PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Commands for users?

skyggen
November 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hey!

I have setup an ubuntu server with open-ssh for users.Made everything look good by getting my help from here and google. Now i want to know how i can make so that when users type "vhosts" when logged in to the shell, they get a list of the current vhosts i have added to the list, simply printing out text. I also want to make stuff like that for info and help. example: "psybnc-help" and so on.

How do i go about this, bash scripts? if so, where should these scripts be located so that every users can type, "vhosts" ?

cdenley
November 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hey!

I have setup an ubuntu server with open-ssh for users.Made everything look good by getting my help from here and google. Now i want to know how i can make so that when users type "vhosts" when logged in to the shell, they get a list of the current vhosts i have added to the list, simply printing out text. I also want to make stuff like that for info and help. example: "psybnc-help" and so on.

How do i go about this, bash scripts? if so, where should these scripts be located so that every users can type, "vhosts" ?

Create this file:
/usr/bin/vhosts

#!/bin/sh
ls -1 /etc/apache2/sites-enabled

then make it executable

sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/vhosts

When you run a command without a path, it looks in the paths stored in the PATH environment variable.

echo $PATH

CrucifiedEgo
November 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Technically, /usr/local/bin is where your custom scripts should go, according to the FHS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard). cdenley's script looks good as long as you're following the debian way of handling vhosts.

skyggen
November 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM
That answers my question about the scripts and it's location.
Thank you very much ^^