PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Root permissions changed. How to recover?

roadrawts
November 24th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I accidentally changed permissions in / to 744. I thought I was in a different directory. Now everything is blank. How can I recover from this dumb move?

psusi
November 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I don't know what you mean by "everything is blank" but just chmod it back.

sisco311
November 24th, 2008, 02:21 AM
if you changed the permissions recursively(chmod -R ...), then backup your data and reinstall ubuntu.

if not, then boot a live cd, mount the partition and restore the permissions to 755:

sudo chmod 755 /mount/point

roadrawts
November 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I don't know what you mean by "everything is blank" but just chmod it back.
I can't get to a terminal from rebooting. The screen is just blank when I reboot. ESC doesn't do anything. CTL-ALT-F1 doesn't do anything either. Do I have to boot from a CD?

roadrawts
November 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I'm downloading a live cd on another computer. But isn't there a keyboard sequence that will bring me into terminal mode from 8.04? Earlier versions of Ubuntu let me do that.

sisco311
November 24th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I'm downloading a live cd on another computer. But isn't there a keyboard sequence that will bring me into terminal mode from 8.04? Earlier versions of Ubuntu let me do that.

Try to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to swith to the virtual terminal.

Or try to reboot your computer and select Recovery Mode from the Grub menu.
When the computer first starts up, you have a few seconds to push esc to go into GRUB.

In the root shell type:

chmod 755 /
reboot

roadrawts
November 24th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Ok. Thank you all. I can't get ESC to work to get me into the GRUB menu. Don't know what's wrong. I'll just keep plugging away.