PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or PS3? which should i get?

phantomjoker
November 23rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hi guys - I'm looking for a games console this winter, and i want a serious gaming console [not because i'm a serious gamer - infact i have never owned a console] but because i dislike the wii.

Like i have said - i am not a regular gamer - i have never played a xbox 360, or even an xbox, and i have only tried the ps3 once.

So i'm looking for the console that can provide me with -

* a great online experiance (many friends play online, and it sounds great!)

* A great selection of games (i am very much a fan of games such as GTA, and FAR CRY - games which you choose what to do... I also like human shooter games such as CALL OF DUTY and SPLINTER CELL [not a real fan of sci-fi like gear of war...]

* Something that will last (like i say - i don't play much, and will not buy a new console for a long time, if at all, so want something that will last)

I think i have mention everything.... Oh, and not much more than £200.

Any idea which console - and if xbox, what size?

Cheers

Tom--d
November 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Playstation 3 + Farcry 2 = Thats me done for a year ;)

Playstation 3 are really really reliable.

Xbox 360 has a fail rate of 30%
Playstation 3 has a fail rate of 0.3%

grazed
November 23rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Playstation 3 + Farcry 2 = Thats me done for a year ;)

Playstation 3 are really really reliable.

Xbox 360 has a fail rate of 30%
Playstation 3 has a fail rate of 0.3%

where do you find this "fail rate"?

maybe this was true back when it was released from the original batch, but that's far from true now with the new boards. let alone the fact that PS3's had similar issues.don't feed people this nonsense. =P

as far as the online experience, XBOX-live is almost always on top in reviews as compared to the PS3. XBOX also has a larger game catalog, and the system itself is much cheaper.

on the other hand, the PS3 has slightly more graphical capability (in some areas). While the 360 can generally produce better lighting effects.

Also keep in mind you also get a "free" blu-ray player if you go with a PS3.

Scruffynerf
November 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
As an xbox & xbox360 owner - get a PS3.

Xbox360 = power brick the size of a small island, that glows red after 15 minutes of play + a DVD-Rom that sounds like the space shuttle winding up for launch.

phantomjoker
November 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
i am tempet by the 360, as it has had good reviews and looks like fun... i just don't know whether many games i would enjoy are produced for it.

phantomjoker
November 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
is your xbox old? and what type? arcade?

Joeb454
November 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM

Cheers

You've just answered your own question :)

PS3's (Play.com): £299 (http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/3-/164637/2-/Promo.html)

Xbox 360's (Play.com): £130 - £249 (http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/3-/2524/2-/Promo.html)

Personally, I have an Xbox 360 (and I have played the PS3 a lot with friends), I prefer the Xbox, now I know you have to pay for Xbox Live, but it's a much better online experience than the PS3 in my opinion :)

Also - one final note, I think the best value Xbox 360 is this one (http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/6279139/Xbox-360-Premium-Console-with-60GB-HDD/Product.html) :)

grazed
November 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
i am tempet by the 360, as it has had good reviews and looks like fun... i just don't know whether many games i would enjoy are produced for it.

the size of the 360's game library is gigantic compared to the ps3. the grand theft auto game you mentioned was released for both systems.

phantomjoker
November 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
yes - the price is a large factor. I think the xbox is suited more for my tastes.

TekNullOG
November 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
When both consoles were launched, I did a 20 page research paper on the XBOX 360. I was sure it was going to win the race between the two consoles knowing that Nintendo was in a league of its own. Back then, it was my console of choice.

BUT when Toshiba resigned from the HD race, suddenly the PS3 made so much more sense!

It you plan on playing on an HD TV, remember you get a free Blue Ray reader built in.

The price difference is quite minor when you compare the specs. Remember, you can easily install Ubuntu on a PS3. It makes a pretty bad *** computer! (bluetooth, 80GB drive, blue ray reader, wifi, optical out for sound, hdmi plug and a CELL processor)

Anyways, it's a pretty big investment and their is no right choice. It just depends on what you want to do with it. It's a great idea to ask people their opinions.

tealio
November 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
PS3 makes more sense... The fact that Ubuntu (and several other linux flavors) will run on it is a pretty nice feature...

The fact that it's not a microsoft product is nice...

The fact that it plays Blu-Rays rather than containing an obsolete HD-DVD player...

But really, truly... It's up to you, and the games you want to play... Check out the selection of games, and see which games are system-exclusive... a lot of those games determine who buys what system...

Good luck...

grazed
November 23rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
BUT when Toshiba resigned from the HD race, suddenly the PS3 made so much more sense!

The fact that it plays Blu-Rays rather than containing an obsolete HD-DVD player...
the 360 never, and still do not ship with an hd-dvd drive. games come on standard dvd dics.

The price difference is quite minor when you compare the specs. Remember, you can easily install Ubuntu on a PS3. It makes a pretty bad *** computer! (bluetooth, 80GB drive, blue ray reader, wifi, optical out for sound, hdmi plug and a CELL processor)

PS3 makes more sense... The fact that Ubuntu (and several other linux flavors) will run on it is a pretty nice feature...

PS3s make awful desktops. they have only 256 megs of ram, can't support accelerated graphics (no 3d), take on average 5+ minutes just to boot, and run horribly slow unless programs are written to take advantage of the cores. (most will only run on a single core)

Thirtysixway
November 23rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
You can install Ubuntu on a ps3... :)!

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
advice from someone with both:

if you like online play with a good community go xbox...

if you like singleplayer games go ps3

no one on ps3 online talks at all and it makes the games boring...but MGS4 was the best game ever...

xbox owns online play and is what i play most

3rdalbum
November 23rd, 2008, 03:44 AM
Yes, you can install Ubuntu on a PS3, but the original poster already has an Ubuntu computer. And Linux on a PS3 features no Adobe Flash, no Skype, no 3D, no Blu-ray support, no special Cell support, no Wine, no Virtualbox, no Google Earth, no support for Debs from get-deb.net, and a minimal amount of RAM.

I would have said to buy a Wii because they are a great system. But if you want Blu-ray playback support, the PS3 is the way to go. If you want to keep to your price range or you want to play Xbox 360-exclusive games, then the choice is clear.

Capt. Mac
November 23rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
where do you find this "fail rate"?

maybe this was true back when it was released from the original batch, but that's far from true now with the new boards. let alone the fact that PS3's had similar issues.don't feed people this nonsense. =P

as far as the online experience, XBOX-live is almost always on top in reviews as compared to the PS3. XBOX also has a larger game catalog, and the system itself is much cheaper.

I own an Xbox 360 and I would personally suggest the PS3. Xbox live is a load of ****, some people like it but I personally hate it. On most games it forces you to play on settings that you would never choose yourself unless you make a private game. It's has been my most disappointing online gaming experience of all time.

My Xbox is about 8 months old and it failed while playing Fallout 3. The reason I got the Xbox is because my friends have it, and I wanted to play online with them. More than half of them have had problems with their system (one of them has to have it suspended midair with a big fan behind it for it for it to work at all).

The Xbox seems cheaper at first, but before you know it they are charging you for everything they can. Plus, who wants to support Microsoft?

Regarding the game library: The only game I have that isn't on both the 360 and the PS3 is Halo 3, which I never really liked anyway. The majority of games are multi-console, so I wouldn't be too worried about game selection on either one.

padams10001
November 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
One thing no-one has mentioned is the controllers. The 360 controllers s*** on the PS3 controllers.

grazed
November 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
One thing no-one has mentioned is the controllers. The 360 controllers s*** on the PS3 controllers.

i imagine that would get messy in your living room.

TekNullOG
November 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ok, you're right, Ubuntu on a PS3 isn't so great. I tried it last night on my friend's and it is pretty slow. It is always using Swap space because of the low ram. Indeed, there is no flash and a handful of other things that really suck.

Maybe there are tweaks and stuff to make it run faster but in the mean time, it seems more of a novelty.

But I still stick to my choice of PS3 due to the Blue Ray reader swaying my decision that way.

In regards to:

the 360 never, and still do not ship with an hd-dvd drive. games come on standard dvd discs.
I think you misunderstood me. I never said that XBox 360 had an HD DVD reader, I just said that now that we know that the Blue Ray is useful now that it has one the war, so it makes the PS3 more enticing.

daverich
November 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
xbox rules.

just ask yourself if anyone else had made it other than microsoft, would you even be asking the question?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

KiwiNZ
November 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I have both, The Xbox is better at streaming media the PS3 pauses constantly and is very fussy with the naming regime for video files, get it wrong even though the extension is correct it moans it cant play them.

The new 360 dashboard is very good.

