PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 advice to advocate Ubuntu

ndefontenay
November 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I promote Linux Ubuntu around me for a while now, so I wanted to share a bit of advice on a few things to consider when and after convincing someone to do the jump.

1) Don't force them.

I've seen people so bad with computers that they would stick to their locked pirated version of windows rather than changing it to something free and great by fear something would break... (when everything is already broken!!!) If they want to change only to get rid of you they will consider you liable for all their future problems. A key point of a good move is that the person (not the user) has to own his new OS.

2) Identify their needs

If they have been finally convinced and really willing to change. Make sure what use they got for their computer. Very often they use internet, they use emails, they do some text edition with word. A gamer is won't be able to switch...
Someone using photoshop or other adobe products could do the move but has to accept to learn another tool... Which brings us to the next point

3) They must understand that Linux is not windows

I always make it very clear that they most certainly won't have the exact same tool as they do on windows. There is an equivalent and there's definitely a short learning curve to reach pleasure in the new world.

4) Backup their data.

Since Hardy Heron, users data are imported, but not all. There will probably be a different partition with a lot of data on it. If everything is properly organized, it will be a breeze. Otherwise, some extra space could be useful. Use an external hard drive eventually. Knowing that his data are safe, the person will do the jump happier.

5) Have them do it themselves

Changing the booting sequence is tough, but installing Linux is easy. Let them enjoy their first try. The experience starts there! Data are backed up anyway. I usually set up the boot sequence for them and have them do the install on their own. It works. They were not excellent users. Most have no idea how it works inside the box but ubuntu installation is really really easy.

Insist on a password they will remember!

6) Complete the installation with the usual

They will need their music, their video, their DVD player. This is not out of the box. A normal user will have wmv, wma, mp3 etc...

7) Polish with a little visit of the mansion

Show them the organization of the menu, the space, the administration.

8) The smartest are not the easiest.

With those who knows more than average you might face the "super user syndrom". He knows how to change his background, he knows how to change and modify a few things on windows he maybe even installed windows blinds and now is completely lost. Therefore Linux sucks because he has no idea how to do those changes. The best people for a switch are the least tech savvy.

They might even love the much clearer application organization
in the menu.

It turns out it was a top 8 after all.
What is your experience with this people?

karellen
November 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
lucky me I don't advocate :)

ndefontenay
November 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have fun advocating.
It's not easy to convince but passion breaks all barriers.

They usually give a serious thinking to Linux when they see compiz in action asking "does that work on windows". I bite my lips, feel sorry for them and say a bit sorry "No. You'll need something better than windows". You've got to use linux for that. Making faces while saying it gives more effects x)

halovivek
November 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
i have done some advocate. but the two thing pending.
1. get webcam working with yahoo
2. output of phone jack is not working. normal computer speaker works.

all the word,pdf files everything is going fine. i have done this one for 2 guys.

thelinuxer
November 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I have fun advocating.
It's not easy to convince but passion breaks all barriers.

They usually give a serious thinking to Linux when they see compiz in action asking "does that work on windows". I bite my lips, feel sorry for them and say a bit sorry "No. You'll need something better than windows". You've got to use linux for that. Making faces while saying it gives more effects x)

LOL! That's actually the best way to convince anyone to do the switch. The most common problem I face with people is games. There are not techies, they don't want to spend a weekend trying to install a game. And after installing it they find out that it always crash and 90% of the time it's not playable :D

I hope the project PlayOnLinux will break this barrier soon

Happy Advocating

ndefontenay
November 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Switching a gamer is a no no for me.

I simply won't tell him to switch. we need to gain a bigger community to get interesting for EA games and the like.

When they will release games for Linux a LOT of people will do the jump.

night_fox
November 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
9) Dont preach. When I installed Ubuntu I was really happy and told loads of people. One of my housemates goes on and on and on about how awesome he thinks vista is just to annoy me.

Dave.YNA
November 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty new to linux, loving it and not very tech savvy, so you may have a point.

The only problem I have found is that there seems to be a large gap in knowledge between experienced and inexperienced users. I tend to find the experienced users tend to fry my brains with technical jargon whilst the inexpereinced people maybe do not know enough to help. Having said that, since everyone is so friendly and eager to help, I have never had a problem that cannot be overcome, it just takes a little longer sometimes.

ndefontenay
November 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
True.

There's still the need to go to a command line and type in some commands.

But in fact... It's just easier than saying go to the file menu>Locate the "options" button> When you've clicked on it, search for the advanced tab> etc...

Command lines means copy/paste of stuffs.

@night_fox> Same for me here. I got a friend like that. That's because you consider it's a windows/linux war. Well it's not... Just take his words. If he claims vista is best for x/y reasons, acknowledge. We don't possess an absolute truth, we got an alternative.

This is in fact the toughest argument when talking people into linux.

"Why would I use Linux? I've bought windows Vista, it gots the super 3d effects. I've got a word processor and yeah right photoshop is pirated but so what?"

Some people simply don't care that much about desktop customization. They don't mind having pirated software. What can you do? You know that their super 3d effects are in fact crappy. They don't...

To me if he's happy like that then good enough. I'll invite him home to have a look at something different. That's all I can do. Sometimes they'll act unimpressed just because of their ego. Just give them a CD you've burn for the occasion. Then ask him to just try it. It requires no install.

Then ask if they've tried it every once and then. It takes weeks sometimes but it's sitting on their desk or in their bag. One day they clean up the bag and go "hey what if I tried it."

Maybe that still because of the ego he won't tell you anything but he would already have a nickname on our forum x)

My point is keep trying!

billgoldberg
November 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty new to linux, loving it and not very tech savvy, so you may have a point.

