PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading 8.04 to 8.10 x64

psycho5
November 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
I tried upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10 using the updated manager, everything went well until installation was "almost" over, at that time my computer completely froze. I had no choice but to hard reboot.

When it rebooted, grub showed the new kernel, but it wouldn't boot up completely.

Luckily I had a backup of my home folder, so I did a fresh install with the 8.10 live cd x64. The installation went fine, but during first boot there was that "4gb Aperture Ignoring" error and it wouldn't boot up.

My RAM is only 2gb and I'm using AMD Athlon X2 3600+

I resorted back to 8.04 finally after trying everything else.

Sorry to sound redundant, I'm sure alot of people have already reported this error after I googled it, but my question is, does that problem still exist?

Aflack
November 24th, 2008, 01:43 AM
i used to have that same problem but then i realized it was caused by enabling my graphic cards.. so if i enable my g cards then i cant boot so i cant have compiz or anything heavy on graphics which really sucks. i have 2 geforce cards... enable either one of them and i cant boot.

psycho5
November 24th, 2008, 07:00 AM
What do you mean by enabling your graphics card? do you mean disabling it in bios or the desktop effects?

I also have a nvidia card, 8600GTS.