PS3 can be themed
Can have additional OS
Very good Bluray
And looks the bees knees

I dont like the noise from the 360

My 360 elite looks good in black
huge range of titles for it
the controllers are more comfortable

But it comes down to personal pref

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
geek deathmatch coming up...i can feel it...

I own an Xbox 360 and I would personally suggest the PS3. Xbox live is a load of ****, some people like it but I personally hate it. On most games it forces you to play on settings that you would never choose yourself unless you make a private game. It's has been my most disappointing online gaming experience of all time.
...no you pick a playlist of your prefered game type and if you dont want those settings you vote to veto on most games...and besides random matchmaking more fair then hosting a game and deciding to take turns headshotting each other for your rank

My Xbox is about 8 months old and it failed while playing Fallout 3. The reason I got the Xbox is because my friends have it, and I wanted to play online with them. More than half of them have had problems with their system (one of them has to have it suspended midair with a big fan behind it for it for it to work at all).
after 3 years ive had one problem and that was with an AV cord not working on a very old TV...

The Xbox seems cheaper at first, but before you know it they are charging you for everything they can. Plus, who wants to support Microsoft?
id prefer to pay for xbox live then take free Playstation Network...on xbox you have a community...and teamates that actually (i know its amazing) talk! on PSN its like they never heard of a microphone...and also xbox is the one thing microsoft did right...i have no problem with supporting them to make the xbox even better

Regarding the game library: The only game I have that isn't on both the 360 and the PS3 is Halo 3, which I never really liked anyway. The majority of games are multi-console, so I wouldn't be too worried about game selection on either one.

your a member of a small minority that doesnt like halo...but putting that aside each console has its specialties...

xbox has halo and gears of war and whatever else bungie (halo's makers) decide to crank out (they willingly made a deal with microsoft) as well as a few other games that i cant think of at the moment

ps3 has metal gear solid and a group of RPGs and resistence...but the online is still terrible compared to xbox if you like multiplayer

</rant>

billgoldberg
November 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi guys - I'm looking for a games console this winter, and i want a serious gaming console [not because i'm a serious gamer - infact i have never owned a console] but because i dislike the wii.

Like i have said - i am not a regular gamer - i have never played a xbox 360, or even an xbox, and i have only tried the ps3 once.

* A great selection of games (i am very much a fan of games such as GTA, and FAR CRY - games which you choose what to do... I also like human shooter games such as CALL OF DUTY and SPLINTER CELL [not a real fan of sci-fi like gear of war...]

* Something that will last (like i say - i don't play much, and will not buy a new console for a long time, if at all, so want something that will last)

Cheers

Playstation 3.

The 360's are bad machines, they tend to break pretty easily.

Also the ps3 has blu ray, is an upnp client, has free internet play (you have to pay to play online on the xbox, ...).

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
free internet play (you have to pay to play online on the xbox, ...).

the internet is only good if you dont like to communicate with others...

billgoldberg
November 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
the internet is only good if you dont like to communicate with others...

What are you talking about?

Do you imply you can't speak to your friends whilst gaming on the ps3 or something, because I just did that whilst playing Call of Duty 5.

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
no i imply that whenever i join a MGS4 online or Resistance online game i will find no one with a mic...and if i do by some magic find someone they rarely speak

Swagman
November 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
If your into RROD's then get the Xbox

For everyone else.. Ps3

Our Ps3 connect via hdmi to Samsung 42" 1080p telly

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/Outcast_Aussie/Ps3Telly.jpg

Also.. We download films onto pendrive and then stick pendrive into usb port of ps3 and watch movies !!

yay

happysmileman
November 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Both work, XBox360 is a bit better, but costs a yearly/monthly fee to play online (€60 a year I think)
PS3 is free to play online.

XBox360 has more exclusive games but many aren't that great (and the PS3 has MGS4 :P), and the gap seems to be closing, GTA IV and Farcry both available for either one.

I know 3 people who have had to send their XBox 360 back due to Red Ring of Death, none who have had problems with PS3 (other than some trouble connecting to internet, but I think the problem was with their router or something.)

hyperdude111
November 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Get the PS3.

The online mode for ps3 is free but on xbox you pay a subscription.
Ps3 has a free blu-ray reader.
However the big selling point is that you can EASILY install UBUNTU on the ps3 and dual boot with the game os.
I have tried the xbox and the ps3 and new immediately the ps3 was the console fot me.

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I know 3 people who have had to send their XBox 360 back due to Red Ring of Death, none who have had problems with PS3 (other than some trouble connecting to internet, but I think the problem was with their router or something.)

odd...i know xbox is notorious for Red ring of death (make sure its 1 light or 3...2 or 4 are not problems) but i have only had 1 friend with a broken xbox and 2 with broken ps3s...

o and pro tip...never tilt a console while a dist is in it and it is on...it will scratch the dist at the point you are at on it...

Twitch6000
November 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM

* a great online experience (many friends play online, and it sounds great!)

Cheers

First let me say I own both the Xbox360 and PS3 So i know pretty much anything you need about them :).

Now as to what you are looking for in online play(good gaming no problems AT ALL) I give this to the XBOX360 this is probably one thing they did right.

For games yes Xbox360 does have many games and many games only for it.

However even with that number I have stood there looking for about 20 minutes for one or two good games that I like.(ofcourse im a rts and fighting game fan)

PS3 I can go in find what I want in around 10 minutes.

Now both have great online stores so that is a plus to both.

Now if you want an entertainment system aswell I suggest no matter what PS3. It can do so much its amazing.

Personally I think the big downfalls of the PS3 are the less game selection(which for me is a slightly better thing)

The online play is sometimes laggy

The controllers for me are small :(.(they are getting new controllers soon so... hey wait and see there)

For the XBOX360 the bad sides are -

Online play is great,but you gotta pay for it :(.

For any true extras like the PS3 has by default you need to buy them.(eg. hd dvd player,wireless adapter,etc...)

It has a big dying rate.

The thing is LOUD when turned on.

So all in all I say XBOX360 great for hardcore gamers.

PS3 great for casual gamers and a entertainment system

jeyaganesh
November 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
I heard PS3 provide only less graphic memory for other OS.

I have PS3 for almost a year without any problem. Most of the big games come on both the console.

Top rating games are also available in PS3 - like COD 4, Assassin's Creed, MGS4, Civilization Revolution,GTA 4 and Little Big Planet.

You never see an another game like MGS4. Its cinematic cut scenes and choice of weapons are amazing.

Online life in PS3 is free.

You can also watch Blu ray movies.

handy
November 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
When both consoles were launched, I did a 20 page research paper on the XBOX 360. I was sure it was going to win the race between the two consoles knowing that Nintendo was in a league of its own. Back then, it was my console of choice.

It you plan on playing on an HD TV, remember you get a free Blue Ray reader built in.

Anyways, it's a pretty big investment and their is no right choice. It just depends on what you want to do with it. It's a great idea to ask people their opinions.

I agree, you get a LOT more for your money with the PS3. If you want to run Linux on the XBOX you have to go to a lot of trouble, especially with the new models.

I know which one I would buy.

tkawa6
November 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I own both and with exception to a renting blu-ray movies and occasional game reantal, the PS3 doesn't get nearly as much play as my Xbox360. Tales of Vesperia, Gears of War 2, and Fable 2 has made my PS3 pretty lonely once MGS4's got old. So far the only upcoming game that I am somewhat eager to get for the PS3 is the upcoming Final Fantasy 13 series.

Then again, I have a launch 360 that is still going, so I guess it's due to RROD anyday now.

KiwiNZ
November 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM
My wife just purchased a Wii , now there is a fun console. may not have the multimedia grunt of the Xbox and PS3 but it is fun

jimi_hendrix
November 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM
You never see an another game like MGS4. Its cinematic cut scenes

you mean its 20 minute cutscense (its kinda funny acutally) but the story is amazing so it makes up for it

jimi_hendrix
November 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
My wife just purchased a Wii , now there is a fun console.

if you know what games to buy...there sooooo much garbage that developers shovel on there...but games like Zelda are great on it

Rokurosv
November 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Well I don't really see a point for the PS3 after I found out Tekken 6 is coming out for 360 too. I personally like 360 better than the PS3, but they're both good systems.

If you're looking for a broader game list, surprisingly is the PS3, cause it has reverse compatibility with older PS games, and there are a lot of PS2 games, a lot. The Xbox well, I rather forget the old Xbox times besides Halo and a few games. But I find 360's games better than the PS3's, and the only play is better, IMO.

Neostar
November 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
The Wii is NOT garbage, you just have to be selective when buying games.

