PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install new fonts

Paracelt
November 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I just started with Linux by downloading Intrepid as a total replacement for XP on my Dell Inspiron 8200.
All seems to be working well except that I can't install new fonts!
Documentation refers to a Font option on my Preferences menu - there isn't one, neither can I put one there with the Main Menu option. :(
Documentation also says that I can go to the fonts folder by using Open Location and putting in "fonts:///", but GNOME tells me that Nautilus "can't handle 'fonts' locations"! :confused:

Someone please help!

keithld
November 25th, 2008, 04:57 AM
You did not "Specify"... Are you trying to install Windows Fonts or what Fonts are you trying to install???

If it's windows fonts you can look here and see if this info is helpful... This will only insatll the "Core Fonts" for Windows...

Installing Mircrosoft Fonts (http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/09/installing-microsoft-fonts/)

kostkon
November 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
In general to install fonts you just put them in the hidden .fonts folder that exists in your home folder. If you open your home folder with the file browser and select View → Show Hidden Files you should be able to find it. If it does not exist, just create it yourself and put your fonts there.

If you want the MS fonts, then do what keithld suggested.

Paracelt
November 27th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks, guys! Being new to this environment, I didn't realize that I could simply create the folder and it would work, but it did!!
:guitar:

How do I mark this [SOLVED]?