PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu 8.10

bobrabbit
November 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I've been meaning to try out ubuntu for a while so when the latest copy of PCW magazine arrived on my mat with the cover disk including a ISO image of 8.10 I thought now's a good time ...

Well, I haven't had a good time! I partitioned my hard drive with Windows on one partition no problem but try as I might, I just can't get a working version of ubuntu to install on the other partition. Tried booting from disk and the wubi program. Just nothing happening. I have to say the installation process is not user friendly like Windows. For now I think I'll give up on ubuntu and stick with Windows. If and when ubuntu has a better installation process that works can someone please let me know. I'd like to give it a go.

Mr_JMM
November 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
If there was a problem with the Ubuntu installation then how have I and 10's of thousands of other people managed to run Ubuntu for years?

As it says a 100 times over on these forums, just because you are having problems doesn't mean there is a problem with Ubuntu.

If you're going to be serious about this, please post exactly what steps you have taken, error messages etc.

You said you have installed Wubi and you're trying to install Ubuntu from there. There is a whole forum dedicated to Wubi with lots of help and advice.

We'll help you out to find what's gone wrong but more info required.

Feel free to ask.

psycho5
November 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Installing Ubuntu couldn't be easier with 8.10 or any other version for that matter compared to XP, in my opinion. I agree with the guy who posted above me...

If you are serious about it, do tell what problems you faced and what did you do so we can help you out.

syntaxerrorsix
November 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Agreed, I've run a few versions of Red Hat in the past and found that though I had everything up and running it took quite a bit of time and I still could not do without window$ apps.

I recently upgraded my box and and decided to give Linux a try again, this time with Ubuntu and have had great success. I'm waiting for IT to let me use wine and Ipass VPN and I may be fully weened from my other OS.

The ISO CDROM allowed me to dual boot without so much as a hiccup and as a previous Mozilla user I easily imported p.w/bookmarks/emails/address easily.

I'm certainly no expert and I use the terminal screen with moderate success when necessary but I really think anyone that may be interested in using Linux probably has enough ability to partition and install 8.10.

It's just like anything else that is new. It will take some time to get used to it and start seeing the benefits.

Please post your sequence of events as I'm sure it will be useful to others once it has been solved.