PDA

View Full Version : What media player do you use and why?

civillian
November 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Just wondered what most people use...
I've used my fair share (from amarok to beep media player to quod libet) and I'm currently trying out songbird.

Quod libet tops my list just for its extensibility, although I do miss the amarok song browser.
I like songbird, but it seems a bit bloaty (the reason I dropped amarok) and I don't like the itunes-esque interface, really.

mrgnash
November 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Up until recently it was Banshee for music and Mplayer for video. Well, I have stuck with Mplayer, but switched to Amarok 2. It's not quite as good as Banshee at this stage, but it does integrate with KDE better, and I'm all about integration :)

SunnyRabbiera
November 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
audacious

handy
November 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
VLC:

I lost interest in listening to music some years ago, so I don't need playlists & all that. I regularly watch DVD's & other forms of movie including utube & google video that I have downloaded.

My primary audio are audio-books which I'm gathering quite a collection of, I expect that when I get old enough to find reading tiring I'll quite enjoy having books read to me (therefore collecting now) apart from the fact that I enjoy it already. :-) I use the evil iTunes to store these on & listen to them via an iPod Touch, which is really easy on the eyes to use.

kk0sse54
November 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Songbird with my own self made feather since I totally agree with the OP about hating it's default look and I also use Sonata every now and then.

samjh
November 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM
VLC for all audio and video files. Why? Out-of-the-box functionality.

Capt. Mac
November 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I use Rhythmbox for my music. I love the interface, but it is sorely lacking an equalizer. I use VLC for movies, but when I listen to audio files on VLC it skips for a moment every 15 seconds or so. I don't know what it's deal is.

ibutho
November 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I mainly use Audacious and Totem, but I really like the Songbird 1.0 release candidates. Audacious is very minimal and reminds me of Winamp and XMMS which I used in the past.

wildman4god
November 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I use exaile for music, because it's basically a gnome version of armarok, which has alot of features.

I use totem gstreamer for all video except dvd's for which I currently use totem xine, although I am still looking for a more suitable dvd playback software, leaning towards vlc if anyone has a recommendation let me know.

FuturePilot
November 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Banshee because it's got some really nice features that aren't found in other media players like the ability to play videos.

andras artois
November 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Using rhythmbox for a music libary then having singular music files, video's and dvd's open up in vlc works a treat.

hessiess
November 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Rythmbox, I like the way it orgonises music. Though i do wish it dident have so meny gnome dependancys and got rid of the sidebar.

dizee
November 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I use Amarok for listening to albums and playlists in general. I sometimes use Audacious for individual songs and streams.

Amarok is great, it has lots of features (I love the moodbar thing even though it's a bit superfluous), the only gripe is that it's buggy sometimes. Audacious is nice and clean and simple.

Rokurosv
November 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I use Exaile. I tried installing Sonata but couldn't get it to work. Banshee was my favorite but Exaile is a little faster.

koleoptero
November 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I use vlc as a video player (and mplayer sometimes, but very rarely lately) and as an audio player... well it's complicated. I have rhythmbox atm, but it indeed sorely needs an equaliser. I used to be an exaile fan but the way it manages ratings and auto playlists isn't very functional imo. I use audacious sometimes but I'm tired of the winamp-classic-like interface, plus I need organization features. Amarok works like a charm but looks auful in gnome. So I'm still trying to decide...:confused:

SuperSonic4
November 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Amarok 1.4.10 for playlists and my main music files. I like the way it sorts out my songs and the features are excellent. Amarok 2 is kinda poor though. It just looks and feels right and comes preinstalled on all the distros I use. Last fm integration in the program itself is a big plus

VLC for single audio files and video (except .mov) - I like the full screen and being able to change the aspect ratio of any video. It just works, clean and efficient

SMPlayer for mov files, ran from the command line it can adjust A/V lag and works well. The SMPlayer allows to get 16:10 aspect ratio

evilkastel
November 24th, 2008, 11:49 PM
All audio players crashed with my complete audio collection while using the search feature. But Rhytmbox works fine, syncs my ipod, handles well my collection and never crashes. but an equalizer would be a nice addition. Or even better, something like DFX 4 winamp

Skripka
November 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Amarok 1.4.10 for playlists and my main music files. I like the way it sorts out my songs and the features are excellent. Amarok 2 is kinda poor though.

