PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager Problems

DucksAndDolphins
November 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and ever since day one I've had a number of updates that needed to be initiated, however, every time I attempted to install them, I received an error message reading:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Naturally, I ran dpkg --configure -a through my Terminal. It then told me that a "superuser privilege" is required for me to be able to run said command.

Help?

ajgreeny
November 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a will do it. Ubuntu doesn't use a root account, but uses
sudo command instead. See Root sudo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo)

Swagman
November 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and ever since day one I've had a number of updates that needed to be initiated, however, every time I attempted to install them, I received an error message reading:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Naturally, I ran dpkg --configure -a through my Terminal. It then told me that a "superuser privilege" is required for me to be able to run said command.

Help?

Do what it's telling you literally.

In other words... Open a terminal

Applications > Accessories >Terminal

and type

sudo dpkg --configure -a

press enter
It will ask you for your password ..Yes the one you login with

Press Enter

Thats it.