PhoenixMaster00
November 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM
As an owner of both if you really want serious gaming get an Xbox 360. The catalogue is bigger they just gott the new xbox experience which looks great and online play is the best (although it is a yearly subscription). If you want something with good games free online a web browser the ability to install linux and better dvd (plus blu ray) playback then get a ps3 - its great at all trades but master of non.

IMO
Xbox = serious gaming
Ps3 = media center

jimi_hendrix
November 24th, 2008, 02:04 AM
The Wii is NOT garbage, you just have to be selective when buying games.
i never said it was

Kosimo
November 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM
PS3 + Ubuntu of course :D

Joeb454
November 24th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I have to add my +1 to the other people referring to the NXE (New Xbox Experience). It's actually far better than I thought it would be :)

I'm thinking of getting another Xbox so I can give my current one to my brother (which means I can have my room free again!).

BOBSONATOR
November 24th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Ps3

handy
November 24th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I have to add my +1 to the other people referring to the NXE (New Xbox Experience). It's actually far better than I thought it would be :)

I'm thinking of getting another Xbox so I can give my current one to my brother (which means I can have my room free again!).

:lolflag:

doorknob60
November 24th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I have a PS3 and love it. Good graphics, Bluray, free online (which I find nearly as good as Live from playing TF2 and Burnout Paradise. And yes, people talk.), much better specs (Sony says they won't make a new console until games start fully utilizing its specs, which they aren't even coming close to right now, while the 360 will most likely become outdated sooner and become obsolete because of its lower specs, meaning PS3 is a good choice if you don't plan on buying another console anytime soon).

And yeah you can install Linux, it doesn't work that fast but good for when you're bored I guess :-P And I really like the PS3 controller, it's comfortable and feels nicer than Xbox IMO. And of course then you can add me as a friend on it too :-D

EDIT: And as usual, MS tries to rip people off with Xboxes. "OMG 360 starting at $199!!!11!111!!" Well, that has no HD (add I'm guessing $100), no Wifi (Another $100) and no online play (Add monthly fee) and no Bluray (lol go buy a bluray player for $300), so overall the PS3 ($400) is a way better value. Too lazy to convert currency, but you get the point.

handy
November 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM
EDIT: And as usual, MS tries to rip people off with Xboxes. "OMG 360 starting at $199!!!11!111!!" Well, that has no HD (add I'm guessing $100), no Wifi (Another $100) and no online play (Add monthly fee) and no Bluray (lol go buy a bluray player for $300), so overall the PS3 ($400) is a way better value. Too lazy to convert currency, but you get the point.

From what I have read, the quality of the Bluray currently has little opposition.

Part of the reason that the PS3's potential is still not being used is that the CELL processor(s) system is really quite difficult to code for, I'm sure that as time goes by there will be more coder's who have nutted out how to use this new technology.

banjobacon
November 24th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm considering the purchase of one of these consoles in the future. This thread hasn't really helped sway me in either direction.

People say the PS3 is better for multimedia:
Can it stream music and video from my Ubuntu desktop?

Can I plug in my iPod and browse music easily? From what I can tell, one can only browse the iPod's folders, not by artist and album like on most media players.

I like the fact that I can stream Netflix movies on XBox 360. Anyone know if Netflix will be adding this functionality to PS3, also?

handy
November 24th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'm considering the purchase of one of these consoles in the future. This thread hasn't really helped sway me in either direction.

Can I plug in my iPod and browse music easily? From what I can tell, one can only browse the iPod's folders, not by artist and album like on most media players.

I like the fact that I can stream Netflix movies on XBox 360. Anyone know if Netflix will be adding this functionality to PS3, also?

You can do whatever the Linux distro' & Linux app's that you install on the PS3 will allow you to do.

banjobacon
November 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
You can do whatever the Linux distro' & Linux app's that you install on the PS3 will allow you to do.

Then I guess I might as well not bother and just use my existing computers.

solitaire
November 24th, 2008, 05:37 AM
thinking of getting a PS3 soon (before the price rise!)
one question:

Do you have to give just 10Gb to a Linux install?
If you swap out the 80Gb drive for a 250Gb+ one, can you give Linux as much room as you want?

Just thinking of future proofing my install as i hope Linux will (very soon!) make good use of all the PS3 capabilities (i.e. better use of the Cell processors and GPU for PVR or Video / Audio work...).

*note*

Sony are releasing a PS3 with a 160Gb drive soon. that looks good for "NetFlix" style applications (need room for HD video) :) Also room for the PVR function with the 'Play TV' module.

handy
November 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Then I guess I might as well not bother and just use my existing computers.

So why were you looking at getting a PS3?

I thought you would have been interested in the games & possibly in using the high quality blueray player & the associated capabilities that make a great dedicated game/multimedia/web access package, that you can run a distro' on it as well just gives it more capabilities, you can add it to a network & do what you will with the 80Gb HDD, which by the way is very easily user upgradeable.

banjobacon
November 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM
thinking of getting a PS3 soon (before the price rise!)

When? Why? How much?

almigi
November 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Cheers

Like yourself I'm not really a gamer. A good friend of mine though is, and he owns both an Xbox 360 AND PS3. From what I've seen, both console have their merits.

I do think the online component of the Xbox has a nicer deisgn to it then the PS3. The real question you should ask yourself is what kind of games do you like? I know you're not a hardcore gamer, but still, you probably have a preference in type of game that you play.

Once you figure out what types of games you will most likely be purchasing, purchase the console that has better support for those games (i.e. more titles available, the titles that are available are high quality games, etc)...

solitaire
November 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
When? Why? How much?
Sony announced last week that due to the financial crisis and the weakening Yen it will be rising prices over the next 3 months over their entire range of products.

No specific prices or products were named. But the smart money are saying that the Gaming and Computer side will rise by up to 10% in the new year. :( :(

theApokalypsis
November 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM
A jest, instead use a computer for your gaming.

for example I use my pc dual boot with vista. "games for windows" support the 360 controller and wireless usb connector I got out of the box. So for like Devil May Cry 4, Fallout 3, COD: World at War etc I can play as if its a (better in my case I like to think) 360 system. As well you get the greatness and precision of mouse oriented games, especially RTS :)

Although it does set me back in regards to releases. Gears of War 2 I will wait just a bit longer...

all in all gaming is fun. i just wanted post :lolflag:

anyways, its so hard to pick... Each console has something to offer. :s

I would say PS3 specially for sick games like Heavenly Sword and such. And Blu-ray. and Internet Browsing.

of course 360 for the live action, and the more... i dunno, like hardcore gamer feel.

regars.

Spr0k3t
November 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I purchased a ps3. I was hooked in by a few select games I can't find anywhere else (Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter series). There were so many strikes against the xbox series that my only choices were the wii or the ps3. Since the wii took the same foothold as all the previous proprietary media formats of Nintendo, I opted for the ps3. The only feature I liked about the original xbox is the fact it was a 2nd generation dreamcast.

Start with looking at what you need first. Do you really need a BD player? How is your TV and will that need to be upgraded to take full advantage of the 360/ps3 hardware? Do you want a simple upgrade path and backwards compatibility? Is this going to be your only console or will it be an addendum to an existing setup? Do you need online gaming? Are you looking to mod/hack the system after you have it?

Think about what fits you rather than basing the decision others tell you to go.

jpittack
November 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Since you want to have the console for a long time, you don't want to be focused on online play. The number of people online drops as time goes on.

Online play is online play. You have your console hooked up to a server, someone is the host and you play the game. Don't believe me? Play the same title on the two systems. You do the same thing. Quality is based on the servers vs. the servers load. I have heard, but can't really confirm, the 360 connects to the host, then the server, then everyone else in the match. The PS3 is supposedly connecting to the server and then the host. I wouldn't let the online play influence you if you want to have the system for a long time.

Live subscriptions can, since they cost more on top of the system. If you plan on having the console for awhile, the live fees will cost you more then the system itself. The life of the 360 for most people will be about 8 years, for you it might be 10 or 12. Multiply that by $40-50 a month and you have enough to buy a PS3.

360's don't have the RROD much anymore, supposedly because of the cpu being 65nm now. But Microsoft wants to find a cheaper cooling solution, and if implemented will probably result in the RROD coming back. Two friends using 65nm based consoles already have one. What from, I don't know.

360 are just cheap plastic for the casing, a single fan (which will stay on if you charge the controllers when you turn the system off) and a DVD-DL drive. Both the fan and the drive are loud.

The PS3 is kinda of cheap plastic, two quieter fans, a Blu-ray drive, and a hard drive that gets used like a PC. Games will install to the hard drive (some are optional) and read from that instead of a louder blu-ray drive.

