PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu hates me, please help.

Kerrigans_Zerg
November 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I have attempted to use Ubuntu countless times, but it seems that every time I do, something pertaining to the installation is possessed by Satan himself. The first time, it wouldn't partition the HDD (I want to dual-boot), the second time, it installed fine, but then my brother changed our wireless encryption to WPA, and Ubuntu couldn't handle it. This time, I can't even boot with the CD! I dowloaded the latest ISO of Ubuntu, burned it using DeepBurner, and tried to boot to it. It booted to the start menu of the CD, but when I clicked "Check Disc for Errors", or "Install Ubuntu", it says "I/O Error: error reading disc" or something to that effect. I have burned the CD again, on another computer (because I think my own RW drive is possessed because everytime I open it after it's read a disc, the computer crashes.) And even used two different programs (ImgBurn/DeepBurner), on two different computers, to burn the ISO to a CD. I also used two different drives to boot from the CD. No matter what, it gives me that error after I choose the language and try to install or check the disc. Anyone have any idea what's going on? If I need to provide anymore information, please tell me. Sorry for being anathema to technology. Please help me.

oldos2er
November 25th, 2008, 02:50 AM
"I have burned the CD again, on another computer (because I think my own RW drive is possessed because everytime I open it after it's read a disc, the computer crashes.)"

If your hardware is bad (which it may or not be, but what you posted doesn't sound good), you might want to try unetbootin to install Ubuntu.

nightmare0
November 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
have you tried burning at a slower speed like 4x? or even tried a md5sum check on the iso file to make sure you Downloaded correctly? (I had the same issue my first time:))

Kerrigans_Zerg
November 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I did try it on two drives just in case the one is messed up, but I'd never heards of UnetBootin before, and it sounds like exactly what I need. I'll try using it and I'm gonna try to install version 8.04 instead of 8.10, and I'll just upgrade to 8.10 later. I'm not sure why I'm doing that, but it made sense when I started the download, and now I'm half an hour in. Thank you, I'll try it. If that doesn't work, then I'll try using a slower burn speed. I've never heard of a md5sum check though. I'm not too great at tech stuff yet.

nightmare0
November 25th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I did try it on two drives just in case the one is messed up, but I'd never heards of UnetBootin before, and it sounds like exactly what I need. I'll try using it and I'm gonna try to install version 8.04 instead of 8.10, and I'll just upgrade to 8.10 later. I'm not sure why I'm doing that, but it made sense when I started the download, and now I'm half an hour in. Thank you, I'll try it.

Yeah, you're welcome (Please Give Thanks)
I'm so far not liking 8.10, gives me too many issues, so here I am with 8.04! Let me know how it works out for you!

Ripfox
November 25th, 2008, 02:59 AM
This smacks of hardware problems. If your optical drive wont read correctly you are jacked from step one...

Kerrigans_Zerg
November 25th, 2008, 03:08 AM
nightmare0, sorry, I made that reply while you were making yours. It was originally just a reply to the first. Thank you very much for helping me.

nightmare0
November 25th, 2008, 05:04 AM
nightmare0, sorry, I made that reply while you were making yours. It was originally just a reply to the first. Thank you very much for helping me.
you are most welcome, not to be ungrateful but would you mind clicking the little medal thing next to my name? It makes it more official, lets people know that I do help! Hope your problems are solved swiftly!

Ripfox
November 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
you are most welcome, not to be ungrateful but would you mind clicking the little medal thing next to my name? It makes it more official, lets people know that I do help! Hope your problems are solved swiftly!

Fishing for thanks button outright is against the COC just to let you know...