PDA

View Full Version : Lux Nocturna - film made (almost) entirely with Ubuntu

jamyskis
November 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

In the process of learning to make movies, I've put together a short 3 minute film in the hope of learning to use Kino/Cinelerra etc.

It should be noted that the film was edited, scored and titled entirely using Kino Video Editor under Ubuntu 8.04. I've also put together a rudimentary DVD using DVDStyler.

That means that, with the exception of the camera (which is a mobile phone running Windows Mobile 6 - sorry!), every piece of software used in making this film was free and open.

It's also worth noting that the filmmaking process lasted a whole 7 hours - I started learning Kino at 12pm this afternoon, drove down to Bad Pyrmont, got myself some footage, drove back, edited it and compiled it, all before 7pm. I've just uploaded it to YouTube, so feel free to have a look - would be glad of your comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o95EOHJOcFc

tadcan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I voted for the second option.

Ok so I liked the mood you created. But all you had was mood, helped mainly by the music. What software were the subtitles done with. If it was from youtube then that is another layer of non-Foss software used.

The subtitles could be difficult to read because there were only up briefly. And seemed to be apologising for the work because its your first try. And got distracting.

To be pedantic there was no actual editing of the video. It was one continuous shot. An edit is two different shots put together.

Vadi
November 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I was kind of between first and second, but 60% for the second so :)

chucky chuckaluck
November 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
what kind of dog was the camera strapped to? b'dum-ching!1 kidding aside, it has a nice mood, but nothing happens. nothing happening would be much better without all those constantly apologetic captions.

earthpigg
November 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hi all,
That means that, with the exception of the camera (which is a mobile phone running Windows Mobile 6 - sorry!), every piece of software used in making this film was free and open.

...I've just uploaded it to YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o95EOHJOcFc

whoops!

it had to be pointed out ;)

Sealbhach
November 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM
48 seconds in and still nothing happening... not a good way to start a film. The content reminded me of too many drunken nights stumbling home and getting lost.:)

Please keep going though, it looks like it could be a music video or something.

jamyskis
November 24th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Hi everyone, and thanks for the opinions.

It really was only a test piece, and it really was only supposed to evoke a mood. The captions on YouTube can be switched off if you click at the bottom right to deactivate them. They're only meant to serve as a little commentary. They're really a YouTube thing - the real film and DVD are sitting on my laptop here. And I'm a little reluctant to upload a 20MB film on 100MB webspace, especially with bandwidth concerns.

Actually, technically speaking, there was editing, as a chunk of the footage was removed from the start, and the credits and opening sections were also their own footage.

But the comments were great - keep 'em coming (and I'm going to start storyboarding a second film today)

Eisenwinter
November 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I like the footage, I like the sound track, but all those explanation subtitles are annoying as hell, and there are way too many of them.

None the less, good usage of free software, keep it up.