PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how can i install applications??

lucablight05
November 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
hi guys.. im new in ubuntu... ive been using it for a week right now... I have downloaded an application called "Bittorrent"(which is also available for windows but a lot easier to install) on linux and it seems to be just a folder with a lot of python codes inside it... how could i install applications in ubuntu then? my "Bittorrent" file has an extension ".tar.gz" and i also dont know what it means.. im really a noob guys please help me..

Junkieman
November 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
hi there, find easy instructions for installing applications in the Ubuntu Help -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware#Ubuntu

use the search functionality in the Add/Remove dialog to search for a bittorent client.

enjoy!

ndefontenay
November 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Hi.

Also, you already have a bit torrent client installed after you've installed ubuntu.

It's called transmission. You should find it at the bottom of the internet group in the application menu.

If you want to install more programs, just go to add/remove programs.

You will have a huge list of apps you can pick, it will download and install for you. Vuze (old azureus) is part of it. You don't need to search for a name. Just search for torrent in the search bar. You should find a list of results.

Good luck