PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Circumvention of firewall restrictions

lakersforce
November 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Not a Ubuntu (or GNU/Linux specific) topic, but here goes...

I'm sitting behind a restrictive firewall that only allows traffic through port 80. I would like to use a torrent program though! It's not possible to change any ports!!

Any ideas?

HereInOz
November 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
For starters, the reason that administrators restrict to port 80 is to prevent torrents and p2p sharing in the first place, so you may cause some angst in the organisation if you try to circumvent the firewall restriction.

Having said that, have you tried setting the listening port for the torrent software to port 80. It may work, but if they have also restricted the protocol to http(s) then you are probably in strife.

Other than that, I can't think of any other way apart from setting up your own little proxy gateway to route all traffic from your computer via port 80 into the lan, but I am guessing that is a step too far, and would probably be picked up by the system administrators.

beno1990
November 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
You'd have to be more specific, what is the firewall, is it your own computer/network or is it on something like a college/corporate network, for example?

lakersforce
November 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
You'd have to be more specific, what is the firewall, is it your own computer/network or is it on something like a college/corporate network, for example?

the latter

hyper_ch
November 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
asking on this forums how to circumvent security policies on a corporate network (or some other network that you don't administrate) is a violation of the forum's Code of Conduct.

There is a reason why those precautions are in place and if you feel a need to that you need more right, ask the admins of that network.

overdrank
November 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yes please contact your admin for privileges. Thread closed