PDA

View Full Version : wxPython Deployment

themusicwave
November 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
So I am thinking of converting some TKinter apps over to wxPython because it looks much nicer.

However, the major drawback is that wxPython isn't included with Python by default. How do I go about deploying it in a seamless way. I know I could just give them the wxPython installer, but I would like it to be an invisible process.

I can't find much information on the topic anywhere. Any ideas?

Majorix
November 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
For deploying for Windows you can use py2exe (http://www.py2exe.org/) which runs on Windows and compiles .py to .exe, along with the necessary/used libraries. I don't know if such a tool exists for deploying Linux apps.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot about FreezePython, which does about the same job, but for Linux. Might want to look into it.

themusicwave
November 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I am familiar with py2exe and have considered it. I am hoping to keep the program as a .py file. I need to be able to e-mail it to technicians. Our firewalls forbid .exe e-mails, which is part of the benefit of Python. Our firewalls and most other firewalls let .py files through.

I can have them install wxPython and Python, I was just hoping to avoid that and keep it somewhat clean.