PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 boot install failure. Need help!

mu:te
November 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I've installed Linux so many times, on some many computers, including my own, but all out of sudden I got this fantastic error when I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.10.

After booting from CD and pressing "Install Ubuntu" I'm directed to some "Busybox" screen and this error message is shown repeatedly, over and over again..

It sounds something like this.

(initramfs)
(initramfs)
(initramfs)
(initramfs) Bla Bla Bla Hardware Error [Yes]
I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1431176
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 178897

Howto fix this? My hardware cannot be the problem, Ubuntu been on this computer two-thousandths times..

And FYI. I've burned 3cds, 4x, 8x, 24x, I've tried "all_generic_ide" and "all_generic_ide noacpi nodma noapic nolapic", doesn't work..

- Intel Dual Core 6420 2.13Ghz
- 2GB of mem @ 800mhz
- nVidia 8800
nuff said..

ITAndrew
November 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I have encountered the same problem before and it ended up being a bad DVD drive. If you can, try to make a bootable pen drive by copying the ISO to the pen drive, booting up a live CD on a PC you know that works or a PC already running Ubuntu 8.10. Copy the ISO to the desktop of the live OS or Ubuntu install.

Now I am not 100% sure what the application launcer is (to creat bootable pen drive) but I know it is located in the System > Argh drawing a blank. Its there trust me.

Good spot for more info including the location of my brain fart above:
http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/11/installing-ubuntu-810-to-usb-flash.html

After creating the bootable pen drive, try disconnecting the ROM drive and try booting using the pen drive. If this does not work, try swapping your ROM drive for a different known working drive.

November 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I have encountered the same problem before and it ended up being a bad DVD drive. If you can, try to make a bootable pen drive by copying the ISO to the pen drive, booting up a live CD on a PC you know that works or a PC already running Ubuntu 8.10. Copy the ISO to the desktop of the live OS or Ubuntu install.

Now I am not 100% sure what the application launcer is (to creat bootable pen drive) but I know it is located in the System > Argh drawing a blank. Its there trust me.

Good spot for more info including the location of my brain fart above:
http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/11/installing-ubuntu-810-to-usb-flash.html

After creating the bootable pen drive, try disconnecting the ROM drive and try booting using the pen drive. If this does not work, try swapping your ROM drive for a different known working drive.

Can you perhaps give me a better details how to do this? Step by step cause I dont seem to be doing this at all..

November 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
All out of sudden my usb pen decided it was a good time to start working and I managed to put the installation on the pen. Now, I've changed the boot to boot from usb but it doesnt..

linux_tech
November 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
First download Ubuntu 8.10 ISO and then burn the iso to a CD
Next, restart and boot from the Live CD you just made.

Plug in a 2GB or larger USB flash drive.

Start a terminal and type this:

wget pendrivelinux.com/downloads/u810/u810.sh
chmod +x u810.sh && sh u810.sh

After the install to the flash drive reboot the pc and change the Bios to boot from the USB device.