PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sound gone post upgrade

malagigi
November 23rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
I've used Ubuntu 8.04 for some time, and I found the experience great. After reading some good things I upgraded to 8.10, but a few problems have cropped up that I simply can't resolve. The biggest one is that I can't get any sound at all in Ubuntu. I've tried a variety of fixes, but nothing seems to work. The best clue I can track down for what is wrong comes when I type alsamixer in the terminal:

~$ alsamixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

Any thoughts what I can do about this? It worked in Heron, I was a bit surprised when a couple of things stopped working in Ibex.

beno1990
November 23rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
type "pulseaudio" in the terminal and report any error messages it gives you on trying to load.

I think this might be the same error I had earlier, but was easily fixable when I diagnosed it. :)

chazn85
November 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
i got the exact same thing when i upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, i instllaed all restricted sound modules (i forget the exact ones) and changed my sound to pulse audio may help you out

malagigi
November 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Pulseaudio was not installed, as I recall, I read a forum post that said to remove it. After apt-get'ing pulseaudio, I typed pulse audio and got:

~$ pulseaudio
W: ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to find original dlopen loader.
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0

chazn85
November 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
have you changed all the selections in prefs>sounds to pulse? cant say i have any experience with ibex,

malagigi
November 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
They were on autodetect, but I have now changed them over to PulseAudio Sound Server. No change in status.

beno1990
November 23rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Try

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa

And search for the following line:

load-module module-alsa-sink

If you find it, comment it out by adding a # to the start of the line, and then try starting pulseaudio again with this command:

sudo pulseaudio

Let me know if this works. :)

malagigi
November 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
The line already appeared to be commented out. I added another # for good measure. I then got:

~$ sudo pulseaudio
W: ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to find original dlopen loader.
W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).