I agree, The Amarok devs are either going to need some bigtime redos on their 2.0 GUI to get it back to 1.4.10 elegance or drag me kicking and screaming to 2.0 or else I'm going to resist Amarok 2.0 for as long as I can.

RiceMonster
November 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Using Amarok 1.4.10. I just wish it wasn't a KDE app and had gapless playback.

init1
November 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I use VLC, because it handles .pls files better than any other player I've used.

xpod
November 25th, 2008, 12:01 AM
VLC here,because it does the job.

Therion
November 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Using rhythmbox for a music libary then having singular music files, video's and dvd's open up in vlc works a treat.
Winner!

Rhythmbox is rock-solid stable for me, too. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it's everything I want (light, flexible... STABLE) and nothing I don't.

kjb34
November 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Right now I'm using Amarok, Banshee and Songbird. I like Amarok but it is kind of buggy in Gnome, Banshee is okay but it doesn't wow me. I just downloaded Songbird RC1 I really like it but I hate the default look and I haven't quite figured out how to make my own feathers yet. For videos I use VLC.

mister_k81
November 26th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I use Rythmbox for music (it's simple, but it works well enough for me)and VLC for movies.

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I like GNOME-Mplayer the best for movies. It's nice launching it from the CLI too, but GNOME-Mplayer adds the perfect gtk gui to go along with it.

Eisenwinter
November 26th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I use XMMS. It's simple, and to the point.

binbash
November 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Amorok for music, VLC or smplayer for Movies

sydbat
November 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Amarok for audio because it works for me. VLC for video...same reason.

fildegar
November 26th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I have tried many audio players and have settled for alsaplayer, it's lightweight and does no more than I need it to. It's ideal for me since I like light, single application software that still has a gui. :D

Others I have used and liked are amarok and quod libet. They're really good but they do a whole lot more than I need them to.

billgoldberg
November 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Banshee.

Why?

Because I can.

For video, Totem.

I know lots of people prefer VLC, but I don't.

This weak alone, vlc refused to play 5 (or something like that) videos. Totem just played them. The same for videos over ssh or samba. Vlc refuses, Totem just plays it.

Tom--d
November 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Rhythmbox for music
Totem for Videos

They both fit my needs and look great within GNOME :)

ZuLuuuuuu
November 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Audacious, because I am coming from Winamp culture :D I like just double clicking and listening to music.

In Amarok or Rythmbox it does not stop after playing and continues to play other songs, which I hate. And I'm never used to Amarok's music playing style (you click a file, it adds to playlist if it is not already added but does not play it right away; does not add it if it is already added but goes to the playlist position etc...).

I guess Banshee has an option to stop playing after current song but I didn't tried it by now, maybe give a try later (though I don't like supporting Mono applications).

notwen
November 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Audacious for audio.

VLC for video.

markp1989
November 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I use mpd, with gmpc , because when using rhythmbox i just left it on shuffle, i dont really need a heavy gui for that.

and i use VLC for video, because it plays all video files i have on my pc. -

Capt. Mac
November 27th, 2008, 02:14 AM
For video, Totem.

I know lots of people prefer VLC, but I don't.

This weak alone, vlc refused to play 5 (or something like that) videos. Totem just played them. The same for videos over ssh or samba. Vlc refuses, Totem just plays it.

Funny thing, my experience has been the exact opposite. The only reason I installed VLC was because Totem was refusing to play certain videos. Isn't it great having so many options?

chucky chuckaluck
November 27th, 2008, 02:32 AM
aside from the mplayer plugin, i have no use for a video player. i use cplay for music and cdcd for cds. both are simple terminal apps.

jimrz
November 27th, 2008, 03:21 AM
audacious

sisco311
November 27th, 2008, 10:23 AM
mplayer(-nogui) for video and cplay for audio.

Piraja
November 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I've been exploring lots of different media players lately, but at the moment I'm using the gapless non-GUI audio player Music On Console (mocp) and most often VLC for video.

CrazyArcher
November 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Amarok for audio, VLC for video.

civillian
November 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM
just checked out music on console, and it looks pretty good (provided you have well tapped/named/organised music - which I do :D), especially if your stuck in the cli for some reason!