PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X and Ubuntu

Mbengi Bongi
November 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I dual boot Mac OS X 10.4 with Ubuntu 8.04 on my iMac - is there any difference between the Terminals on the 2 OSes?

i.e. If I wrote a shellscript in Ubuntu could I run it on the Mac Terminal.app?

I use BaSH in both cases.

gnusci
November 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I think it should work without problems, as far is only bash script code. I do have the two system, I still didnt see any problem... Anyway Terminal is running also bash.

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
i think there are difference but they are minute...but enough for there to be 2 guide if you google bash commands...

Mbengi Bongi
November 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I have noticed some problems particularly with ANSI escape codes, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same.

snova
November 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
A terminal is a terminal, for one thing. If there are differences, they have nothing to do with the terminal program itself. It's just a display.

Any differences are consequences of the environment, and any modifications Apple makes to Bash. Obviously a Mac OS X environment is different from an Ubuntu one, but they are both Unix systems at their heart, and that will help.

(Note that I have never used a Mac.)

Kilon
November 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
I dual boot Mac OS X 10.4 with Ubuntu 8.04 on my iMac - is there any difference between the Terminals on the 2 OSes?

i.e. If I wrote a shellscript in Ubuntu could I run it on the Mac Terminal.app?

I use BaSH in both cases.

There are some commands missing from MacOsX , if i remember correctly , "make" command is not there you have to install it yourself.

look here

http://www.ss64.com/osx/

escapee
November 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
There are some commands missing from MacOsX , if i remember correctly , "make" command is not there you have to install it yourself.

look here

http://www.ss64.com/osx/

make gets installed with the Developer Tools, not recommended to install from source.

Virtually anything you'll use is identical, if something is different it won't be much of a tweak.

Paul Miller
November 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
OS X 10.5 has bash as its default shell; versions before that use tcsh as the default shell.

wmcbrine
November 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
OS X 10.5 has bash as its default shell; versions before that use tcsh as the default shell.I'm not sure when the change was, but it wasn't in 10.5. 10.4 also uses bash.

Edit: It looks like 10.3 was the first to default to bash. (Of course, if you upgraded from 10.2 or earlier, your old account's default wouldn't be changed.)

Mbengi Bongi
November 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Yep, It's definitely Bash I'm using.

mssever
November 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Some commands have different options. MacOS is derived from BSD, which doesn't use GNU tools. GNU tools--which are used in Linux--have a number of extensions beyond the POSIX standard.

Mbengi Bongi
December 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
I had a feeling that was the case.