The 360 makes you buy their mics, PS3 uses bluetooth headsets, or their mic, which I like for using on my cell phone. From my experience, the 360 mics fail more then the 360 themselves. Something like 4 friends have had problems with both wired and wireless.

Feel the controllers. I like the PS3 controller because I owned a ps2 and ps. Best part about the ps3 is that it used up to 7 controllers vs. 360's 4. Bad part is the only games that I know that will support more then two people online is Halo 3 and warhawk, both exclusives. "Multiplayer" online is just you. Story mode can be co-op on a screen. 7 player games are all sports games. Controllers are expensive so have your friends bring theirs.

With your price range, you would almost need to choose a 360 without online play. I would suggest savings some money for a PS3 for the added goodies, or atleast the option to use them. If you get a PS3, I shall join you as a friend. platinumfire20

Circus-Killer
November 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM
without going into comparisons and all that, just speaking as an owner of the 360, so much of my lifespan has been wasted by hours of intense fun. ;)

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
If you want a media centre, and not really for gaming, get a ps3.

If you want to play better games on a better online system, get a 360.

Everything else is irrelevant as they are pretty much equal, especially after the latest 360 update.

Cresho
November 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM
PC is for serious gamer! consoles are for kids...i been a gamer for consoles since 1975 and the amount of games out for consoles is totally rediculous and very low quality. ps3 and xbox 360 are for people who cannot afford a real rigg.

I would recommend a ps3 since you can use it as a blueray player for hdtv. xbox 360 has better titles.

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Since you want to have the console for a long time, you don't want to be focused on online play. The number of people online drops as time goes on.

Online play is online play. You have your console hooked up to a server, someone is the host and you play the game. Don't believe me? Play the same title on the two systems. You do the same thing. Quality is based on the servers vs. the servers load. I have heard, but can't really confirm, the 360 connects to the host, then the server, then everyone else in the match. The PS3 is supposedly connecting to the server and then the host. I wouldn't let the online play influence you if you want to have the system for a long time.

Live subscriptions can, since they cost more on top of the system. If you plan on having the console for awhile, the live fees will cost you more then the system itself. The life of the 360 for most people will be about 8 years, for you it might be 10 or 12. Multiply that by $40-50 a month and you have enough to buy a PS3.

360's don't have the RROD much anymore, supposedly because of the cpu being 65nm now. But Microsoft wants to find a cheaper cooling solution, and if implemented will probably result in the RROD coming back. Two friends using 65nm based consoles already have one. What from, I don't know.

360 are just cheap plastic for the casing, a single fan (which will stay on if you charge the controllers when you turn the system off) and a DVD-DL drive. Both the fan and the drive are loud.

The PS3 is kinda of cheap plastic, two quieter fans, a Blu-ray drive, and a hard drive that gets used like a PC. Games will install to the hard drive (some are optional) and read from that instead of a louder blu-ray drive.

The 360 makes you buy their mics, PS3 uses bluetooth headsets, or their mic, which I like for using on my cell phone. From my experience, the 360 mics fail more then the 360 themselves. Something like 4 friends have had problems with both wired and wireless.

Feel the controllers. I like the PS3 controller because I owned a ps2 and ps. Best part about the ps3 is that it used up to 7 controllers vs. 360's 4. Bad part is the only games that I know that will support more then two people online is Halo 3 and warhawk, both exclusives. "Multiplayer" online is just you. Story mode can be co-op on a screen. 7 player games are all sports games. Controllers are expensive so have your friends bring theirs.

With your price range, you would almost need to choose a 360 without online play. I would suggest savings some money for a PS3 for the added goodies, or atleast the option to use them. If you get a PS3, I shall join you as a friend. platinumfire20

What an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to say. :lolflag:

tbroderick
November 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM

If you aren't a "serious gamer", why spend the money on a xbox360 or ps3? Seems like a waste. If you have never owned a console, I'd suggest buying a slim ps2 or a used gamecube. Both are much cheaper and have a ton of games. Even a nintendo ds, which I think is 100x better then the current generation of consoles, would be a great option.

billgoldberg
November 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
If you want a media centre, and not really for gaming, get a ps3.

If you want to play better games on a better online system, get a 360.

Everything else is irrelevant as they are pretty much equal, especially after the latest 360 update.

Better games and better online system is total BS.

Almost all games come out on both platforms, and both system have good exclusives.

Online play on the playstation 3 is good.

I play COD and Soul Caliber 4 online without problems and with an usb headset.

--

A small detail. The xbox 360 power supply and cords are f'ing huge.

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Better games and better online system is total BS.

Almost all games come out on both platforms, and both system have good exclusives.

Online play on the playstation 3 is good.

I play COD and Soul Caliber 4 online without problems and with an usb headset.

--

A small detail. The xbox 360 power supply and cords are f'ing huge.

And?

And, by the way, as someone who has used both systems a lot, xbox live > psn. Every day of the week, every day of the year.

You get what you pay for, as they say.

The old noise issue of the 360 has been resolved with the new patch.

billgoldberg
November 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM

1. yes

(use a upnp server called "mediatomb")

2. don't know, I can use my external hdd just fine.

3. I think this will be added, yes, if not already.

Note that the european, japanese and us psn stores are all different.

--

Something I want to add that bugs me about the xbox 360.

The fact that the controller use non rechargeable batteries.

I can't remember how many times I was playing at a friends house and we had to quit playing because the batteries died.

The ps3 comes with an usb cable, just plug it in the ps3 and you can continue playing while it charges (only takes 15 minutes).

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
1. yes

(use a upnp server called "mediatomb")

2. don't know, I can use my external hdd just fine.

3. I think this will be added, yes, if not already.

Note that the european, japanese and us psn stores are all different.

--

Something I want to add that bugs me about the xbox 360.

The fact that the controller use non rechargeable batteries.

I can't remember how many times I was playing at a friends house and we had to quit playing because the batteries died.

The ps3 comes with an usb cable, just plug it in the ps3 and you can continue playing while it charges (only takes 15 minutes).

Buy a charge pack for goodness sake. Your points suck, come up with a decent one. You are merely spewing out the usual tripe that people post in these threads, none of which is credible.

notwen
November 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Your answer is the Xbox 360. the 360 simply has more of a game selection and XBL(Xbox Live) users outnumber PSN(Playstation Network) by far. Keep in mind you will have a monthly fee to access XBL where as PSN is free.

The 360 is also very retricted as far as what you can put on the HDD, you can rip CDs to mp3 format onto the HDD, but cannot copy video files over to it. The PS3 allows you to do pretty much whatever you want, even install Ubuntu if you want. =] WHen I watch videos on my 360, generally stream mp3s/avis from a upnp server I setup on my local network or play them directly off a USB drive. I'm pretty sure the PS3 can do this as well.

I've had my 360 for around a year and have no complaints. It was a pretty easy decision considering the amount of titles and not to mention the majority of my friends are on XBL. As far as which model you should get, it depends. MS is currently phasing out their older 20GB Pro models w/ a newer 60GB Pro model. You can find lots of deals on either. Good luck w/ whatever you end up going w/. =]

billgoldberg
November 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Buy a charge pack for goodness sake. Your points suck, come up with a decent one. You are merely spewing out the usual tripe that people post in these threads, none of which is credible.

What is up with the attitude?

These points are all valid points.

Sure you can buy a charge pack, the point is that you don't need to buy extra stuff on the ps3 to be able to play more than x hours straight.

padams10001
November 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM
i imagine that would get messy in your living room.

Nah, i just put newspapers on the floor.

geoken
November 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM
For the people saying PS3 is better for Multimedia, have you guys actually used it in this scenario?

I sold my HTPC (running Boxee) a few weeks ago so I could replace it with a console. After using a 360 and PS3 extensively I concluded the PS3 sucks for multimedia and bought a 360 (60g) for $300.

The 360 actually has some semblance of folder navigation, and it supports cover art (simply put a jpeg with the same name as the movie file and the 360 will use this as cover art). The PS3 just shows you a flat list that's more difficult to navigate. Both consoles seem to support the same amount of codecs, apart from mkv's (which they both ignored) they both played everything I threw at them.

I was originally leaning towards a PS3 because I thought it would allow me to continue using boxee but I quickly learned (as otehrs have stated) that even if you can get over the unbearable performance most of the apps you want wont work under the PPC architecture. The internal HD is also a slight advantage, but being 2.5 I would have opted for an external 3.5 + enclosure anyway so it's a non-issue.

