PDA

View Full Version : Why is Firefox such a memory hog?

aysiu
December 5th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I'm not asking for it not to be. Actually, it's fine, as I have 512 MB of RAM, and it hasn't really slowed down my productivity. I'm just curious as to why it's like that.

What is it about Firefox--the way it's structured, the processes it uses, that makes it more of a memory hog than other browsers (even something as fully featured as Opera... I'm not talking about Dillo or Lynx)?

Again. This is not a problem-solving thread. I just want to know why. Thanks in advance for any info.

bytter
December 5th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Try reading this:

http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/news-2005-11.html#moz-images

Kelpie
December 5th, 2005, 02:43 AM
i wouldnt know about why it hogs memory, but i do know its based off of Internet Explorer while Mozilla is based off of Netscape

Malphas
December 5th, 2005, 02:46 AM
i wouldnt know about why it hogs memory, but i do know its based off of Internet Explorer while Mozilla is based off of Netscape
What!?

bytter
December 5th, 2005, 02:48 AM

What you've said doesn't make any sense to me :P

aysiu
December 5th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Try reading this:

http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/news-2005-11.html#moz-images This appears to be the relevant portion:
For Firefox, keeping the compressed, as-downloaded images in the client could reduce memory consumption a lot. So it should keep compressed images instead of uncompressing them? That's why?

aysiu
December 5th, 2005, 02:50 AM
i wouldnt know about why it hogs memory, but i do know its based off of Internet Explorer while Mozilla is based off of Netscape I thought Firefox was based off Mozilla, which was based off Netscape. How did Internet Explorer figure in...?

Kelpie
December 5th, 2005, 02:56 AM
its the interface, how its set up, some things from here and there are the same like in IE, for instance when you type a name or something in the box go type in another form box with the same thing and below will pop up the list of it being saved... its rather annoying though, other stuff are like that, firefox has some things IE doesnt but it still has things IE does

dont panic lol its true, i sapose they made it that way to attract people away from IE who liked some features in IE, im not saying that firefox is anything close to IE but it is more differant then mozilla because when i had mozilla it didnt have the things firefox has that IE has

atoponce
December 5th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Gecko was designed in 1997 by Netscape following the purchase of DigitalStyle. During the browser wars of the '90s, Netscape had an inferior HTML rendering engine at best. It wasn't very compliant to W3 standards, it featured very littled DHTML and had other problems. IE was winning by a landslide.

When the Mozilla project was founded in 1998, a new rendering engine was coded completely in open source, originally called Raptor, then called NGLayout, finally, the name Gecko stuck. Netscape 6.0 was the first release using the Gecko rendering engine in 2000.

Firefox, a redesign of the Mozilla web project, uses the Gecko engine, while Internet Explorer uses the Talisman rendering engine. Talisman is a proprietary project by Microsoft and has never been related to Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla or Gecko.

poofyhairguy
December 5th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Firefox is the child of Netscape. It comes from when AOL helped set up the Mozilla Foundation to make sure they could always have a new backbone for their AOL browser if MS ever got out of hand.

When opensourced, the Netscape code was crap. But soon Mozilla got better and better. But it was then decided that Mozilla should be divided. People want either a broswer, or an email client, or an editor, not all three at one the thinking went.

So Firefox, Thuderbird, and latter Nvu were made. Firefox became then a brach off Mozilla, designed to be a good stand alone browser. Actually it was not called Firefox at first, but that is a different story (I have used it from the start).

So the 1.0 series was a success! Firefox became a stand alone browser and Mozilla WAS more popular divided. Now the goal for Firefox 1.5 and beyond to make make it faster, easier to use, etc.

Basically your answer is that it soon will be. I use 1.5 now and its overall speed it WAY better. WAY better. Amazing better. Like buying a faster computer better. And what I read about 2.0, its going to be amazing (all Cairo).

Firefox 1.x was to be a stable stand-alone browser. It was forked off an old Mozilla. The new Firefox has parts from the last Mozilla ever released, plus a lot of new greatness.

And the extensions are way better too:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=98608

xequence
December 5th, 2005, 03:10 AM

Firefox is NOT based on IE. I dont know why ive seen a couple people post it, but its NOT TRUE. IE is closed source, while Firefox is open source.

poofyhairguy
December 5th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Firefox is NOT based on IE. I dont know why ive seen a couple people post it, but its NOT TRUE. IE is closed source, while Firefox is open source.

Honestly though, it deserves to be called IE 7.0, not that crap that MS is making. Firefox looks far more like (and works far more like) older IE.

Koobi
December 5th, 2005, 06:50 AM
interesting thread, i've always wondered about this.

i've begun using Galeon. as much as i love firefox, its just too much of a memory hog on my slow system.