PDA

View Full Version : Did you join Ubuntu/Linux for the acceptance?

blithen
November 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I was watching this video in my Psychology class and they were talking about how people join groups to feel accepted, to feel the belong somewhere. Then they showed a few clips of a few groups that people generally join in to feel accepted, and to my astonishment Linux popped up! And I was just wondering if any of you joined Ubuntu/Linux for that reason, or partly that reason? Because I know the warmth of the community keeps bringing me back to Ubuntu.

beno1990
November 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Well... I started using Linux when I was 13 because I was a nerd. But then, after using more tech-guy type distros like Gentoo, I've settled on Ubuntu as my main distro. Why? I'm not sure, it might be partly because of the warmth of the community around Ubuntu, and also partly because even though I'm a comp-sci student, I prefer distros like Ubuntu which are easy to install and use in comparison (Linus Torvalds has stated he feels the same way).

So I'd say it's 50% technical reasons and 50% community reasons.

chucky chuckaluck
November 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
i just hope the groups i did join for acceptance don't know i post here.

unknown03
November 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I joined because I was having trouble booting the LiveCD :guitar:

Swagman
November 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Could be something in that.

I was an Amigan before Ubuntu-ite.

doas777
November 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
well, on the psychology level I would say most did it to be different, rather than to gain a sense of sameness or community. that comes later. linux has a deep thread of 1337-ness to it, and that is defeated if too many squares do the same thing.

linux is really for the malcontent. as such I would say we are rebels, and non-conformists, which runs contrary to the proposition that we are seeking a community and that that is why we are drawn to linux.

I personally think my very practical reasons for moving to unbuntu we're my primary motivation, but i'm candid enough with myself to know that theres more to my reasoning, including personal smugness, paranoia, an OCD sense of control, and mistrust of profit motives.

just my two bits, don't wanna offend anyone, thats just how i see it.

Simian Man
November 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Do you mean do we use Linux for that reason, do we use Ubuntu in particular for that reason or did we join these forums for that reason? In my case none of the three, but I am just curious what you are asking.

days_of_ruin
November 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
What do you mean by join? I used ubuntu for quite a while before I joined
any forums/groups.

perlluver
November 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I joined the community to give back, and to help others. When I was setting up I used a lot of the documentation, and was hoping I could help give back. So did I join for being part of a group, I suppose I did.

Sealbhach
November 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
And I was just wondering if any of you joined Ubuntu/Linux for that reason, or partly that reason? Because I know the warmth of the community keeps bringing me back to Ubuntu.

I was fleeing from Vista, I didn't know anything about Open Source philosophy or the Ubuntu community.

Tom--d
November 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
I was looking for an alternative to Windows Vista on my laptop. Ask around on a game website I used to play. Some one suggest Ubuntu.

Did a lot of reasearch. Finanlly install it. Love it.
I know more about computers now for a 16 year old.

Now I help people on the forums when I have spare time.

Afkpuz
November 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Blithen, in your signature, you say "WARNING: If anyone tells you to do sudo rm -rf ANYTHING do NOT do it. " There have been several threads that have said we should not say this in our signatures. Rather, you should say something like "The command sudo rm -rf will delete completely whatever folder follows the command. Make sure you understand commands before you execute them." Just FYI

-grubby
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
No. If I wanted to join a group for acceptance I'd probably buy a Mac.

benerivo
November 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I will stay because of the number of people involved. It is very friendly, and even if the numbers dropped it would be hard to leave because these are very nice forums to ask questions in. The reason for this is that that threre are so many fellow newbies. Questions on other forums are often answered by a 'knowledgeable minority who can tend to have a superiority complex". Linux Forums (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/) and Linux Questions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/) are also very nice as they are intrinsically neutral.

Vadi
November 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM
No. Windows refugee

zmjjmz
November 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I joined the forum because I figured it would be nice to have a membership in case anything goes wrong.
Oh, and to get stuff on my MacBook working.

Tomosaur
November 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I started using Linux because I had a laptop which ran Windows very very slowly and I wanted to get it to a usable speed.

