PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] A Stupid Question about the windows key

nakama85
November 23rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to utilize the windows key by having something like "windows+t" opens terminal? Of course I would rename it an ubuntu key.lol

I only ask because for some reason I just don't like the idea of having a pointless key..

thanks for any ideas.

tuskenraider
November 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
i think some people and programs call it the super key.... im pretty sure that you can set up that shortcut... tho.. i dont konw how to do it... i have a termial screenlet....not that iuse it all that often.. tho i do love to watch sudo apt-get update.. the scrolling amuses me.. :lolflag:

tusken - oooo look something shiney!!! lol - raider

kcy29581
November 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
In Linux the "Windows Logo" key is called the "Super" key. You can use it as any other for shortcuts, by going to: System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Here, you can change any shortcuts, and use the "Super" Key as you see fit.

Also, if you are using 3D desktop effects (Compiz), then this key is used a lot here, such as Super + Tab. Obviously, this depends on what parts of Compiz you have enabled.

Hope this helps! :)

Ryadt
November 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
In Preferences > Keyboard shotcut click on 'run terminal' and select the key combination that you like.
You can add more shortcuts in compiz if you like.
The windows key is known as the super key.

nakama85
November 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
In Preferences > Keyboard shotcut click on 'run terminal' and select the key combination that you like.
You can add more shortcuts in compiz if you like.
The windows key is known as the super key.

yes i checked that out however it does not allow me to do a "super+?" combo. it only allows me to set the superkey alone as the shortcut.
is there a way to do this?

Ryadt
November 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Have you got ccsm installed?

nakama85
November 23rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Have you got ccsm installed?

sorry what is ccsm?

Ryadt
November 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
CompizConfg Settings Manager. You can install it and then go in the general options select the commands tab. Then click on commands and in line 0 add 'gnome-terminal'. Then in key-bindings select run command 0 and use the key combo you want.

nakama85
November 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
CompizConfg Settings Manager. You can install it and then go in the general options select the commands tab. Then click on commands and in line 0 add 'gnome-terminal'. Then in key-bindings select run command 0 and use the key combo you want.

please excuse my stupidity...

I installed it but where do i find general options and commands tab?

Ryadt
November 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Under category you will see general options. Commands comes under general options.