PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Boot/Install issues (CD and USB)

ufmace
November 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu Ibex on an old-ish desktop that I have lying around here, and I'm running into a couple of issues. (computer is a P4 2ghz with 256mb RAM)

First, I tried to boot from the install CD. I have successfully booted two other computers from this CD, so I know that the CD itself is fine. However, this computer just doesn't seem to read the CD properly. It won't boot from it at all (even when I configure BIOS to boot from CD only), and when I boot into Windows and try to explore the CD, it comes up as a music CD with a single track. Very strange - any ideas here?

So after that, I booted another computer I have with the install CD as a LiveCD and used it to create a USB boot disk (2GB thumbdrive). The computer won't boot off of this either. But when I boot into Windows, the thumbdrive and its contents are at least visible. So I tried the umenu app, which offered an option to install Ubuntu as an application. Okay, that sounds like it has some potential.

I tried this option, and it seems to want to download the install from the internet. Huh? I already downloaded everything and put it on a CD and the thumbdrive. Why can't I just install from that instead of waiting 8 hours to download it all again? Is there any way to convince it to use the files already on the thumbdrive?

Any other ideas on things I'm missing for how to get Ubuntu installed on this computer?

decard_pain
November 24th, 2008, 02:54 AM
ok if memory serves me you can pick an iso stored on the hard disk.
if not try unetbooting and tell that where the iso is

google for unetbootin