Motomo
November 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I started using Ubuntu when my windows machine went belly up and I lost my recovery partition as well. Friend told me to give it a try and that was about 18 months ago and it is by far the best OS I have ever used.

lukjad
November 24th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I was watching this video in my Psychology class and they were talking about how people join groups to feel accepted, to feel the belong somewhere. Then they showed a few clips of a few groups that people generally join in to feel accepted, and to my astonishment Linux popped up! And I was just wondering if any of you joined Ubuntu/Linux for that reason, or partly that reason? Because I know the warmth of the community keeps bringing me back to Ubuntu.
I don't like to think too long on reasons when they don't matter and/or they are too long ago. I joined because I needed help (I think) and stayed because I was having fun.

I-75
November 24th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Seriously, I could care less if I am accepted or not. I joined this forum because I needed to know more about the Operating System I am using. I also needed to know why a simple update killed my wireless and add/remove programs. (I did find out some 10 minutes later).

I learn by reading posts from others. As far WHY I use Linux, again the acceptance thing is so far removed its not even on the scale. I use Linux (Ubuntu and other distros) because I got tired of having to deal with viruses and malware and Ubuntu runs faster than Vista. I also still use XP for some programs (and won't apologize for it either).

I am sure the OP meant well in asking...but I believe most people joined this forum for some sort of support or to learn more about Ubuntu.

Bloch
November 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM
In the USA and highly-developed countries computers are cheap, windows XP and MS Office are relatively cheap. The decision to use open source is motivated by ones' political views and idealism, with a certain number of cutting-edge people who like to try the latest and greatest.

In some other countries computers are expensive items - a months pay or more - and old 486 chips are still being used. The difficulty of obtaining reliable bootleg versions of windows and MS office drives many to linux and open source. There are also I'm sure a certain proportion of people who don't feel comfortable using bootleg software, or those in business who can be sued.

I know many in Poland who use ubuntu for very pragmatic reasons.

In the USA linux is connected with liberal / democrat views. I think most people in the USA are at least aware of the "linux zealot" caricature. Other countries don't really have this caricature - in some poorer countries it's seen as an interesting alternative to pirated software - often with the advantage that it will be in the local language.

loell
November 24th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I accept you all.. :biggrin:

http://londonist.com/attachments/London_Drew/Group_hug1.jpg

FuturePilot
November 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Not at all. I started using Ubuntu because it worked for me. I didn't even join here until about 2 months after using Ubuntu.

Bölvağur
November 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I installed linux because I had close to no experience with it but had see it on a friend's computer.
I really liked the ideology of it, which I have now almost lost.

I am probably not very liked on the forums here.. probably no one remembers my nick.. so I cannot see how I can be linked to using linux for the community.:(

eternalnewbee
November 24th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Then they showed a few clips of a few groups that people generally join in to feel accepted, and to my astonishment Linux popped up! And I was just wondering if any of you joined Ubuntu/Linux for that reason, or partly that reason? Because I know the warmth of the community keeps bringing me back to Ubuntu.
In my case it was my principals that led me to Ubuntu. Lucky me;-)

DOS4dinner
November 24th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I joined because I started getting tired of my 5 minute boot up time.

bobbocanfly
November 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Nope. "Joined" purely out of curiosity. I'd heard of this Linux thing but didnt really know what it was about. Installed it on an old computer and instantly fell in love with it.

Even joining the developers group, wasn't because I wanted to show off whatever awesome skillz i have, but merely because it interests me and I wanted to help out.

sharon.gmc
November 24th, 2008, 02:30 AM
That got me thinking. . . yeah. . i guess so. .

ndefontenay
November 24th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I joined to give back.

I've use Linux for quite some time although I'm still quite a noob.

The philosophy of open source is about taking and giving back.
My giving back is on advocacy and support/training if required around me (neighbourhood, friends, office).

I've successfully switched about 5 persons who did the installation by themselves (I just helped boot on the CD) and every time they are amazed that it would be so simple. They always think it's going to be something extremely different, hard to understand.

They joined because they were tired of the faked windows installation when servicing their computer (We are in thailand).

I ask them to spread the word of their success around them if I need support for my words.

So, somehow I'm building my own little tribe x) I insert the ubuntu forum in their firefox favorites but none of them needed it so far... They use a computer for internet, skype with family in their home country, emails and a bit of text edition.