My point is that people usually give the PS3 the title of Multimedia champ because it has BluRay, but the race is a lot closer then people make it seem. If digital content is more important to you than optical discs the 360 has a large advantage. It will handle your ripped/downloaded movies way better than the PS3 and it also has Netflix.

billgoldberg
November 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
My point is that people usually give the PS3 the title of Multimedia champ because it has BluRay, but the race is a lot closer then people make it seem. If digital content is more important to you than optical discs the 360 has a large advantage. It will handle your ripped/downloaded movies way better than the PS3 and it also has Netflix.

Blu-ray is why it's the multimedia champ. That's pretty easy.

I don't know why you would claim the xbox supports ripped or downloaded movies better?

geoken
November 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM

So it excels at playing one type of content (optical media). It still trails behind at two other main sources of content (streamed and hard drive based). Calling it a multimedia champ would be like calling a vanilla BD player a multimedia champ when comparing it to a full blown HTPC which can't play BD.

I say it supports downloaded content better because it's video navigation is leagues ahead of the PS3's flat list + auto generated thumbnails.

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM

I don't know why you would claim the xbox supports ripped or downloaded movies better?

Neither are necessarily illegal. Doh!

Capt. Mac
November 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Buy a charge pack for goodness sake.

Just another example of how Microsoft charges you more for things that come standard with the PS3. Add another $15 to any controllers you decide to purchase...

PhoenixMaster00
November 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Lets be fair though if the charger in the ps3 conroller becomes buggered theres not a lot a normal person can do except send it to sony or buy a new one if your rechargable 360 battery pack gets damaged swap it for normal batteries and send that back to MS.

Just get a sega megadrive and re live the good old times ;) 30 quid off ebay if ya get a good deal.

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Just another example of how Microsoft charges you more for things that come standard with the PS3. Add another $15 to any controllers you decide to purchase...

See the post directly above this one.

Capt. Mac
November 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Lets be fair though if the charger in the ps3 conroller becomes buggered theres not a lot a normal person can do except send it to sony or buy a new one if your rechargable 360 battery pack gets damaged swap it for normal batteries and send that back to MS.

Sure, that's true, but it's no excuse for them not including something which should have came with the controller in the first place. The optimal solution would be to have a detachable charge pack that comes included with the controller.

Also, has anyone here had a ps3 controller charger fail on them, or the 360 charge pack fail? No one I know has.

fluxlizard
November 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
We love our ps3. The games are great, plus there is a ton of excellent ps2 games out there that run great on it that can be picked up for next to nothing, plus we use the dvd/blueray all the time, plus we stream music/pics/video from our ubuntu box with mediatomb and it works great.

PhoenixMaster00
November 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i got a rechargable pack with my xbox or maybe that was because mine was a halo 3 limited edition and MS were feeling particularly generous. As someone who has both i find the 360 controller has better battery life while the ps3 has better connectivity rates.

But then again each person is different and each person has different problems

Thelasko
November 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I know one person that owns a PS3, he doesn't talk about it much. I think he just uses it as a Blueray player.

I know several that own Xbox 360s, they talk about it all of the time. About a year ago a friend of mine was constantly talking about Dead Rising. Although the game doesn't seem to have much staying power, it might make a good rental. I also thought Crackdown was pretty cool, it's like GTA except you're a cybernetically enhanced cop.

LowSky
November 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have a PS3, I love, A friend of mine has an xbox360, he loves it. Both of us have had issue, He had the Red Ring of Death, and I had the load but not read Blu-Ray drive on my PS3.
I cant say which is truely better, but if you grew up on Playstation stick to the family, if you love xbox then got that route, or buy based on availble games. Or buy a Wii and feel bad that you have no one else to play with because every game is multiplayer. LOL

Joeb454
November 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I also thought Crackdown was pretty cool, it's like GTA except you're a cybernetically enhanced cop.

I forgot about that game, I might have to break it out, it's awesome.

I got mega frustrated when I couldn't find the last agility orb, that noise of one hovering close by still haunts me to this day!! (I found it in the end though)

favadi
November 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
PS3. All Sony products are great.

jpittack
November 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
What an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to say. :lolflag:

Dropping online play is why I won't buy the new James Bond game. I can't play 4 people on the same screen, unless I use a Wii. Thus I would be stuck with single player missions. I still play Nightfire, Goldeneye, and Rising Sun for the split-screen. Games are too expensive to only use for a few years.

My intrest in Online play drops significantly after a while. No story means all it is would be a game type and a set of weapons. That doesn't change from game to game, meaning once you find the game types and weapons that you like (with maps and so forth), you don't really need to play many more online games.

The best gaming feature is still having people over to your house to play games. My room mates want me to buy a 360 plus tv just so we can play 2 persons online. We already spent over $1,500 on electronics. Why would I want to spend more? Its just one aspect of the game, or about 1/8th of the games content on the disc.

For the OP, if you have read to this point. Killzone 2 is supposed to be very good, just from reviews of the beta. Some want it to be game of the year. Its PS3 exclusive, so just another reason to go out of your price range. I forget the name of the game, buts its another PS3 exclusive that will support 256 people online in the same lobby. I don't remember anything else about it.

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Dropping online play is why I won't buy the new James Bond game. I can't play 4 people on the same screen, unless I use a Wii. Thus I would be stuck with single player missions. I still play Nightfire, Goldeneye, and Rising Sun for the split-screen. Games are too expensive to only use for a few years.

My intrest in Online play drops significantly after a while. No story means all it is would be a game type and a set of weapons. That doesn't change from game to game, meaning once you find the game types and weapons that you like (with maps and so forth), you don't really need to play many more online games.

The best gaming feature is still having people over to your house to play games. My room mates want me to buy a 360 plus tv just so we can play 2 persons online. We already spent over $1,500 on electronics. Why would I want to spend more? Its just one aspect of the game, or about 1/8th of the games content on the disc.

For the OP, if you have read to this point. Killzone 2 is supposed to be very good, just from reviews of the beta. Some want it to be game of the year. Its PS3 exclusive, so just another reason to go out of your price range. I forget the name of the game, buts its another PS3 exclusive that will support 256 people online in the same lobby. I don't remember anything else about it.

Online is the biggest part of gaming these days.

Anyway, your theory is like me saying "no point buying a blu-ray or blu ray movies because eventually they'll all be defunct anyway".

In fact, that applies to most technology.

LowSky
November 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
PS3. All Sony products are great.

Betamax was a real Winner and Sony DRM, which crippled Computers if you ran their CD's.

KuroYoma
November 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM
As an owner of both systems and having used both for online play(as you specified in first post) please get a Xbox360 if you are looking for online play. I know of a couple of games on the 360 that the PS3 is releasing some time next year and in all honesty it seems as if sony is avoiding online games at the moment. Get an Xbox360 for online play.

PS3: I can honestly say that while online is good the ps3 rocks in almost every other area. Expansive game coverage (that i do wish was better) easily upgradable HD other OS installation options. I use this as my PC away from laptop all the time and also use it as an FTP server for my family and roommates.

super.rad
November 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM
My votes for PS3, used to have one but had to sell it to afford to go on tour at the beginning of the year but getting a new one for xmas. Brilliant games, online is good but theres room for lots of improvement, blu-ray player which is great and you can install ubuntu on it if you want!

hessiess
November 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Classic consoles or emulators, seriously, there just isn't anything good any more...

YoungQuiz
November 25th, 2008, 12:51 AM
xbox>ps3

xbox has better titles
XBL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ps3 online

i play both. xbox is far better.

mips
November 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Classic consoles or emulators, seriously, there just isn't anything good any more...

My favourite as well ;)

billgoldberg
November 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Neither are necessarily illegal. Doh!

Where did I say it was illegal?

Kzap333
November 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Cheers
I am like you and have neaver owned a games consol (I'm a PC gamer). But I'm gonna say get a PS3. I have played on both a XBOX360 and PS3 and PS3 just seems better (to me), the graphics look amazing (spealy in HD) and controller is easy to use (I hate games controllers in geniral).
Not sure about which titles are avilible for the PS3 though (I know COD4 is).
Oh and XBOX is made by Micro$oft and theres the red rings of death (like the blue screenin windows).

wizard10000
November 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Played both, own PS3.

Truth be told the xbox will have a little better selection of games for probably another year but given the built-in Blu-Ray and built-in wireless networking the PS3 did it for me.

The PS3 just detected the mythtv backend on the network - I don't have myth installed any more but was able to play movies and audio from the myth server through the PS3 no problem.

