PDA

View Full Version : I run a music festival in cornwall and would like to promote ubuntu...

daverich
November 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
How I can hand out cds, or link to ubuntu via the website (which we've done the past few years) and all the website/design and even movie footage is edited with ubuntu using open source software.

Any other ideas?

It's not a big festival,- only up to 2000 people but it's a nice opportunity to promote to some people.

Of course I'm happy to do this for free.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dixon Bainbridge
November 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
As a Plymouthian, I thoroughly endorse this project/service.

daverich
November 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have thought about providing an internet cafe type thing only running ubuntu computers,- but the problem is we dont have broadband there (can you believe it! - apparently the lines won't reach)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dixon Bainbridge
November 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Tavistock isn't exactly in the wilds is it?

Maybe buy a huge satellite dish and stick it on top of a tor and steal Plymouth's wifi network. You could then sell it to Tavistock residents for a huge profit and become rich.

/cringes at crap gag.

daverich
November 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Tavistock isn't exactly in the wilds is it?

Maybe buy a huge satellite dish and stick it on top of a tor and steal Plymouth's wifi network. You could then sell it to Tavistock residents for a huge profit and become rich.

/cringes at crap gag.

haha ;)

no, the festival is at colliford lake park,- in the middle of bodmin moor.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dixon Bainbridge
November 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
PM a flier or something. I might attend :)

daverich
November 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
PM a flier or something. I might attend :)

haven't got that far yet :) - still booking the bands, but will do once it's sorted.

it's looking like we've got a few plymouth bands again this year,- mad dog, hillside heroes, the van daniels - off the top of my head.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

RATM_Owns
November 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
haven't got that far yet :) - still booking the bands, but will do once it's sorted.

it's looking like we've got a few plymouth bands again this year,- mad dog, hillside heroes, the van daniels - off the top of my head.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Get Rage Against the Machine.
Best band ever.

daverich
November 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Get Rage Against the Machine.
Best band ever.

we only have bands from devon and cornwall - it's a local thing.

plus, I imagine they would want more money than our entire turnover for 3 years running ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dixon Bainbridge
November 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Rage are down with the "man". They might do it for £4.50 and a bag a chips.

daverich
November 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Rage are down with the "man". They might do it for £4.50 and a bag a chips.

£4.50 and a bag of crisps maybe?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

CJ56
November 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I'm sure you've already thought of all this but -

- You could make sure that absolutely every single piece of paper - fliers, posters, handouts, official writing paper, band contracts etc etc - has something like Powered By Ubuntu Open Source Software, plus Ubuntu logo, in a corner or at the bottom

- Ditto beermats, banners, stuff hung up over the stage, official notices, signs to the toilets...

- Mixed Ubuntu stickers are only 43p a sheet from the Canonical store - if you ordered 100 sheets I bet they'd cut you a deal & you could plaster them all over the place

The thing is to get people saying What the hell does Ubuntu Open Source Software mean? And then you tell 'em

Can't think of anything else at present...

But it sounds like a great event & it's a beautiful part of the world down there...

Vadi
November 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'd setup a computer(s), print out some Compiz cheat-sheets to be laminated and put beside them. Let people play with the computers & effects.

order some cd's from shipit too

wolfen69
November 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
if you do not have internet access, you could still have a small tent with a few computers showing off ubuntu. have them use open office, brasero (they could burn their own live cd to take home) compiz, play music, videos, etc. also, you could have 1 computer running "digital tipping point" videos. you can find them at archive.org. they are videos of people involed in linux/open source. (soon to be a movie) there is still alot of things you can do without internet. if i lived in the UK i would volunteer to help, but i'm in the US.

ali_bongos_dad
November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I have thought about providing an internet cafe type thing only running ubuntu computers,- but the problem is we dont have broadband there (can you believe it! - apparently the lines won't reach)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Try looking at this http://flakey.info/hesfes05/ if you are thinking of an internet cafe. The links a bit old but there may be a chance that they could provide facilities still. They're not that far away either.

smartboyathome
November 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Make sure you notify everyone that it might not work on their computer, and not all hardware is supported. Also notify them that it has a learning curve to it, and won't be exactly like Windows nor will it run most Windows programs. By notifying them of the downsides, it will make you sound more credible and will avoid many people getting ticked off by the stuff noted previously and then telling other people to avoid it.

happysmileman
November 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
If you'll be selling t-shirts or CDs or anything have the Ubuntu CDs and some leaflets on the table with them marked "Free", people will most likely grab anything Free if they can, maybe mention in leaflets or something how much of the work her was done using it, just be clear that it's not just for musicians.

jflaker
November 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Make sure you notify everyone that it might not work on their computer, and not all hardware is supported. Also notify them that it has a learning curve to it, and won't be exactly like Windows nor will it run most Windows programs. By notifying them of the downsides, it will make you sound more credible and will avoid many people getting ticked off by the stuff noted previously and then telling other people to avoid it.