This type of persons (not users) are my target of choice.

Nico

Mr. Picklesworth
November 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
In a sense, actually, I guess I did. My first ever Linux distro was DSLinux (homebrew embedded Linux port to the Nintendo DS). I felt that it would be nice if I could give back, by contributing something. To do that, I installed Ubuntu (following the wonderful advice of people on the DSLinux web forum). I then proceeded to port / test a few applications and in the process fell in love with Ubuntu. While it's a fixer-upper, it isn't impossible to fix it.

I wouldn't say I did it for other people to accept me, though; I frankly couldn't care less about that. I did it so I could accept myself! To give back for that warm fuzzy feeling of good will that geeks like so much :)

Zero Prime
November 24th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I started using cause I got tired of all the crap I had to deal with using Windows.

EdThaSlayer
November 24th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I joined Linux for the acceptance. I feel powerful along my brethren, feel joy along those like minded individuals. Linux is my life. It defines who I'm and what I will do. Hopefully you like that answer.:)

73ckn797
November 24th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I am here because I had questions about an totally different computing environment from Windows.

What I have learned I have passed along to others who are where I have been in using Ubuntu.

Acceptance? I do not look for that here.

If I have made some friends, though in a digital fashion, fine.

ice60
November 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM
i use linux because i like computers. most computer geeks/nerds are really, really irritating and i'm not bothered if they don't accept me.

none of my friends i know have any interest in linux and most people i know just tell me straight out not to talk about it, so i don't get much acceptance from them for it.

handy
November 24th, 2008, 03:59 AM
After committing to Linux (learn it now or you never will) I initially started with Debian (2 weeks) during which time I kept running across this strange word Ubuntu?

So I searched it out & found the forums where mips solved my Debian internet problem.

So, it was the community here at the forum which caused me to switch to Ubuntu. I haven't used Ubuntu for some time but I enjoy the community, though I did enjoy it more when the BY forum still existed. :-)

I would be using Linux no matter what, as I was fed up with dealing in MS's problems & after closing my business no one was paying me to deal in MS's problems any more. :lolflag:

kevdog
November 24th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Handy

I lament your disappearance since OMGPP has closed. What OS are you using now primarily? Arch?

playonsam
November 24th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Not really?
I looked into it last summer due to the fact that my windows machine was completely incompetent and I was too poor to buy a mac. I didn't end up going through with putting linux on either of my computers until recently after a friend recommended that I try Ubuntu. I like it so far, runs a lot more smoothly and I'm going to put linux on my other computer tonight :]

handy
November 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Handy

I lament your disappearance since OMGPP has closed. What OS are you using now primarily? Arch?

Thanks kevdog, that's kind of you. :-)

Yes, Arch for about 8 months now, & it just keeps growing on me more & more.

I initially used Arch/Gnome then Arch/Openbox & now it's with Xfce. I find Xfce is so easy to setup & use (apart from theme-ing which is a little tedious playing in hex to adjust someone else's theme to suit your own eyes :lolflag: though it was the same in Openbox & anything that uses GTK themes, at least) & there is also a section of the Xfce Menu which is not easy to get at & modify, though really, I don't have to get at it as in Arch I don't have a pile of stuff installed whether I like it or not so my menu is not cluttered, confusing & untidy.

I frequent a few other forums, but they are unfortunately populated by a small group of regulars, & there is little unexpected appears in them for no other reason than the numbers are small. That is what was so wonderful about the BY forum, the large number of regular users bought about both a community feeling & a variety of input. There certainly was a growing pile of rubbish contributed as well, & that is not meant to be in any way elitist, it is just that a lot of posts were not meant to be anything else but thoughtless. :-(

Grant A.
November 24th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I just simply joined because I was on some old online forums and some guy posted a link. :lol:

handy
November 24th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I just simply joined because I was on some old online forums and some guy posted a link. :lol:

Forums are good! :)

almigi
November 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM

That's an interesting question. I joined for a few reasons...

Back when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's, computers were fun, in a nerdy way. When I was a kid I had an Apple IIGS and I used to go to the library and take out books full of BASIC programs. I used to subscribe to Nibble magazine, which for those who don't know, was a magazine full of, well, programs. I loved learning how to make my computer do different things.

