PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant boot ubuntu on my ibook g3!

MangledLinux
November 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
ive been trying to get ubuntu on my ibook g3 but every time i try to boot the live cd to install it my screen starts turning colors but never boot. so i then i pass it the video=ofonly boot command and it stops the colors problem but it still will not boot. it never makes it past the loading please wait message. the dvd drive stops reading and spinning. im at a loss ive tried several ubuntu distro discs and still the same thing... hopefully somebody has an idea as too whats going on. any info would be appreciated. thank you

allen

cariboo
November 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
How much ram do you have? I installed Xubuntu on my G3, but it took almost 20 minutes to boot to the desktop and almost 2 hours to do a full install with the LiveCD. Try the Alternate install cd you may have better luck.

Jim

Keith Hedger
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I could never get a live cd to run on my old clamshell ibook or my g4 imac but the alternate install cds worked fine.

darksideforge
November 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I could never get a live cd to run on my old clamshell ibook or my g4 imac but the alternate install cds worked fine.

Keith,
Last week someone gave me a "blueberry" clamshell iBook. I immediately started trying to get rid of that nasty lookin' Mac OS 9 and I tried loading up an Ubuntu Mini.iso CD.

The iBook explores the disk just fine...but it won't boot from it and I don't have a clue how to tell an iBook where to go or how to boot once it gets there....suggestions? PLEASE? =)

Keith Hedger
November 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Burn the iso to disk then reboot with the disk in and hold down the c key to boot from cd

darksideforge
November 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Burn the iso to disk then reboot with the disk in and hold down the c key to boot from cd

Thanks Keith. Just to confirm, it has to be the PowerPC 32bit version of Ubuntu mini-iso, correct? It can't be a regular mini-iso that I burn to disk...right?

So, regardless, even if it's the PPC 32, I still need to hold down the c key as the computer starts up...correct?

Keith Hedger
November 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
yeah 32 bit ppc and if I remember correctly you have to hold down the c key to force a boot from cd or you can hold down the "option" key to get a list of bootable disks ( handy if you screw up the yaboot installation like i did once! ), doing this from memory so good luck!

darksideforge
November 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes! Appreciate the quick response time as well.

cariboo
November 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I have ppc versions running on both a blueberry iMac and a G4, I don't have the original apple keyboards, so holding down the C key while booting from the cd works for me.

The iMac runs Jaunty Xubuntu and the G4 runs Hardy server version.