PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [Python]Do I need Django for simple web script?

fiddler616
November 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hello,
I need to make a website that will accept a few bits of data from the user, query a few websites, calculate, and display a result.
I was getting ready to look into Django, which seems rather complicated, when it occurred to me that it might be possible to just use standard Python with urlllib, and not mess with Django.
A)Back me up--it's allowed to just have straight Python online--I feel like I've seen examples.
B)Am I right in thinking all I need is urllib, HTML and CSS, no Django?

Thanks.

themusicwave
November 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
You can certainly do form processing without Django. Keep in mind, Django, or any other framework, is simply a wrapper around Python. Everything Django does is done from ordinary Python code. They just make it simpler.

Check out this tutorial. What you are looking for is Python CGI.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lab2q/lesson_1/

snova
November 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
CGI?

Then there's mod_python, which is faster (among other advantages), but only works with Apache.

I don't know how useful urllib is. I think it's for accessing websites, not building them.

glok_twen
November 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
the apress book on "beginning python - novice to professional" has 2-3 quick chapters on creating some simple forms.

fiddler616
November 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CGI?

Then there's mod_python, which is faster (among other advantages), but only works with Apache.

I don't know how useful urllib is. I think it's for accessing websites, not building them.
Well the plan is:

<insert CSS template>
<insert CSS styling>
<Python>
user_input = text_box("input")
import urllib
open("useful site")
<regexp useful data>
<do some math>
if user_input not ""
goto results.html #er, I mean results.py(?)
</Python>
</HTML>

in pseudocode.
It's not very complex--which is why I'm leaning away form Django. I just need to find out how to make stuff like text boxes.

@themusicwave thanks for the link

snova
November 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
If you want to use Python in a manner similar to PHP, then mod_python will do it. It's called PSP (Python Server Pages) or something like that.

I'm pretty sure urllib doesn't do that stuff, or much of anything useful from a server's standpoint.

loell
November 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
http://www.cherrypy.org/ :)

its nice for simple things..

pmasiar
November 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM
If you want tp keep things simple, don't bother with cerrypy or mod_python, use simples of the simple - Python's cgi module. For example, see wiki in my sig: simplest 3 line CGI script.

fiddler616
November 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
If you want tp keep things simple, don't bother with cerrypy or mod_python, use simples of the simple - Python's cgi module. For example, see wiki in my sig: simplest 3 line CGI script.
Thanks for cleaning/clearing things up-- the only visible Python I need is a text box, and I'm sure that's easy.

Cheers.