The great thing about computers back then were they were as easy or as hard as you wanted them to be. If you were content just using programs you bought at the store, then great, it worked. Just pop a disk in and turn it on! But, if you wanted to "get your hands dirty," all the tools to get started were usually BUILT IN to your computer.

It seems that's gone now a days. My computer came with Vista already installed. Now, I'll admit that on my computer, Vista worked fine. But, well, let's face it, I was bored.

I wanted something different. I tried Linux in the past and thought it was ok at the time, but I didn't stick with it. I started thinking about trying it again, and then I heard about this distribution called, "Ubuntu" that was really gaining wide acceptance. I figured I'd give it a shot. To my very pleasant surprise, it was what I was looking for.

Just like in the old days, I feel like I'm back in control. It worked right out of the box, and so far every program I've installed from the simple Add/Remove Program Interface installed and ran easily.

However, there were a few things I was looking for that weren't so easy. Rather then do without, I was able to get the more complex tasks done too. I did have to get my hands dirty, so to speak, but I was able to do it!

So, to answer your question, I'm here because I want to have nerdy fun again, just I did when I was younger :)

DennisD
November 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Mine will probably be a fairly familiar story.

Sick of the MANY versions of Windows I have suffered through, you name the windows issue, I've had them all. Tired of paying HUGE money in M$ OS for ongoing problems. Tired of running Adaware and CC cleaner just to remove spyware and with the other, keep the registry clean so my systems don't keep slowing down.

Joining this community was a simple matter of if I had any issues, chances are someone else has experienced them and someone else posted a fix. I have as of yet to be disappointed.

I have not as yet become a part of any ubuntu social circle. *chuckle* to be frank, I didn't know there was one.

CholericKoala
November 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Linux users should be smart enough not to get viruses or spyware on windows.

jyaan
November 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I've been using Linux for years now, so I would say no for my case. Ubuntu generally has the most support out of any distro now due to the popularity, so I think it is an obvious choice for most users.

I really got tired of the annoyances in Windows such as viruses, bloating registry, need to re-install, searching for apps online which causes viruses/spyware, etc. Since I was starting to learn programming back then the fact that all the development tools were right there for free was a big incentive. I tried Linux and decided it really was better.

However, the idea that some people use Linux to be in the "cool crowd" is certainly possible. Microsoft has taken a lot of fire lately with Vista, and I would say that Mac are Linux are "cool" alternatives.

On the other hand, Linux is seen by many people as harder to use for some reason (although in reality it isn't...), and maybe someone would like others to think that this somehow makes them good with computers.

In the end, like most things, I'd say it depends on the person.

Rokurosv
November 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Yes I just thought it be cool to hang out with the popular kids.

Actually I was kinda tired of Windows in general, and after trying Vista I decided that I was gonna skip that OS entirely, so I looked for an alternative. I could stick with XP or go with Linux, the answer seemed obvious for me. I don't think I'll ever leave Linux, except to try out Windows 7 for a while perhaps but I don't ever see it leaving my PCs.

handy
November 24th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Linux users should be smart enough not to get viruses or spyware on windows.

Or suffer from elitism! ;-)

CholericKoala
November 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Or suffer from elitism! ;-)

actually my point was the opposite. Linux will have the same problems as Windows if every other person creates a 3rd party program

Grant A.
November 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
actually my point was the opposite. Linux will have the same problems as Windows if every other person creates a 3rd party program

Not really, GNU/Linux stands on a much more sturdy base than Windows does. The NT kernel is good and all, but it isn't as well put together and patched as quickly as the Linux kernel is. On top of that, have you been to SourceForge (http://www.sourceforge.net) lately? There are a TON of Linux apps out there, in fact, there are even MORE out there in the form of libraries and .py scripts.

CholericKoala
November 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Not really, GNU/Linux stands on a much more sturdy base than Windows does. The NT kernel is good and all, but it isn't as well put together and patched as quickly as the Linux kernel is. On top of that, have you been to SourceForge (http://www.sourceforge.net) lately? There are a TON of Linux apps out there, in fact, there are even MORE out there in the form of libraries and .py scripts.

There are a ton of linux apps out there, yes, but only having 3% of the market share does not make hackers want to post malware for linux all over the internet.

