PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Ubuntu under window system on desktop??

duan77084
November 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi, All:

I am new with Ubuntu. I just downloaded Ubuntu8.10i386 and burned it on CD.

My computer is windows Vista home. I want to install ubuntu without erase my window system. I want both window system and linux in my computer at the same time.

If both systems can exist in one hard drive, is Ubuntu an icon to be acessed on desktop after installation?
Please tell me the exact installing procedures if someone did the samething, which include how to partition harddrve during the installation.

Thanks very much in advance.

Oliver.BS
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
going to sound very silly here but put the CD in and their will be instruction which will allow to try Ubuntu,Install etc etc but remember to press f12 when booting then boot from CD

binbash
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
You can install via wubi or normal ubuntu disc if you have additional partition.No you cant open ubuntu with clicking an icon Unless you install the box via virtual machine like virtualbox or vmware etc.

If you want to use both windows and linux, install the box(ubuntu) via virtual machine

damis648
November 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Mainly, all you will need to do is to boot from the CD. To do this, enter your BIOS settings and set the CD Drive as the first boot device (It might already be). After doing this, turn on the computer with the CD in the drive. You will be prompted for your language, and then select "Install Ubuntu". Once it loads, you will be greeted by a nice welcome screen which will guide you through the installation. When it come to the partition stage, it will offer the option of shrinking your Windows partition and installing Ubuntu on the leftover space. Use that, and move the slider to your liking. Continue through answering all the questions. When all said and done, when you power up your computer it will ask what you want to use: Ubuntu or Windows. Good luck!

smarva
November 23rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Is this true with a laptop Compaq Presario F755LA?

damis648
November 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Is this true with a laptop Compaq Presario F755LA?

Yes :popcorn:

stalkingwolf
November 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Make sure to defrag your windows system a couple times before you start
your Ubuntu install.

DGortze380
November 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Sounds like you want a virtual machine. Research Virtual Box before you do an install please.