Gameplay on the PS3 has been great - with the exception of Fallout 3, which blows chunks on a some Playstations - lotsa hard lockups and unplayable games because of the lockups. I managed to get my copy playable (so far) by disabling all autosaves and Bethesda is supposedly working on a patch but other than that everything I've run has been great.

G@B0
December 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Aren't we suppose to hate M$. It's just that there are a lot of people that hate M$, but sudddenly, they have an XBOX 360. Isn't that ironic.

Well I'm going to be honest. I have a PS3 and it's the first Playstation system that I have. There a lot people complaining about the PSN network but do they really use it? My connection used to lag on Halo 3 so I thought that the PSN network would be horrible but it's not true. The first time I played Resistance 2 I was totally impressed. I haven't had issues with lag.

So, I still don't understand why people are still complaining about the PSN Network. Just beacuase it's free? I don't know.

I know that there are some games that are not the best option to play online on the PS3, like SF2HD, but common, did they even beta test on it? They did on 360.

Graphics = lazy developers. PS3 is not on it's full capacity.

So... what to choose?
If you can't afford a PS3, buy a 360 but think it... 360 + xbox live($60) = $360 vs ps3 = $400 and you get Blu-Ray, more space, online free, you can install other OS, etc.

All my friends have 360 and I haven't meet somebody that haven't had issues with a 360. They even buy it again :confused:.

I'm just waiting for the games listed in 2009. Uncharted 2, Killzone, GOW3, GT5. All these games showing the full capacity of the PS3. On 360... Halo wars, Recon?...

Thinking about the future... Final Fantasy XIII VS it's PS3 Only. That's my priority.

rsambuca
December 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM
They are both good units, and you will enjoy either one. Personally, I would get the one that more of your friends have, so you can all get together online. It is much more fun playing online with your buddies.

Thelasko
December 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Aren't we suppose to hate M$.

We are? I thought we were all supposed to think for ourselves. I must have missed that memo.

mips
December 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
They are both good units, and you will enjoy either one. Personally, I would get the one that more of your friends have, so you can all get together online. It is much more fun playing online with your buddies.

Agreed, multiplayer is fun.

amitabhishek
December 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Am too fancying PS3 for a while. I heard it has a supercomputer on the chip. Personally I have always felt PS3 is generation ahead of XBox. Can anyone please comment on the muscle of PS3.

thestig_992
December 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
i can back up that muscle....my ps3 has never had an issue, and to OP, with the ps3 you pay more, but you get more.

PS3 has blue ray, built in wifi, free online, etc
Not as many games, but plenty of FPS to keep you happy. Check out Resistance 2 for halo style fps, or maybe warhawk for vehicle based.

Just remember that if you want to play online, xbox live costs about $100 AU a year, not sure what that is for you, but if you dont play that often then its a big amount of money to spend.

graabein
December 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm a casual gamer and I have a Wii with Tiger Woods (great fun with friends!).

When I get a new place to live I'm buying a flat screen HD-TV and I need a media center since I don't have a DVD-player, and I don't plan on hooking the computer to the TV and stereo like I have now.

So for me the PS3 is a better choice. It's quiet and it has Blu-ray and it's not Microsoft. Just waiting for the 45 nm version to hit the market.

Johnsie
December 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Game consoles are like macs/ipods. Mass produced restricted hardware full of DRM and other forms of lock-in. Even Windows gives you more freedom.

Last week I bought a pc base unit with Windows XP off ebay for £65 and hooked it up to the tv. Works great for gaming with a wireless keyboard/mouse and joypads. I can use it to watch streaming tv and movies using TVU, Joost and PPStream. I also have Songbird and Winamp on there.

I like Linux for working on but I prefer Windows when it comes to multimedia. TVU and PPStream are good.

sportscrazed2
December 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
i got both and only play the ps3 about once a week on average and my 360 gets played about 3 hours a day if that tells you anything

geoken
December 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Graphics = lazy developers. PS3 is not on it's full capacity.

I don't understand this argument. Ever since the PS1, the difficulty in fully utilizing the Playstation's hardware has been well known. The thing I don't understand is why Playstation users always blame 'lazy developers'? If the linux kernal was so poorly coded that large portions of an app had to be written in low level machine code and passed directly through the kernal untouched would we blame 'lazy developers' for choosing platforms that let them use higher level languages?

Is the ability to create a platform which empowers developers not an achievement in and of itself? Why are we supposed to covet the PS3's unusable stockpile of hardware while putting down the 360 which has more modest hardware but took a very developer-centric approach to the design of that hardware and the software platform that wraps it?

Neostar
December 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think deep down most people don't want Microsoft to dominate the industry the way they do on the PC.

Jackelope
December 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Bottom line is: Xbox has 10x more games and is cheaper. Both consoles are built like crap IMO, so its really all about the games. I like the selection on the Xbox, and since you're new to the gaming thing, go with the system with the most games from which to choose. That way you can figure out exactly what you like. The only advantage I see with a ps3 is the Linux dual-boot factor. But if its all about games, then why go with the system with less to choose from? Just my $0.02.

Dharmachakra
December 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
This isn't really a good place to ask. A good chunk of the people who respond will be against an Xbox by default.

I own an Xbox. It's nice, and if you're looking for a good online experience, it's the way to go. A friend of mine owns both and only plays on Xbox Live because PSN is "terrible". However, the only game he owns for both systems is GTA4.

Other than that, I would say the PS3 wins. I like the controller more, graphics are much more slick, quieter, and Blu-Ray is incredible.

If you buy an Xbox, make sure you put it on it's side and pound or two of weight on it. It's helped me avoid any overheating for over two years now.

nath2008uk
December 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
please excuse my grammar , on my ps3 n need usb keyboard

il do a compare from my exp..
i own both the 360 n ps3 been a 360 gamer for long , left 4 dead rules! got the rrod on both consoles n fixed 1. recently gt crashes in fallout 3 on the 360 ... crap thing ..
ps3 has easy options to play multi media like music n vids aswell as import em to the hdd , install other os's and grear graphics n games , free online and internet browser , wifi n motion sensetive controllers, ps3 home, hdmi support n bluray n so on... seems like microsoft haave a rep of copying other consoles like top of controller memory slots from dreamcast , analogs like the gamecube and A B n X Y buttons, not 2 mention wii like avatars... betterjust wait til i get my pc working, sat playing cod4 on this ps3 til about 7 in the morning from midnight

Icehuck
December 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM
The Xbox 360 can be had for $200.00(yes its arcade but its still $200) while the PS3 is at $400.00. With the economy the way it is the 360 is the way to go. The arguement for the PS3 to be a cheap blu ray player is out, since players are now $200 stand alone. Mutlimedia features are about the same as well. Also just about every game is cross platform and games that aren't are just another form of DRM imo.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM

By buying an xbox, you help little Billy's dream come true- a monopoly.

I just got the PS3, and it kicks ***.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Am too fancying PS3 for a while. I heard it has a supercomputer on the chip. Personally I have always felt PS3 is generation ahead of XBox. Can anyone please comment on the muscle of PS3.

Hell, it has CELL!!!! An 8-cored powerPC chip made by the most open-source friendly company that makes computers- IBM running @ 3.2ghz, with 256mb of ram running at 3.2ghz, a gpu that uses one of the cores of CELL with 256 mb of ram running @700mhz. And all of that for 400$. I'd say it's CHEAP!!!!!!

C'mon, at the place where I live, it costs 600$, but runs faster than a computer that costs 2000$!

Icehuck
December 30th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hell, it has CELL!!!! An 8-cored powerPC chip made by the most open-source friendly company that makes computers- IBM running @ 3.2ghz, with 256mb of ram running at 3.2ghz, a gpu that uses one of the cores of CELL with 256 mb of ram running @700mhz. And all of that for 400$. I'd say it's CHEAP!!!!!!

C'mon, at the place where I live, it costs 600$, but runs faster than a computer that costs 2000$!

Yeah, its a video game system, it needs run my games and get out of the way.

nath2008uk
December 30th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I still prefer the ps3 (Guess what, I'm on a laptop, grammar time!).
IIRC the xbox only supports 1 Video file type?
AFAIK is has pretty much no sort of homebrew or dashboard hacks.
It's pretty slow, crashes alot, more fail rate (Hint, RROD).
Doesn't even come with HDMI ports or Built in wifi.
PS3 has more, and costs more, and I like it more.
Besides, most games I've tried on the xbox 360 Aint backwards compatable (Talking about the original xbox games here).
I'm not saying the 360 console is useless crap, but if you can, get the ps3.
I own both the 360 and the PS3, and IIRC the old xbox 360 live joining system didn't even work properly.

busemans
December 30th, 2008, 02:54 AM
The fact that it's not a microsoft product is nice...