Grant A.
November 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
There are a ton of linux apps out there, yes, but only having 3% of the market share does not make hackers want to post malware for linux all over the internet.

Keep in mind that most malware entering a Windows' PC comes from User error, stupidity, and the male sex drive. Also, Linux stands much more firm in terms of security, it doesn't allow spyware to automatically install themselves to it, it doesn't have 1000's of ports open and just waiting to be attacked, and doesn't have vulnerabilities that stay around long, due to the large amount of developers from around the world, awake at all hours, fixing the problems in the kernel, thus patching many vulnerabilities 100x faster than the small team of 30 windows devs. Also, apple has a much greater market share, shares a common system V ancestry with Linux, and has pretty much the same amount of programs out there, but only has 2 viri. Checkmate.

jyaan
November 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM
We also get our software from trusted repositories instead of random unknown places on the net.

Grant A.
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
We also get our software from trusted repositories instead of random unknown places on the net.

Um... that's not the ONLY way to get software for Linux, you know.

jyaan
November 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM
But it's the most common, and that's what any average user is going to do. The average Windows user will hunt around the net for just about everything.

itsStephen
November 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I've started using it because KDE 4.1 looks so nice

toupeiro
November 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I tinkered with slackware in school, long before Linux had nice installation GUI's.. But, what really made me consider it for desktop use was my job. I was beginning to support DG/UX and MicroVAX systems and it intrigued me, and my mentor at the time asked me if I ever ran Linux. I said I tinkered with it a bit, but hadn't really spent any time on it. After talking to him, and he telling me about his days working at Bell Labs and how the whole UNIX OS came to be, and eventually the Linux OS came to be, I went out and got redhat at the end of work that day. It wasn't until about 2005 that I truly felt I could do everything on my desktop with linux that I wanted to without sacrificing too much doing so. That was with SuSE, and then I learned about ubuntu, and I've been using it ever since.

For me, Linux was something new and challenging. And it turned out that I liked it so much that I left my comfort zone of Windows server, software packaging and network administration and took a position that was solely UNIX and Linux administration. Quite a paradigm shift. I was told by people whom I genuinely respected and recognized as good admins that they were surprised to see me do it because they apparently thought I was a really good Windows admin. For me, it was a chance to really see how versatile I was as an IT person, and work with an OS that I enjoy have a whole lot of personal interest in.

Today, I find myself back doing things here and there with windows, software packaging, and networking, but I am still primarily a UNIX/Linux administrator and it has turned out to be the best career move I ever made so far. I have more fun at work, and I sleep better at night because Linux excels at doing what its told without losing its brain and needing admin assistance. Its not everybody whose career is also their hobby and favorite time passer, second only to music, that is :)

siliconut
November 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
i started using it because of the hack factor..
its rebellion against the higher power (windows)..
yee..

lisati
November 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I started using Ubuntu out of curiosity and because it seemed the easiest *nix distro to get going after minimal research....and I joined the forums "just in case". The acceptance and the occasionally being able to help others were bonuses.

red_Marvin
November 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I started using linux because of an interest in computers and programming, and having a totally open system that would do whatever I wanted it to do, granted i knew how to tell it, were compelling. In short, I started using linux out of curiosity.

The first time it was debian, but neither I or my dad did know how to get X running so the usability as a desktop compared to a windows machine was still low, but then I found Ubuntu around hoary hedgehog, and never really looked back.

The social groups I've joined to change my image can be counted on the left hand's toes.

Corfy
November 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I first tried Linux for many reasons:

- I was tired of Windows problems and viruses
- I had extra space on my new harddrive
- I didn't like what I was hearing about the then upcoming "Longhorn"
- I was curious
- I was already using many open source apps in Windows

None of those have anything to do with joining a community or wanting to be part of something.

