PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ConsoleSetup failed with exit code 2

giesen2
November 23rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
I downloaded ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso, burned to a CD, and tried to install.

After selecting the time zone and keyboard layout, I get a dialog:

Dialog Title Bar: "ConsoleSetup crashed"
Dialog Contents: "ConsoleSetup failed with exit code 2. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken."

If I retry, I get the same error. If I continue I get other fatal errors shortly later. I tried burning another copy of the install CD from another computer and got the same result.

I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 and Kubuntu 8.10 on the same target system without issue.

Any ideas what is wrong or what I can try?

giesen2
November 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
My fault. I tried burning another copy, but I had two CD drives, and was still installing from the first copy. Once I removed the first disc, and ran the second copy, it worked.

FYI, the bad burn was made by Kubuntu 8.10, while the burn I made from a Windows laptop worked.

Amarnath.valluri
December 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Hi! I am pretty new to ubuntu.

When i try to install Ubuntu 7.10, I got the same error. Installer was not able to show list keyboard layouts.

My disk is already having XP in one partition and i am trying to install Ubuntu.

My fault. I tried burning another copy, but I had two CD drives, and was still installing from the first copy. Once I removed the first disc, and ran the second copy, it worked.

FYI, the bad burn was made by Kubuntu 8.10, while the burn I made from a Windows laptop worked.

But in my case i have only one CDDrive through which i am trying to install OS. So can you please help to solve this problem ;(