PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 hangs in the first steps of installation

guarriman
November 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hi.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 8.10 on a PC when I had Fedora 3 previously.

I passed three steps:
- select language (English)
- Install a new Ubuntu
- Ubuntu logo with orange progress bar
- it hangs when the orange/brown painting appears. The mouse pointer stops and I must reboot my PC.

As I mention, I had Fedora installed on the same PC, I checked twice the CD integrity (in fact, I've got two, one downloaded from ubuntu.com and the other one delivered by mail from Canonica), and I installed Ubuntu 8.10 propoertly on another PC with the same CD.

Any suggestion? Thank you very much.

Duncan1382
November 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 8.10 on a PC when I had Fedora 3 previously.

I passed three steps:
- select language (English)
- Install a new Ubuntu
- Ubuntu logo with orange progress bar
- it hangs when the orange/brown painting appears. The mouse pointer stops and I must reboot my PC.

As I mention, I had Fedora installed on the same PC, I checked twice the CD integrity (in fact, I've got two, one downloaded from ubuntu.com and the other one delivered by mail from Canonica), and I installed Ubuntu 8.10 propoertly on another PC with the same CD.

Any suggestion? Thank you very much.

EXACTLY my problem. I'm looking for an answer to this.

Btw, the computer I'm using is a mostly-stock Dell Precision WorkStation 530. It has a Intel Xeon processor, which I think is the problem.

Kevbert
November 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
guarriman. What are you system specs (especially memory) ? How long do you leave the PC in this state as it has to load the OS into memory ?

guarriman
November 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
My configuration:

AMD Semprom 3300+ 2.01 GHz
448 Mb of RAM
100 GB of disk space

From Ubuntu official CD:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
To use Ubuntu you should have a PC with at least 256 MB of RAM. To install Ubuntu, you should have at least 4 GB o disk space.

This Desktop Edition will run of most PCs including those with Intel, AMD an compatible processors

So I understand that my PC should run the Ubuntu Desktop installation CD, right?

Thank you very much for your answers.

psycho5
November 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Is that shared memory with your video memory or dedicated 448 mb?

Unplug any external usb devices you might have plugged in, except for the obvious mouse and keyboard and speakers; Such as external storage devices.

Duncan1382
November 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
I found that it worked if I used the program in the Ubuntu burning tutorial and set the burning speed down to 4X.

Nero didn't seem to work for me.

Kevbert
November 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
My configuration:

AMD Semprom 3300+ 2.01 GHz
448 Mb of RAM
100 GB of disk space

From Ubuntu official CD:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
To use Ubuntu you should have a PC with at least 256 MB of RAM. To install Ubuntu, you should have at least 4 GB o disk space.

This Desktop Edition will run of most PCs including those with Intel, AMD an compatible processors

So I understand that my PC should run the Ubuntu Desktop installation CD, right?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Specs are fine for the standard install (alternate has no graphical user interface and no live mode - 'try before you buy option'). If you have less than 384Mb of available 'user memory' you should use the alternate version (if some of the 448Mb of memory is shared with the video card). If you are burning the ISO yourself you need to do a checksum of the ISO you download first - see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) on how to do that. You need to burn the image (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto) at 4x or less to minimise errors. Next thing is to check the CD integrity via the CD boot menu. A memory check is worth doing (again via the menu - memtest).
When you run the install (standard CD) there may be a long wait between selecting install and anything seeming to happen (can be 5 minutes). Are you going to use the full hard disk space or are your dual booting with say Windows. With the amount of memory you have it may be better to use Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/get) as this is more streamlined to low resource PCs (i.e. RAM) and it will run a lot faster. I would go for the 8.0.4 32 bit version as it's a lot more stable than 8.10 and is a long term support version unlike 8.10 which will be superseded in April.