However, about a year and a half after installing Linux for the first time, I attended my first Linux conference (Ohio LinuxFest 2006). There was something about being in a room with 1,000+ Linux users that I found very empowering. That event was the first time I had ever met anyone face-to-face who had used Linux (that I knew of, anyway), and since then I have been a much more stronger advocate for Linux.

jimi_hendrix
November 27th, 2008, 01:11 AM
reason i picked linux:

im a semi-nerd who wanted something different

reason i picked ubuntu:

only distro that i found that used gnome and i didnt want kde at first (i love KDE4 now) because i didnt want a windows look

reason i joined the forum:

lotsa questons...now i love the community

handy
November 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM

No, it can't happen the foundations of the windows & the POSIX type are completely different. This old run down on security in windows, Mac & Linux based systems still holds true:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

jespdj
November 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM
The fact that Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distribution and that it has such a large and active community was certainly one of the reasons why I chose Ubuntu instead of another distro.

handy
November 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
The fact that Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distribution and that it has such a large and active community was certainly one of the reasons why I chose Ubuntu instead of another distro.

Fedora would argue with you about the most used. :-)

loell
November 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Fedora would argue with you about the most used. :-)

with the proper metrics to show. :D

xpod
November 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I`ve used Ubuntu/Linux for most of the time i`ve used a computer now but prior to stumbling across it i`d never even heard of the thing.
I think i`d seen the term "linux" on one or two (Win based)forums i`d signed up to,once i`d figured out what a forum was of course.

Bibek
November 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I Joined because i was using windows and was tired of Viruses. I used Thumbdrives to transfer data between college and home and everytime i came home from college, my thumbdrive was full of viruses. Since i was familiar with linux (I used redhat 9 for a year back in 2003), I switched to ubuntu.

mrgnash
November 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM
No. I transitioned to Ubuntu/Linux because I was fed up with Windows more than anything else. The community was more of an unexpected, but welcome, surprise.

Daggo
November 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
no actually, I had no idea of the awesome community that backs up linux, especially Ubuntu, until after I installed it and was working on my video drivers. (everyone has to do it, its almost like an initiatory requirement)
I went with linux not because I diddnt like windows nor because I think Bill Gates is the bad guy in TRON controlling some dark army, but because of customizability. I wanted my computer to be MINE. With Linux I felt I had more control over my system and I could make it look really cool. So there, thats my reason.

fatality_uk
November 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Psychology!! The art of stating the obvious.

MysticEdge
November 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I joined the Ubuntu forums because I was tired of answering the obvious questions when I searched for threads to solve my issues getting the kinks worked out when I installed Linux.

I chose Ubuntu Distro because it's excellent in regards to hardware support and I don't have the technowledge to install more versatile distros and it suits my needs for a computer.

Aaaaaand, last and certainly not least, I chose to join the Linux faction in general because I was tired of using illegal software and pirated copies of windows, thereby having that little voice of reason in my head constantly saying.

"You know, the cost to benefit ratio of using all this illegal software just isn't sufficient enough for me to consider this logical."

So no, I didn't join linux to be accepted, I joined so the big bad wolf wouldn't blow my proverbial pirated "house made of straw" down.

graabein
November 28th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I was getting an internet connexion for my old machine and needed something safe and functional. GNU/Linux looked cool from screenshots and the fundamental philosophy of free open source software appealed to me.

Chame_Wizard
November 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Joined the forum after using Kubuntu for a while.50/50.:guitar:

uberdonkey5
November 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM

lol. I think tribal behaviour is very natural,but many people resist it. There is also the opposite human behviour, of trying to look different so you can stand out and be sexually more attractive.

When I started linux, I was introduced by my friends to it. Now, I know no-one with whom I have direct contact with who uses linux (on a PC). I use linux due to less fear from viruses, no need to defrag, free software and actually prefer the menu system. Definately for functional reasons only, though community support is required for me to make my linux system functional. I suppose ubuntu is supposed to be a 'community' with a loose system of 'rules', respect for other users etc, that, though I think is admirable, is very different from a physical grouping (like football supporters).

I really just exploit the linux community...when bored or need help, (though I usually try and help others at the same time if I can, for fame e.g. large numbers of thanks :D)

ashmew2
November 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
The Circle is the Perfect Shape..What You Recieve , You must Give Back..

The last Acceleracers Movie..

LinuxGuy1234
November 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Why I picked Linux:

Getting away from MS
To look l337
Too many choices of distros to help me pick my mood

Why I chose these forums:

I wanted to sprout out my Linux stuff.

