PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to go from a Minimal installation to Full installation?

silentpayne
November 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Sorry, first time trying out linux, so my qeustinos might look stupid at times.

I have a minimal installation of 8.10 on my computer right now and I'm not very good with command line. just wondering how can I go from the minimal installation to a full GNOME environment/full Ubuntu Desktop installation (Upgrade or re-install, either is fine).

You might wonder why I didn't just install the full version in the first place, here is the story.

I have a somewhat old laptop and XP was acting up, so I decided to give Ubuntu a try.

I popped in Ubuntu Desktop install CD and the installation went along well but froze after the harddrive had been partitioned and formatted.

My Cd-ROM is old and it is acting up whenever it reads for a long time (5 min or so), which causes the installation to freeze and I just can't get the CD to work anymore.

Since my computer doesn't support USB boot, and I don't have another one to do network install, I tried the minmal installation CD I burned earlier and the CD-ROM was alright since it didn't read for long.

Now I have a minimal installation but I know my computer is modern enough to handle the full version.

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction, thx a million

Pumalite
November 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Post your specs: memory? graphics?

silentpayne
November 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
CPU: P4 2.8Ghz
MEM: 512MB DDR / shared with graphic card
graphic card: ATI Radeon 9000 /upto 128MB
harddrive: 60GB

Pumalite
November 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Have you tried an Alternate CD?: