PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mounting point and file system

Peter_Bingo
November 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Just go my free CD today and was too excited to come here and ask a few questions. I have run the install but as soon as i get to the partition editor it's now asking me where to the mounting point and which file system to go with. i am running ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop which I think is using a fat 32 file system. Should i do the same here? or format to something different? And which mount point should I use.

Thanks in advance!:)

taurus
November 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Is there any other OS on that laptop? If you want to install Ubuntu on that drive as your only OS, then tell the installer to use the whole disk and it knows what to do next. But if you already have another OS on it and just want to install Ubuntu along side it, then you tell the installer how much space you want to give to Ubuntu. And the filesystem for Ubuntu, default, is ext3.

Peter_Bingo
November 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Is there any other OS on that laptop? If you want to install Ubuntu on that drive as your only OS, then tell the installer to use the whole disk and it knows what to do next. But if you already have another OS on it and just want to install Ubuntu along side it, then you tell the installer how much space you want to give to Ubuntu. And the filesystem for Ubuntu, default, is ext3.

I have windows xp and vista on my computer and i also wanted ubuntu on it. I have already told the installer how much i want on it. I will use the ext3 system like you said but what should i use as the mounting point then?

Idefix82
How much space do you want to allocate to Ubuntu? The one mount point that you definitely need is / and it should be formatted as Ext3. You might also want to create a SWAP partition (otherwise you won't be able to hibernate the laptop and also SWAP can be used as additional RAM) and possibly a /home partition, also formatted as Ext3. The latter will contain your user preferences and data, like documents, music,...

Peter_Bingo

I have windows xp and vista on my computer and i also wanted ubuntu on it. I have already told the installer how much i want on it. I will use the ext3 system like you said but what should i use as the mounting point then? And btw the laptop is a totally different computer

Peter_Bingo
November 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Finished up and running! Thanks!:)