Good luck...

xbox360 has three apple processors in it.

i did not read all the pages of this so i don't know if you bought something already but i ahve two xbox 360s and will get another for the kids room. we have had all systems but the ps3 and the wii. we had to many problems with our three ps2 to buy a ps3 and learned with our first xbox (gen1) how easy they are to mod. i only buy broken xboxes for really cheapo and then fix whatever is wrong. i haven't gotten any 360 though because everyone wants those now since they are so easy to mod. i used to buy broken gen1s for about 15 bucks though and then put an new hd or dvd drive in them and be good to go. i had so many once i gave them to people so we could play online with each other.

tuxxy
December 30th, 2008, 02:56 AM
You gotta be crazy to need to ask the question... even that xbox stealth doesn't come close to the hardware in a PS3

busemans
December 30th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I still prefer the ps3 (Guess what, I'm on a laptop, grammar time!).
IIRC the xbox only supports 1 Video file type?
AFAIK is has pretty much no sort of homebrew or dashboard hacks.
It's pretty slow, crashes alot, more fail rate (Hint, RROD).
Doesn't even come with HDMI ports or Built in wifi.
PS3 has more, and costs more, and I like it more.
Besides, most games I've tried on the xbox 360 Aint backwards compatable (Talking about the original xbox games here).
I'm not saying the 360 console is useless crap, but if you can, get the ps3.
I own both the 360 and the PS3, and IIRC the old xbox 360 live joining system didn't even work properly.

you are so wrong you don't even know if your coming or going.

there are tons of hacks and mods for the xbox360, just like the old xbox gen1. the only crashes (red ring of death) are from the lowest grade xbox 360 from the first sets made because of cooling issues. it is a 7 dollar fix though if you happen to unluckily buy a used one that hasn't crashed already. the lowest grade (core) models have very low video graphics and small hard drives. i have two of the halo edition models and there is an hdmi cable port on the back because that is how both of my 360 are hooked up. all 40 of my first generation xbox games work on my xbox360 and my kids love playing halo on the big tv because the spartan is almost as big as they are.

and all your complaints are things my buddy said about his ps3, crap breaks alot, few games, etc etc.:confused:

not trying to attack you man but you sound like a sony fan boy who has never even played an xbox360.

busemans
December 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox360

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3

this should let you know whats true and whats not so you can make your own choice.

nath2008uk
December 30th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I don't wish to argue, But seriously, Don't tell me what I have and Haven't played.
I have played the 360, own two consoles and have done for 2 years.
Mods?
Link me to one dashboard mod.
No, you can't hack it like the original xbox.
I know since I used to own the original one and modded the dashboard completely, through FTP connection.
I am NOT a sony fanboy, NOR a 360 fanboy.
You seem like you DON'T know what you are doing.
Look here.
PS3 and Xbox 360 are NEXT generation consoles.
The original xbox and ps2 are not.
I for one, have never had any problems with the ps2, and we have had four in the past (Me and my father had one each, but sold them for room, my sister has one and my brother has one).
So you must have done something wrong with them to break them.
As for modding, if you mean external modding, IE DvD drive flashing and case replacements then listen here, they are not xbox 360 exclusive, heck, it can be done with anything.
But from your 2nd last post, you are an idiot.
Small hardrives.
HDD drives are EXTERNAL!
You buy them SEPERATLY.
As for low video graphics, I think not.
Maybe a twitch barely noticable worse, but nothing that really stands out.
As for halo Editions, I don't even know what editions they are, but I can tell you that no other xbox 360 console has hdmi slots on the back (Default consoles).

fuzzylunkinz
December 30th, 2008, 03:19 AM
The only thing I dislike about Microsoft is Windows. They make great hardware and even great games (including my most favorite game of all time, Allegiance).

I have a 360 and love it. Fable II is awesome! I was going to wait to get it on PC, but this was worth it.

Plus the Xbox controllers are way better.

EDIT:
If you just want to play games, the Xbox definitely wins (especially with selection).

Almost all arguments I see here have to do with
1) Hating Microsoft
2) Non-gaming things

EDIT 2:

but I can tell you that no other xbox 360 console has hdmi slots on the back (Default consoles).

Wrong, my Xbox 360 Arcade has one.

tuxxy
December 30th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I thought we had already sorted this out and heard the last of these xbox fanboys when Blueray owned HDVD :)

PS3 controllers are the best thats why xbox copied them and PS3 hardware and software is superior to xbox.... 60 player online anyone? :D

nath2008uk
December 30th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Agreed, I do somewhat prefer the 360 controller, but the ps3 just takes time getting used to.
IF you can live with feed online play and the once in a while freeze/crash and other stuff, then go for the xbox.
IF you want a multimedia blu-ray DVD playing, music booming console get the PS3.
Bad thing is, I own the 40 gb ps3, the ONLY one that has NO backwards compatability

Lol yeah, xbox copy alot, top slot memory card slots from the dreamcast (Great console), X Y and A B buttons (Hint, Nintendo) and analog stick positions like the gamecube.
Bet sony got pissed and decided to copy them back

As for HDMI, well, didn't know about the Arcade/Elite ones.
Do elite have them to (Just curious).
Never really checked them out. Since I use one of the older consoles that got the RROD.
Took them a while to realise :P
You can see the xbox costing over £130, yet the ps3 costs over £200, but has more compatability. I don't need to buy a SPECIAL XBOX 360 CONTROLLER MIC, no, just plug in my microphone I've had for years, nor buy a chatpad, no, just insert my usb keyboard :P

fuzzylunkinz
December 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM
The Elite comes with the cable, the Arcade does not.

In case you didn't know

Arcade < Pro < Elite

Arcade = basic system, white
Pro = system + hard drive (and maybe HDMI cable?), silver
Elite = all of it, black

Icehuck
December 30th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Interesting tidbit for the PS3 guys. Wallstreet Journal on PS3 (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123050978162738293.html)

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
xbox360 has three apple processors in it.

i did not read all the pages of this so i don't know if you bought something already but i ahve two xbox 360s and will get another for the kids room. we have had all systems but the ps3 and the wii. we had to many problems with our three ps2 to buy a ps3 and learned with our first xbox (gen1) how easy they are to mod. i only buy broken xboxes for really cheapo and then fix whatever is wrong. i haven't gotten any 360 though because everyone wants those now since they are so easy to mod. i used to buy broken gen1s for about 15 bucks though and then put an new hd or dvd drive in them and be good to go. i had so many once i gave them to people so we could play online with each other.

You are so wrong!!!
They are not apple processors, they are IBM's powerPCs. IBM supplied cpus for apple until Billy invested in apple and made it use Billy's best friend's intel chips.

And you just made the whole xbox thing look worse. You bought broken xboxes to fix them and reuse them again. This means two things:
1. You are eco-friendly.
2. Xboxes in general are not reliable.

mips
December 31st, 2008, 11:45 AM
You are so wrong!!!
They are not apple processors, they are IBM's powerPCs. IBM supplied cpus for apple until Billy invested in apple and made it use Billy's best friend's intel chips.

Technically speaking they are Apple processors. PowerPC was a collaboration between Apple, IBM & Motorola (AIM). Architecture design was done by all 3 parties. The actual manufacturing was done by IBM & Motorola.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC

Greyed
December 31st, 2008, 11:53 AM
And here I thought OMGPP was gone. *sigh* Go away, children.

BrokenKingpin
January 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Xbox 360 for sure. The 360 has more games and a much better online experience. Also, MS has taken care of the hardware failures on the newer models, so that really isn't much of an issue anymore. The only advantage the PS3 has is BluRay.

stopie
January 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The cell processor for PS3 still doesnt have 'all of its potential' met...so it has a bright and beautiful future of games that will be awsome (as all game systems promise). But the system itself is better - just look at GTA4, as the 360 was unable to render as much of the enviroment at one time as compared to the ps3, in my own expirence.

You can also put linux on ps3 so thats an automatic winner.

Xbox is only good for HALO anymore...anything else and its PS3. (I used to be a 360 fanboy fyi)

Thelasko
January 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
just look at GTA4, as the 360 was unable to render as much of the enviroment at one time as compared to the ps3, in my own expirence.

You mean like how only three kinds of cars can appear on the screen at once? How many kinds of cars can appear at once on the PS3? I always figured this was more of an issue with video RAM than the CPU.

browndog
January 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Don't give into the Redmond monster...support anything, including playstation, that ISNT microsoft.

artir
January 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I'll tell you in words: BluRay, Free Online, Killzone 2.
PS3 is far better than the microbox

domokunrox
January 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
These kinds of questions on forums are very stupid.

