PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LAMP server neccessary

usielt05
November 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I have just built a new pc for my dad running ubuntu 8.10, but I now have a nice old pc just taking up space in my room and wanted to turn it into a server (ubuntu of course) for file sharing. i have been reading up on a couple of options, but I would like some perspective from someone that actually knows.

its a 6 year old sony vaio P4,256Mb of RAM with a nice big hard drive (around 250Gb, i can't remember).
i basically want it for storage: photos, videos, music, etc. and be accessible to anyone in our home. (dragging the external hard drive across the house once a week is getting tiresome).

Is a LAMP setup neccessary? If I understand correctly, its more for website development. I have never setup a server and can't wait to tinker, modify, explore one. It's the holidays and I need a new toy :)

I really don't mind messing things up and starting all over, but, while i do learn better that way, my family won't be too happy.

So, for the sake of time what would be an optimal setup for a basic file server? Samba and openssh?

Thanks for your suggestions.

P.S I will be using the CLI.

Philio
November 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
You want Samba :)

Have a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605