PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 48kHz ALSA output?

Epicurious
November 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I just installed Ubuntu and eventually got my external sound card working - kinda. My USB sound card expects sound in 48kHz but ALSA is sending it 44.1kHz sound. So my question is: how do I configure ALSA to convert all outgoing sound to a 48000Hz rate?

psyke83
November 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I just installed Ubuntu and eventually got my external sound card working - kinda. My USB sound card expects sound in 48kHz but ALSA is sending it 44.1kHz sound. So my question is: how do I configure ALSA to convert all outgoing sound to a 48000Hz rate?

If you're using Hardy or Intrepid, you shouldn't be using the ALSA dmix device - PulseAudio is used by default.

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Once you have PulseAudio configured, edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf. You can manually specify the rate of the PulseAudio server (it defaults to 44100Hz). I don't believe this is a necessary step, however, as different bitrates will always get resampled automatically.

BlueSkyNIS
November 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Wow psyke83, you resolved one more issue regarding audio for me. Finally, I can put my speaker tweeters up to the test. :)

Epicurious
November 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
thanks psyke83! Editing /etc/pulse/daemon.conf worked like a charm :D