PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] is kde4 just osx copy?

tgpraveen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
first of all let me tell u that i dont really mean to insult anyone or mean harm for anyone at kubuntu or kde.
i saw kde4.2 features and i do love it
it is shaping to be a great release.

but as i see more and more new features and all i cant help but feel that msot of the features are mac osx rip offs.

i dont wanna just speak without facts so
here are some of them

first some features that are copied in many places and also in kde4

window preview in taskbar, expose effect, alt tab switcher with graphix,

some features which are being copied first time or rarely copied

widgets with full integration done by mac, file preview (search for this feature to understand how good it is), all the focus on eye candy

please someone tell me that i am wrong to do this please tell me some new feature which is original,innovative and very good.

and i would like to end by saying that even though i am a long time user i think i will mostly switch to kde4.
it is gonna rock.

Skripka
November 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
On the surface it could be viewed that way. Many ideas are cross platform--as they are good or great ideas.

Vista stole the KBFX start menu interface, for instance.

Vista also has widgets a la KDE4 or Mac. KDE4 permits Mac widgets--as there are LOTS and LOTS of mac Dashboard widgets--and only 15 or so native Plasma Widgets (to my knowledge).

Mac Finder is a primitive tool, Dolphin is much superior in most respects.

Mac stole the roots of its OS from BSD.

There is lots of "borrowing" going on, and finding the root of a good idea is a troublesome endeavour at best. I'd wager most of the polished ideas on Mac came from Linux first. I cannot prove that, but that is my hunch.

keithld
November 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Here's a bit of the Mac OS X history:

OS X (http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/history.html)

and a bit about Darwin:

Darwin (http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch.html)

Here's a more in depth History of all their OS's:

A History of Apple's Operating Systems (http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/oshistory/)

tgpraveen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
well still kde4 needs some totally radically cool new unthought of before feature.

and also from ur above post i hope that more no. of native kde4 widgets should be developed.

also there should also be a very good file search app integrated which blow gdesktop away and jsut for the record tracker sucks.

tgpraveen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
well still kde4 needs some totally radically cool new unthought of before feature.

and also from ur above post i hope that more no. of native kde4 widgets should be developed.

also there should also be a very good file search app integrated which blow gdesktop away and jsut for the record tracker sucks.

kernelhaxor
November 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM

Thats not how one should think. Just because something is totally new and unthought before doesn't mean its good. May be not all, but many conventional things are indeed the best ways to do some tasks; we should keep them and still be innovative in designing things that will maximize the productivity of users or whatever the goal is.

Many of the features that you mention, like taskbar preview are really basic features, I mean to say it is easy to come up with such things naturally .. they are not necessarily copied ..
KDE4 and OSX are so different (they are not even the same thing .. one is an OS while the other is a Desktop Environment) and saying 'is kde4 just osx copy' based on a few similarities like taskbar preview and application switcher is just funny to me (no offence meant) ..