PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] completely remove grub2...for real

qwertymodo
November 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I was recently trying out grub2, decided I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it and went back to grub legacy. In the process a lot of stuff got messed up and I had to jump through a lot of hoops just to get grub back and happy. Now I try to run the startupmanager gui and it tells me grub2 is still detected, but then it stops running because grub.cfg is missing :(. Yes, I know grub.cfg is missing, i deleted it myself after "completely removing" grub2 apparently didn't work as advertised. What other files and references have been left behind? Why is startupmanager still recognizing grub2 as being installed? I have even completely uninstalled and reinstalled startupmanager. Any ideas?

caljohnsmith
November 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM
You might want to take a look at Grub2's list of installed files:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/i386/grub-pc/filelist

You could go through those directories manually in your Ubuntu and make sure there is no trace of Grub2 leftover.

qwertymodo
November 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Found some leftovers, just deleted them and am trying a reboot to see if it worked.

qwertymodo
December 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
yay, it worked. I reinstalled the original grub just to be sure i didn't mess it up in the process and i works fine now.