PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new hard drive installation hanging at 15%

slick1a
November 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
hi again guys and gals,

during a fresh installation from a hardy boot disk , i have hit a few issues.

I started with a few old hdd's i had lying around , they just kept failing , the wife then said give up and put XP on there instead, much against my better judgement i tried this and duly got the 'missing NTLDR' error message.

I remember the last time i had that problem and couldnt be assed to put the effort into solving a windows issue at that time.

Thus i purchased a brand new hard drive (never before used still in shiny moisture protected bag)...

then i got the following.

1. verifying DMI pool data

this annoyed me because having installed a fresh 160gig ide drive i thought installing ubuntu would be a breeze - not so...even tho i have installed many versions on many machines

point 1 was resolved by checking my boot sequence and restoring to factory defaults and making sure my jumper settings were set to 'master; as opposed to 'cable'

2. during a rather unexpected slow process of install , having inputted all data to create a fresh install , using the entire disk space of 160gig , having gotten to the 'installing system' the machine just hangs at 15%

Should i A) let it take its course and see what happens (note:im not the most patient of people)

or

Should i B) start over.

it may be worth mentioning at this point this is now the 2nd time the hanging at 15% has occurred.

if any further info is needed please let me know - thanks in advance of any matching issues - all ideas welcome.:confused:

GMT 14:22 - its now been hanging at 15% for around 20 mins , more than long enough i think to carry put point B) ?????????

oilchangeguy
November 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
what are the specs of your computer. and if you've installed windows correctly, you should not be getting the missing ntldr message.
also see this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

slick1a
November 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
many thanks for your speedy reply oilchangeguy..

however i scrapped the windows installation , the new hard drive has only had 2 attempts of a hardy install.

GMT 14:40 and still hanging at 15% 'detecting file systems'

the spec of the machine is up to scratch , this i know as i have had fiesty and gutsy running on it with previous hard drives.

oilchangeguy
November 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
many thanks for your speedy reply oilchangeguy..

however i scrapped the windows installation , the new hard drive has only had 2 attempts of a hardy install.

GMT 14:40 and still hanging at 15% 'detecting file systems'

the spec of the machine is up to scratch , this i know as i have had fiesty and gutsy running on it with previous hard drives.

don't know if this will help. but try the alternate cd. it's text based.

slick1a
November 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
hmm theres a thought , i also have the gutsy official cd and a custom gutsy and with an old fiesty cd , perhaps i should give them a whurl , and then simply upgrade online - which incidently usually goes belly up for me anyways..

thanks for yr comments.

slick1a
November 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
problem now resolved , one more brand new working box.