-look on my Ubuntu, having issues that seemed easy to solve but with no answer here in this forums(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=991241) nor in IRC, I've thought about a change:

Why not simple "CoolDark.theme" or "NiceFinger.usplash" executable files that run all the configurations needed to install the theme or the usplash (or icons, or whatever of gnome-look), instead of annoying tar.gz files plenty of README, HOW-TO's that are different for every theme that even after following them still not work properly?

I hope future versions of Ubuntu will include support on that , as that's one of the reasons I love Ubuntu.

What do you think?

blueturtl
November 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Why not simple "CoolDark.theme" or "NiceFinger.usplash" executable files that run all the configurations needed to install the theme or the usplash (or icons, or whatever of gnome-look), instead of annoying tar.gz files plenty of README, HOW-TO's that are different for every theme that even after following them still not work properly?

For security reasons obviously.

I thought installing themes in Ubuntu was as simple as dropping the .tar.gz files into the Appearance/Themes window?

edit: I read your help thread and to me it seems like maybe you have a broken/poorly designed theme.

Most themes install fine by simply drag&dropping them into the Appearance window, in my experience at least.

Paqman
November 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
A theme doesn't need to be executable, it's just a bunch of files.

Tar.gz is just a compressed container, like .zip or .rar. It's just a handy way of someone bundling a lot of files together.

bufsabre666
November 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
for themes: go system to preferences to appearance, on the first screen click install and select the tarball... there its installed

and for upsplashes install a program called start up manager

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

and they have an option on the second tab to add different upsplashes

why do you need an installer? atleast this way you dont need to compile a binary for i386 amd64 arm ppc and the others

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
On debian based distros we have .debs which install with a couple of clicks.

fredscripts
November 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
for themes: go system to preferences to appearance, on the first screen click install and select the tarball... there its installed

and for upsplashes install a program called start up manager

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

and they have an option on the second tab to add different upsplashes

why do you need an installer? atleast this way you dont need to compile a binary for i386 amd64 arm ppc and the others

I already know how to install themes and usplashes...it just one day I tried to install a simple theme and a simple usplash screen from gnome-look following these methods...and no luck: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=991241

Maybe I'm so unlucky that the first theme and usplash screen I've tried to install are damaged...

SunnyRabbiera
November 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
well first of all that theme right there is probably not set up to use the standard theme manager that we use, some themes are like this.
as for usplash there I can see why possibly you would have issues, first of all usplash is a part of the root of the system so its not like a simple change to a few toolboxes here and there.
Usplash really cant have executables as you wish as really that can allow bad things to happen to your system if you dont know what it is.
hey loading a boot theme on windows is not much easier, you have to download questionable software just to make it look the way you want it and YES stardock software is questionable software dont kid yourself.

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Listen to sunny... there is a reason why he has that many thanks :KS
Im not going to add more thanks to his counter because it's too high for me not to get jealous.
So it has to be written consent +1 Sunny :popcorn:

I want to add that an binary executable would probably be very bad thing as it usually wouldnt work for most users because they have different setup than the theme is setup for.
.deb would be possible and you actually can find themes that are set up as .deb

but the bottom line is that most themes are now they are more accessible for everyone than they would in an executable file.

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Listen to sunny... there is a reason why he

Not he - she. See here -

http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=948104

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Not he - she. See here -

http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=948104

Oh my.. I thought sunny was a she from her writings in the past but I never knew so I went the safe way and refer to her as "he" as most users here seemed to be male :(
Im sorry

Forgiveness?

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Don`t ask me, ask Sunny. :)

SunnyRabbiera
November 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Oh my.. I thought sunny was a she from her writings in the past but I never knew so I went the safe way and refer to her as "he" as most users here seemed to be male :(
Im sorry

Forgiveness?

its all cool