I now love the community now and getting more used to them every second.

ashmew2
November 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I really just exploit the linux community...when bored or need help, (though I usually try and help others at the same time if I can, for fame e.g. large numbers of thanks :D)

At least you are being honest ;D :guitar:

Inxi
November 28th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I wanted to get a Linux for the past 6 years (I never liked Windows), but I was afraid of all the problems that come up with Linux. Then SUsE came around, but I didn't get it back then because it was a very heavy file and then I sort of forgot about Linux. Then I found out about Ubuntu from my robotics club. So I read up on it and it didn't seem to scary. So I installed it.

darth_indy
November 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I joined the Linux community for three reasons: Curiosity, boredom, and I was sick of Windows. I STAYED for the community and acceptance. I was amazed... people would actually HELP me, without having to stay on hold for an hour, or without getting snippy. And I could chat about random computer stuff without getting odd looks. Even in my Linux class I get odd looks when I'm asking my teacher to help me tweak a bash script (which is well beyond the basic course I'm in).

Of course, maybe the fact that I'm a FEMALE geek has something to do with the odd looks ;)

Mason Whitaker
November 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
What made me pick Linux/Ubuntu as my favorite
- Generally has a helpful and knowledgeable community
- The ability to do what I want with my computer
- A great way to learn and experiment with computers
- Cheaper than Mac
- Better than Windows

Why I still use Mac
- Photoshop
- Umm...XD;;

jayleemor
November 29th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I joined because Apple was only a step above Windows. (Both tiresome and disappointing). Being a Linux Newb, this seemed the best place to start.

Newuser1111
November 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Did you join Ubuntu/Linux for the acceptance?No, I did for no reason and just wanted to try Linux and I chose Ubuntu because someone on another site said it was good.

asker
November 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM
First Post on the Ubuntu forums. I love Ubuntu, and have known nothing else but Fedora. How warm is the community?

(first sentance is a flame test)

MikeTheC
November 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I didn't start using Linux for group acceptance or external validation, any more than I started using computers in the 1980s because it was the hip and trendy thing to do. (That's a bit of sarcasm. Owning a computer back then was an all-too-effective form of birth control, if you know what I mean.)

However, I like to be a part of the Linux community in general and Ubuntu at this time because it harkens back to the rugged individualistic enthusiast origins of computerdom, something we've sadly drifted away from with the commercialization and commoditization of the tech industry.

Getting into the Linux community definitely has a feel of "coming home" for me, so yeah, there's definitely a psychological component to it.

Skorzen
November 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
If acceptance was the main reason for changing, no one will ever change to GNU/Linux but rather stay with Windows.

regonzal
December 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
I can see how the original poster might have meant to address the sometimes present need for individuals to join groups or communities in order to feel accepted. While the aforementioned reason is not why I chose to start using Linux and posting on these forums, I can definitely see how acceptance could be a by-product of belonging to this on-line community.

I began using Ubuntu after my older brother who is a programmer would mention it to me on occasion. Seeing as he was always touting the benefits of the operating system he was currently using, Slackware I believe, I decided to get my feet wet with an older version of Knoppix. The concept of a live-cd was very interesting to me and I spent the better part of my Christmas break from college in '06 researching as much as I possibly could. Then came Ubuntu, who a manager at my old job recommended, as well as my brother. Ever since then, I have not been able to go back to Windows and feel that everything else pales in comparison.

Using Linux has brought to me a subjective joy for computing that I feel very few people could understand, or appreciate. I am not a programmer, and far from a CS student at my local university; but, I love Linux and everything that has made it what it is today. I feel that if I, who do not fit the mold of an elite,stereotypical Linux-user, can learn learn to use computers for his benefit and that of his friends (many of whom have become interested in trying Linux out), then Linux and Open-Source can truly be the future of computing.

Feeling that Linux, and its seemingly-infinite communities, is something truly special in this day and age is a part of what keeps me here. I believe that people like Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds truly have given the world something that allows a sense of community to exist without borders (or windows ;p); which is helping one another, though sometimes we may disagree, to create something which many other people can benefit from positively.

:)

SunnyRabbiera
December 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
No because if I wanted acceptance I would be using windows still, or have a Mac.
dArE tO Be DiFfErEnT BABY!