PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading 8.04 now or later?

colintivy
November 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi! folks!!

Looking at other posts on 8.10 by those who have taken this plunge, as a newish Hardy devotee I wonder what lies ahead if I wait until the evident tribulations in some areas with 8.10 end? If I wait until Hardy LTS is about to expire and upgrade to 9.0X, will this be possible if I have kept Hardy up to date or will it be necessary load the last (or all intermediate) versions of 8 first ? Here I assume that a series of half-yearly versions will have appeared during this time, This must be a question in the minds of others but I do not seem to have seen them. Advice please.

Colintivy :roll:

ugm6hr
November 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
It is anticipated that there will be an upgrade route for LTS versions. i.e. 8.04 to 10.04 directly.

So 8.04 can directly upgrade to 8.10 or 10.04 (when released). Nevertheless, a fresh install is probably better anyway.

Idefix82
November 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
If you want to upgrade using the update manager then you will probably either be able to jump from the current LTS release to the next LTS release or you will have to update hopping through all the versions.

On the other hand you always have the option of doing a clean install (and keeping your /home if it's on a separate partition) so with that you will be able to jump from any version to any other.