PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help For Vista DL/Install Please

darksideforge
November 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Used Google Chrome to download 8.10. Now it's sitting in my Downloads folder (Vista) and I can't do anything with it. I put in a blank CD-R into my DVD-RW drive, tried not to format the CD but had to anyway, and now it says that out of 700Mb, there is only 678 available...and the ubuntu image says 698 is required. Tried a normal burn sequence, but was informed (no, really?) that I didn't have enough room. So, went to Help and downloaded the IR burner. Installed no problem. Began to do an IR Image Burn as instructed in Help. It starts to burn "1 of 1", lasts about 30 seconds, and then says "Finished" and the disk ejects. So...nogo on that.

What am I doing wrong?

cariboo
November 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
An .iso file is an image of what is on the cd. Use Image burn to burn the .iso to a cd don't try to extract it.

Jim

MooseBoys
November 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Don't format the CD to a data cd. As stated above, you'll need to burn the ISO directly. A nice program for Windows is Active@ ISO burner: http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

darksideforge
November 24th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Just a quick note to both of you for helping me out. Cariboo, there is no way to find or extract the .iso and that is part of the problem. Mooseboys, Active@ worked great...except that Vista doesn't give me a choice about formatting a CD-R when I close the drive bay. I burned through the limited number of blank CD's I had on-hand last night and will pick up some more today to try again. Thank you both for the help thus far.

darksideforge
November 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Well, you've all done wonders for me. As I type this, I'm logged in via v8.10!!!!

As I said I would do, I went to the store and got more CD-R's. When Vista asked me if I wanted to "Open To View Files" or "Burn Music CD" etc when I first put the disk in, I simply "x'd" out. (Or should that be exxed out?) I then initiated ActiveISO@ burner, directed it to the downloads folder where the ubuntu download was, and clicked "Burn". I initially set speed at Auto-Detect and the program selected 12x 1800KB/s. Took about 4 minutes to burn the disk...maybe slightly less. Backed out of GoogleChrome, shut the lappy down, and waited a minute or so. Just before I lost power, I opened the CD drive door (actually a DVD-RW). Once the computer was shut down completely, I inserted the burned disk (and I forgot to say that after the burn, Vista auto-ejected the CD) and closed the tray. Powered back up and....HERE I AM!!!!

Thanks again!