Follow up your statements with, "but to make a comparison........Windows Vista doesn't support all hardware, doesn't run on all systems, requires a learning curve and doesn't run all "Windows" programs either. However, you don't need to spend $$HUNDREDS$$ to find out if it won't work for you.

Then provide precise instructions and a demonstration computer... on dual booting and migration of data.

being honest and comparing the downside to the latest and greatest Microsoft products will keep the perspective in line.

koleoptero
November 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Just do whatever you see fit. Don't forget it's a music festival, not a computer seminar :P

billgoldberg
November 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Ask Canonical for a a load of cd's.

They should give them if you say it's for promotional services.

The best idea would be to set up a few computers the people can try out, but if you can't have an internet connection, that just isn't going to cut it.

Tom--d
November 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hey!
I'm from Plymouth.. I thought I should throw that in there ;)

Also, to get boardband, just run a cable to the nestest point which has boardband :P

daverich
November 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
thanks for some great ideas there folks.

I will ask canonical for some cds,- that seems like a simple thing to do that would be effective.

I wonder if they have a few posters also....

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

Paqman
November 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Intrepid is a lot better at connecting to mobile phones. If you know someone with a 3G phone and unlimited data, then you could maybe hook a laptop up to the phone and let people surf that way. I don't think Ubuntu without internet connectivity will really inspire people. Once they see that they can surf, email and IM just like on Windows they'll be more open to using it.

You might also want to demonstrate it dual-boot (or better yet, Windows in a VM) to show that it's not all-or-nothing.

Oh and set up some really slick desktop effects. You need it to be head and shoulders clear of Vista's bling. Maybe set up one user account as the defaults, then have several more showing a range of customisation options, and then switch between them.

daverich
November 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Intrepid is a lot better at connecting to mobile phones. If you know someone with a 3G phone and unlimited data, then you could maybe hook a laptop up to the phone and let people surf that way. I don't think Ubuntu without internet connectivity will really inspire people. Once they see that they can surf, email and IM just like on Windows they'll be more open to using it.

You might also want to demonstrate it dual-boot (or better yet, Windows in a VM) to show that it's not all-or-nothing.

Oh and set up some really slick desktop effects. You need it to be head and shoulders clear of Vista's bling. Maybe set up one user account as the defaults, then have several more showing a range of customisation options, and then switch between them.

whatever we do will need to be set it and forget it,- there's sooo much to do on the day I won't have time to demonstrate stuff, but yeah you are right,- an internet connection will give people a reason to use it properly.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

ssam
November 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
get in touch with you local loco group https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList and see if they want to run a stall.

daverich
November 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
get in touch with you local loco group https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList and see if they want to run a stall.

there doesn't seem to be anyone local on there, but thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Swagman
November 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Awesome Idea.

I used to be the chief Organista of Amiga Big Bash events here in Peterborough.

Kinda tempted to organise a similar "Openistas" event next summer here in the Boro.

ssam
November 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
there is the UKteam
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam
and some sub teams
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/SouthWest

(they are a bit hard to find on the wiki. i had to search)

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
tell them about the magic of dual booting...

jimi_hendrix
November 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
mention how 99.9% of the software on linux is free

Swagman
November 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Connect one of the *Buntu boxes to a kick **** sound system and install Lmms or Hydrogen and get a Muso to mess about with it.

Bet that would drw a crowd.. Especially when you tell them the software is free.

Damn... Giving away my ideas !!

hehe

Good luck for it dude.

Tigershell
November 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Remember it's a music festival. :guitar:

daverich
November 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Remember it's a music festival. :guitar:

oh sure.

This will only be a stall,- not anything that will overshadow the music.

Kind regards

Dave Rich