PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my bind9 server as a public dynamic dns server...how?

alienseer23
November 24th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Ok, so I am tinkering with the idea of deploying a small hosting service. I plan on (hopefully) doing website hosting, vps hosting, shared hosting, email hosting and smtp relay hosting and DNS service.

I cannot seem to find an easy solution to provide dynamic dns solutions, and this is important. I am looking for something as easy to interface with on a client side as, say everydns.com that allows updates by hand, by browser, or client application.
Thanks

---joshp

Thirtysixway
November 24th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Doing all of this with your own servers or servers you're renting someplace?

It isn't going to be easy to setup. It sounds like either a lot of custom coding, or a lot of research to find all the necessary software and components.

alienseer23
November 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
doing it with my own server.

I know there are tools to

1. update the dns remotely
2. give dns webbased administration for sign ups and allowing others to utilize your dns server for their domain (sourceforge is a goodplace to look)

but I cannot find anything that allows the client interaction with domain listing to a DNS server AND is dynamic enabled.

alienseer23
November 26th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Anyone? I need some direction on setting up a dynamic dns service. Everything else I can manage...