The only problem I have found is that there seems to be a large gap in knowledge between experienced and inexperienced users. I tend to find the experienced users tend to fry my brains with technical jargon whilst the inexpereinced people maybe do not know enough to help. Having said that, since everyone is so friendly and eager to help, I have never had a problem that cannot be overcome, it just takes a little longer sometimes.

If you don't understand what someone is telling you, just say it.

I'm sure everyone will take the time to explain it better.

--

As for the list.

It's simple.

If you think they would be better of with Ubuntu, tell them about it, let them use your pc to try it out.

If they are interested, install it on their pc (dual boot) and set it up.

Make sure you back up their data just in case.

chucky chuckaluck
November 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
easy to remember password is actually pretty good advice. i had a student who had a dual boot of xp and red hat (his dad's "computer guy" set it up). he couldn't remember the password for his linux install, so he never used it. how can you get your butt whooped in gnome mahjongg if you can't even get in the game?

ndefontenay
November 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
This is it. You got that one straight. It's all about getting whooped at Mahjongg x)

Dragonbite
November 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I've met and talked with more people about Linux and Ubuntu since I got the black hat from Canonical's store!

Great thing about it is they are coming to me, so I already know there is an interest of one level or another. Depending on how the talk goes if they seem genuinely interested then I'll hand them a CD (which I keep a couple in my laptop bags) and try and give them some starting pointers.

Yesterday we had a few kids over at the house and my son and two boys were playing SuperTuxCart. When their Mom came into the room, one of the kids was asking if they could get it on their computer! :) I had to explain to her that it is running Linux and that it isn't as easy as just downloading and installing the game.

Plus she has a Mac, which I am very unfamiliar with compared to Windows and Linux.

By my philosophy is largely being a beacon one can see, and if they are interested then let them come.

ndefontenay
November 25th, 2008, 02:20 AM
The ready to offer CD is an excellent idea. We should all have a couple of the newest version to hand out around us..

I've got to buy a bunch of CD boxes to carry them.

-grubby
November 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Since Hardy Heron, users data are imported

It's been this way since at least Feisty

ndefontenay
November 25th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I don't recall having that luck on Feisty but the point here is that even though this is now possible there's always more.

All those doing advocacy has to be aware of that and make sure nothing will be lost, including data outside of the import's frame.

liquid.silver
November 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
It is sometimes annoying when people ask, "What is linux?" but i've heard it so many times that i'm not offended, but i always end up saying, "It's like windows, except not." It would be nice if i could just give them a cd, but most of the people i meet play games and i'm very straight-forward about that. Linux can do everything windows can do and more, just not gaming. This seems to weed out the people who aren't really interested and then i can help those that are serious.

At our university (stellenbosch) there is a great level of support for linux. We have local servers where most isos for most distros are available and we have a local repository mirror. There is also a small wiki (ubuntu.sun.ac.za) to help beginners. This is a great help to me too, because i can basically just give the guy a cd and tell him to look at the wiki. Then i only need to help with more specific problems.

My marketing is simple, when they have a problem with windows, like they inevitably do, i simply say, "i know how to fix all your problems" and continue to tell them a bit about linux. sometimes i also show them some nifty thing like ssh tunneling a connection from my cellphone thru a few servers and controlling the music on my laptop, that one's always a talking point :) i have basically never found something i couldn't do in linux.

inobe
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 AM
i tell the complainers to go back to windows ...

i often use the term "you got this far and now you throw in your hat"

most of the time this keeps them trying .

its difficult to get a person to use something other than windows, one reason being' they love to defrag and scrub' however when that's done they find ways to filth their systems all over again, installing twenty different scrubbers/ reg cleaners/ two or more search engines, bunzi buddy, weatherbug, then they play a game.

files that could not be defraged gets under their skin, it drives them mad searching for third party crapware to defrag avi and mp3 files, they somehow think it will offer an extreme amount of performance.

it is difficult to show someone the light at the end of the tunnel and actually convince them to go that direction' after all that stuff mentioned above is their comfort zone, its what they call real work and productivity .

yes, i am an advocate.

Dragonbite
November 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
It is sometimes annoying when people ask, "What is linux?" but i've heard it so many times that i'm not offended, but i always end up saying, "It's like windows, except not."

i tell the complainers to go back to windows ...

i often use the term "you got this far and now you throw in your hat"

most of the time this keeps them trying .

I like that answer, "throw in your hat.."

We need to set up a page where we can put down good answers for the recurring questions/statements. That way is sounds clearer and more impressive than "um.. well.. uh... you see... like..." (etc.)

ndefontenay
November 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM
This is an excellent idea.

I'll do a new thread for that.

liquid.silver
November 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Well at ubuntu.sun.ac.za we cover quite a few of the beginner questions and i almost always direct people there.

But one thing that i think needs to be emphasised is: be very careful when installing, to prevent data loss. I can't tell you how many times i've had to recover partitions for people who've messed up.

Dragonbite
November 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM
This is an excellent idea.

I'll do a new thread for that.

Make sure you paste the link here (or at least PM me).

meindian523
November 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM
DragoBite:
There are other advocates who just read the thread,subscribe to it and lurk and don't reply,you know.And a PM is not exactly going to inform the lurkers.Please post the link here.

ndefontenay
April 27th, 2009, 04:37 AM
New thread for question/answers like a year later.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7156924

MaxIBoy
April 27th, 2009, 04:44 AM

The only problem I have found is that there seems to be a large gap in knowledge between experienced and inexperienced users. I tend to find the experienced users tend to fry my brains with technical jargon whilst the inexpereinced people maybe do not know enough to help. Having said that, since everyone is so friendly and eager to help, I have never had a problem that cannot be overcome, it just takes a little longer sometimes.Just google it when you hit a word you don't understand. That's what I do, and it works okay for me. :)