PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] time bar in media player like WMP?

christopher.newell
November 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Is there a media player (video) that has a time bar like WMP? Specifically, I would like to click in the middle of the bar and go to the middle of my video, rather than dragging the slider along the bar. I haven't seen mention of this, so I might be the only person who cares. Hopefully someone out there has seen something I can use.

beno1990
November 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
sudo apt-get install vlc

This media player doesn't force you to drag it along the bar in my experience, hope it's what you're looking for. ;)

christopher.newell
November 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks beno, that's better, at least. When I click on the time bar, the video jumps forward or backward. I'd still like a player that lets me click on the time bar in the place I want to go. So, for instance, if I want to show someone the expression on my daughter's face as she spits out her peas, I could jump right to it, then click right back to it a few more times until they're bored to tears... In Windows (wife's laptop), my favourite player is Media Player Classic. It's great for my videos and ripped movies. I like the simplicity and functionality of a few of the linux players as much or better, but I can't find this feature.

christopher.newell
December 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I haven't had any luck finding a media player to fit the bill in the repositories. Has anyone found a good media player outside the repositories that does what I'm looking for?

Nepherte
December 20th, 2008, 04:02 PM
What about Gnome-Mplayer (a gui for mplayer)? I believe it's in the repositories.

christopher.newell
December 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM
It is in the repositories, and I even had it installed! I thought I'd tried them all. Thanks!