What I did to decide what console I wanted was I looked at the big exclusives.

The 360 has Halo and Gears of War
The PS3 has Little Big Planet, Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance, GT5.

Icehuck
January 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'll tell you in words: BluRay, Free Online, Killzone 2.
PS3 is far better than the microbox

Bluray is expensive save your money and get regular dvds. Free online but pretty slow especially at peak hours. I don't know anyone who cares about killzone 2.

PS3 has better processor but less GPU power. IBM developed xbox 360's processor based on cell designs.

I like my PS3 but those selling points aren't that great. Killzone will probably end up like Little Big Planet. Which ended up being a joke of a release despite the hype. Pay $60 to develop your own game? FAIL.

Thelasko
January 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Don't give into the Redmond monster...support anything, including playstation, that ISNT microsoft.

IMHO Sony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony#Controversy) isn't much better. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit) Given their track record for creating proprietary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minidisc), vendor locking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick), products (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax), I might even say they are worse. Fortunately, most of their products haven't caught on like Windows has.

Icehuck
January 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
IMHO Sony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony#Controversy) isn't much better. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit) Given their track record for creating proprietary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minidisc), vendor locking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick), products (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax), I might even say they are worse. Fortunately, most of their products haven't caught on like Windows has.

You forgot to mention the fact that Sony pulled all their movies from netflix 360 to play only on PS3. OH yeah, and they are part of the RIAA.

Simian Man
January 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
My brother in law is on his 3rd Xbox 360. The first two each broke within a year of his getting them. Now he is kind of at the mercy of a ****** product since he has so many games for them already. Kind of like a Windows user :).

Thelasko
January 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
My brother in law is on his 3rd Xbox 360. The first two each broke within a year of his getting them. Now he is kind of at the mercy of a ****** product since he has so many games for them already. Kind of like a Windows user :).

As I read this thread I note that most people are pointing out flaws rather than emphasizing strengths. The PS3's Cell Processor was supposed to be fantastic, but it ended up being a programing nightmare. The Xbox 360's more standard hardware, turns out to have severe quality issues. It all makes it so clear why the Wii is smoking them both in sales.

I suspect the OP is a hardcore gamer, and probably isn't interested in a Wii. However, I am not a hardcore gamer, and am not in the market for a console. If I were in the market for a console, I would have to go with the Wii.

The Wii is the only console that brings something new to the table. I consider it analogous to the Xerox Star or Apple Lisa. It takes gaming from enthusiasts and brings it to the general public. It's design highlights the apathy of Sony and Microsoft. While Sony and Microsoft simply took the "next logical step" Nintendo went a completely different direction, to create something revolutionary.

Sorry if I'm off topic, but after the Wii, the other two consoles pale in comparison, fancy graphics and all.

domokunrox
January 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Killzone will probably end up like Little Big Planet. Which ended up being a joke of a release despite the hype. Pay $60 to develop your own game? FAIL.

The 1.3 million + people who bought the game to date say Hello

Icehuck
January 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
The 1.3 million + people who bought the game to date say Hello

It took about 3 months to hit that sales figure. Where you have games like gears of war 2 hitting the same figure on release.

-jay-
January 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
i have owned both 3 360s all rrod never again owned 1 ps3 had a 500gb hd in it before my ex stole it & wont give it back

if i had to choose ill go with ps3 in a heart beat

Frak
January 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'd say either way. Buy what you want that will play the games you like.

IMHO, I got a PS3 for Killzone, LBP, the Bluray, Linux compat, and Folding@Home.

jimi_hendrix
January 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
if you want online experience go xbox360...ps3 people dont talk on their mics at all..

Simian Man
January 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
As I read this thread I note that most people are pointing out flaws rather than emphasizing strengths. The PS3's Cell Processor was supposed to be fantastic, but it ended up being a programing nightmare. The Xbox 360's more standard hardware, turns out to have severe quality issues. It all makes it so clear why the Wii is smoking them both in sales.

I suspect the OP is a hardcore gamer, and probably isn't interested in a Wii. However, I am not a hardcore gamer, and am not in the market for a console. If I were in the market for a console, I would have to go with the Wii.

The Wii is the only console that brings something new to the table. I consider it analogous to the Xerox Star or Apple Lisa. It takes gaming from enthusiasts and brings it to the general public. It's design highlights the apathy of Sony and Microsoft. While Sony and Microsoft simply took the "next logical step" Nintendo went a completely different direction, to create something revolutionary.

Sorry if I'm off topic, but after the Wii, the other two consoles pale in comparison, fancy graphics and all.

I agree with you, I am a happy Wii user. I didn't mention it since the OP already said he had narrowed it down to the 360 or PS3. Given that choice, I'd take the PS3 as the lesser of two evils, but the Wii beats both of them hands down.

I especially like how the focus of the Wii isn't so much on hardcore gaming as I spend much more time playing w/ my family than when I had the PS2. Also the Virtual Console is the best feature of all :).

mamamia88
January 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
i have both you can't go wrong with either but i would suggest the ps3 because you don't have to pay for online or an extra $100 if you want wifi. right now i play each about 50/50

Thelasko
January 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I agree with you, I am a happy Wii user. I didn't mention it since the OP already said he had narrowed it down to the 360 or PS3.

I waited until there were at least 100 posts about the other two.:D

billgoldberg
January 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
if you want online experience go xbox360...ps3 people dont talk on their mics at all..

I don't know why you keep claiming this.

I just played some CoD 5 co-op, everyone had mics.

Johnsie
January 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure mics are even a good idea. From what I've heard these games are full of 15 year old racists who spend most of their time trolling and the filth that comes out of their mouths is enough to shock even the worst of us.

Frak
January 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure mics are even a good idea. From what I've heard these games are full of 15 year old racists who spend most of their time trolling and the filth that comes out of their mouths is enough to shock even the worst of us.
If you are offended by something, someone else says to you, that is something you need to talk to your therapist about.

Freedom of speech is universal across the entarwebz.

Icehuck
January 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Not to single you out, but the fact that you are shocked and offended is the reason why they do it. They are looking for people like you to torment. The mute feature really does wonders though.

markp1989
January 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Cheers

I would say xbox 360, because currently the PS3 is way over priced.

xbox live, is amazing. and the graphics is good.

The only reason the ps3 has high votes, is because you can install linux on it. you will probably get better results from a gaming forum.

artir
January 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Bluray is expensive save your money and get regular dvds. Free online but pretty slow especially at peak hours. I don't know anyone who cares about killzone 2.

PS3 has better processor but less GPU power. IBM developed xbox 360's processor based on cell designs.

I like my PS3 but those selling points aren't that great. Killzone will probably end up like Little Big Planet. Which ended up being a joke of a release despite the hype. Pay $60 to develop your own game? FAIL.

With a 300 kb/s connection, online is fine always, even 60 player matches on Resistance 2.
The RSX may be a bit worse than the Xbox's GPU, but the ps3 relies on the cell to do a lot of the calculations, freeing the GPU from extra work.
( http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=22858 ) <- Interesting read

swoll1980
January 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The xbox 360 is cheaper, has way more games, better graphix,(can't figure out how they pulled this off but did) and the online play blows ps3 away.

vkcooke90
January 31st, 2009, 02:45 AM
Well as a PS3 and Xbox 360 owner, i would suggest getting a PS3 because, the online is FREE, you dont have to deal with mircosoft, there is a way less chance that your PS3 will fail, it is quieter, it has a Blu-Ray built in, blu-ray format won the battle, able to put open source on the HDD, able to upgrade the HDD without having limited options as with the 360.

Yes the 360 does cost less, but in a couple of years (if you LOVE to play online) the PS3 overall cost less, and you can use alot of PS2 accessories with the PS3

danbuter
January 31st, 2009, 03:06 AM
I have a PS3 and I love it. I can play games and watch blu-ray movies. If you have an HDTV, it is the way to go.

swoll1980
January 31st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Well as a PS3 and Xbox 360 owner, i would suggest getting a PS3 because, the online is FREE,

You get what you pay for

wolfen69
January 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM
microsoft isn't getting a penny from me. PS3.

markp1989
January 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
microsoft isn't getting a penny from me. PS3.

all this brand "i cant by product X becuase its made by company Y" is stupid, just buy what you think is the best product.

billgoldberg
January 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
You get what you pay for

You do know you are on a Linux forum?

Frak
January 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
all this brand "i cant by product x becuase its made by company y" is stupid, just buy what you think is the best product.
+1