PDA

View Full Version : Show your Splashy, USplash, GRUB splash screen

Piraja
November 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Let me start. I won't post a video screencast of the Splashy screen or a theme tarball (yet), because "sudo splashy test" showed a flickering progress bar in the Gnome terminal emulator as well as in TTY and if I let it run for a moment too long(?), it caused a crash... However, the real thing works fine (that is, when I reboot). More on the GRUB background(s) here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6135525&postcount=65).

ADDITION & DISCLAIMER (edited Nov. 26): I decided to add the Splashy "Testcard" theme tarball, after all. As I said, "sudo splashy test" does not work properly with the theme, at least on my oldish low-end hardware (I tried it on my Acer 2354 laptop & Compaq Evo D 510 desktop). It caused a crash. So if you decide to use (or test) my "Testcard" theme, do it at your own risk. I will not reply to support requests, either — I'm rather in need of support myself. The theme.xml file (essential parts just copied from the splashy-themes package) should be fine, and I can't see what could be wrong with the image files, so this might be a bug.

Piraja
November 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM
this might be a bug.
So it seems; no matter which theme I choose, "sudo splashy test" results in strange behaviour and/or "Error -2". Nevertheless, my nostalgic retro TV theme works... (Oh yes, for those of you born yesterday, the test card is a colour television relic from the 70's and 80's!) I attach also the screen we don't want to see too often: the Error screen.

Piraja
November 27th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The source image for these is of course strictly copyrighted material. Quoting Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=13876101): "The cover art copyright is believed to belong to the label, Virgin Records or Warner Bros. Records, or the graphic artist." This is funny, because they really should know the "graphic artist" is none other than Jamie Reid. I hope these customizations of mine fit within the limits of Fair Use.

I must say that even though I prefer Linux and FOSS, I don't really hold anything against Microsoft and I usually think the jokes about Window$ (hah) are not particularly funny, but I found the idea of "windows" and "gates" against "open source" productive of other ideas — "Don't knock down an open door", etc. You know the joke, I don't know whose originally, "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?" But I don't hate Bill Gates and I don't believe we have or will have a world without walls and fences and Windows, and that's why I put "WINDOWS" & "GATES" between inverted commas, to point out that it's rather a question of words and ideas than persons and OS's. The pun's the point, the point's the pun, and the fact that "Windows" & "Gates" and walls and fences are OK, as long as we have alternatives and freedom to choose. Never mind = I don't care, and I even don't care if I sometimes have to use M$ products.

Edition / Addition: The TestCard theme looks pretty good even on a 20-inch wide screen monitor, while for the Sex Pistols rip-off even my laptop's 15.4" screen is a bit too much. Might be better if the "album cover" wasn't diagonal. And I could not figure out how to change the progress bar: now it's rather bulky, dark red on grey (not visible in the pics, of course). The command "sudo test splashy" still causes weird behaviour and a crash, even though the theme works all right.

For excellent Splashy Themes Wiki documentation (http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/themes), see the link some four words back.