PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New ubuntu notebook

vistauser123
November 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
My next door neighbour has recently purchased a notebook with ubuntu O/S, I only know windows, but because he has purchased an Orange phone Dongle for his notebook with a small and slow download capacity he has asked me to contact the forum.

Since starting up his notebook he has something like 175 items requesting downloading/updating should he download everthing in the list? or should he delete them, if delete how does he do this. Thank You

oilchangeguy
November 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
My next door neighbour has recently purchased a notebook with ubuntu O/S, I only know windows, but because he has purchased an Orange phone Dongle for his notebook with a small and slow download capacity he has asked me to contact the forum.

Since starting up his notebook he has something like 175 items requesting downloading/updating should he download everthing in the list? or should he delete them, if delete how does he do this. Thank You

install all updates.

Bucky Ball
November 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
He should learn to use the forums real quick otherwise you could get very busy with his questions! He will get a lot more benefit out of it besides (he is learning a system unlike ******* conceptually and otherwise). :)

vistauser123
November 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the two answers, he has been trying to download some and then they get to 75% and start again at 1% any ideas?

Bucky Ball
November 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
There are a lot of items to download. How long are you giving it and how fast is the connection? Getting to 75% then back to 1 could just be one finishing and the other next beginning. Have a good look at the screen while this is happening and see if you can pick up any more detail, as specific as you can get. What text are you getting whilst all this is happening? Is it showing an error or just taking an age? Is this behavior going on for an hour and causing the user to reboot or kill the process? Let us know.

Whilst this is happening, you have an arrow at the bottom of that window and next to it is written 'Details'. Click that arrow and it will open a terminal and let you see what is happening 'behind the scenes'. Is the behavior normal, as in it is just going on from one update to the next? Or can you actually see it is trying to load the same update repeatedly?

vistauser123
November 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks I have passed it on