PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying to play a 1080p .wmv file that is WVC1 encoded?

ijason
November 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
i've searched for a couple hours to try and find an existing thread that answers my question, but i haven't yet, so i'm posting a new one.

i have several large (1-2gig) .wmv files i'm trying to watch. with VLC, or mPlayer i get blocky garbage peppered with few-second-long bits of the video working, and a whole lot of black screen between. i assumed this was due to chronic problems with ubuntu and the .wmv format, and maybe an issue with only having one gig of ram.

however, when i put the .wmv file on a windows machine it promptly requested to download a codec for the WVC1 video format... which it failed to find. and now i'm reading a lot of people saying that WVC1 is only supported by Windows Media Player version 11, and that there is no support for it in the ubuntu community?

i can't find any posts newer than 2007, so any help would be really appreciated.

kostkon
November 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
i've searched for a couple hours to try and find an existing thread that answers my question, but i haven't yet, so i'm posting a new one.

i have several large (1-2gig) .wmv files i'm trying to watch. with VLC, or mPlayer i get blocky garbage peppered with few-second-long bits of the video working, and a whole lot of black screen between. i assumed this was due to chronic problems with ubuntu and the .wmv format, and maybe an issue with only having one gig of ram.

however, when i put the .wmv file on a windows machine it promptly requested to download a codec for the WVC1 video format... which it failed to find. and now i'm reading a lot of people saying that WVC1 is only supported by Windows Media Player version 11, and that there is no support for it in the ubuntu community?

i can't find any posts newer than 2007, so any help would be really appreciated.
Do you have the w32codecs installed? They will be used by Mplayer or Totem, for example, but not by VLC, which only uses its own codecs.

ijason
November 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
i have all of the codecs installed that were part of the mediabuntu project.

synaptic gives version 20071007-Omedibuntu2 as the installed w32codecs

Tom--d
November 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Its most likey your Graphics Card since 1080p needs a good GPU.

My Intel (965) card cant handle it.

Also, in Mplayer, make the video to Xv (This is then accelerated by the GPU. Not CPU.)

ijason
November 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
sadly, my video card is still the onboard video chip. :) i will eventually upgrade to an actual video card, but not just yet.

any word on VLC /mPlayer support for this WVC1 codec? or support from any other program available to ubuntu?

bobnutfield
November 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Type in a terminal:

locate wvc1

If you get output like:

/usr/lib/codecs/wvc1dmod.dll

then it is likely that you have the necessary codec to play that media. Can't confirm, of course, but I believe you will find that as previously mentioned, 1080p requires at 256mb of dedicated graphics memory, I believe. Someone may correct me, but I believe that is your main problem.

ijason
November 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
ah... thanks bob. i do get the response that indicates i have the driver for wvc1 in a .dll file. so at least that confirms i have the right driver :)

ha. i think my onboard video is 128 megs of shared memory! i have seen a lot of talk about needing more ram and a substantial video card to handle the 1080p vidoes, so i think that must be my biggest problem.

bobnutfield
November 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
If you have an older PC with an AGP slot, you can pick up an nVidia 5500FX for about 10 ($15) on eBay. I have that card in an old AMD64 3400 and it handles just about anything I can throw at it.

shifty_powers
November 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
inclduing hd 1080p? i severely doubt it.

dude, unless you have a beefy 3ghz core2duo minimum, you ain't play hd content with integrated graphics...

ijason
November 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM
apparently not!

i'm running a real light box right now, it has a decent 3ghz processor, but only a gig of ram and still using the onboard for graphics. it has a PCIexpress card for when i eventually put in the video card.

my biggest concern was if it was a software/codec issue.

Neostar
November 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM
You can get graphic cards with built-in support for 1080p video. But I suggest you re-encode that video to play on your current system.