PDA

View Full Version : Dell Mini Ubuntu in newspaper ads now in the UK

Sealbhach
November 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Was delighted on my journey home to see that in the usual full page spread by Dell that they had a Dell Mini 9. In the place where they usually put Genuine Windows Vista they had "Ubuntu Edition version".

I don't have an image of the ad but here's the product page on the Dell site:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

There's still that big difference in disk size between the XP and Linux versions.

They also have an interesting offer - if you buy an XPS you can get an Ubuntu Mini 9 for £99.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/promo.aspx/uk/en/p2_promo_xps_mini9?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup

k@e
November 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
They still have an 8GB SSD on the Ubuntu version and 16GB on the Windows XP version. That's the same situation as in Germany.

Shame on you, Dell!

fatality_uk
November 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM
They still have an 8GB SSD on the Ubuntu version and 16GB on the Windows XP version. That's the same situation as in Germany.

Shame on you, Dell!

Agreed! Annoying that the Linux version looks less of a good deal! Mind you, how to compete with Microsoft kick backs?

Joeb454
November 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Dell don't seem to offer any upgrades on the mini 9 models either.

I think that for the Ubuntu version they should offer the 16GB SSD, but still keep it cheaper than the XP version, so as to emphasize that installing XP does in fact cost

MickS
November 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Perhaps XP needs twice as much:)

Mick

gn2
November 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I think that for the Ubuntu version they should offer the 16GB SSD, but still keep it cheaper than the XP version, so as to emphasize that installing XP does in fact cost

I think Dell should be selling their Mini 9 at a realistic price never mind whether it has an 8 or 16gb drive.

£270 is a total rip-off when you can have an Acer Aspire One for £180

smoker
November 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I think Dell should be selling their Mini 9 at a realistic price never mind whether it has an 8 or 16gb drive.

£270 is a total rip-off when you can have an Acer Aspire One for £180

well, maybe we in the uk can look forward to massive price cuts now\\:D/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7745340.stm

(yes, ok, 2.5% is not much, but it will be good to note how many manufacturers pass on any savings!)

majabl
November 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Was delighted on my journey home to see that in the usual full page spread by Dell that they had a Dell Mini 9. In the place where they usually put Genuine Windows Vista they had "Ubuntu Edition version".

Yep, saw it in The Independent today!

init1
November 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Dell don't seem to offer any upgrades on the mini 9 models either.

Yes they do. You can upgrade to a 32GB SSD for $100 more.

Redache
November 25th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Isn't it Vista Home Basic on the Mini 9's??? if so that could explain why the Windows version NEEDS more Hard Disk space, otherwise I have no idea why there's a difference. I suppose Dell need to make money somewhere.

Joeb454
November 25th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Yes they do. You can upgrade to a 32GB SSD for $100 more.

They didn't on the UK site when I checked last week. I know they do offer various configurations on the US site :)