PDA

View Full Version : Python project idea

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hey guys. Ive been learning python for almost a year now and am at the stage where i think books dont really give me what i want as far as learning new things goes. I started looking around for python based projects and found that, a) it was hard to find any that I was able to help with and b) there is few if any projects to help python newcomers.

I'm thinking about starting a python learning project to help people learn the language. My idea is to start by having an overview of say python basics, then at the end of the chapter have a challenge that only incorporates what was learned in that chapter or a previous chapter. So for example i would have a chapter on loops after a chapter on basic strings and raw_input stuff, then have a challange of writing a guess the number game.

Does anyone think this is a good idea, would anyone be interested in helping?

Thanks

Bodsda

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I like that idea, I know I'm not extremely Programming Savy, and a few basic tutorials that newbies (like me) could follow and learn would be a fantastic idea, would we make it into a PDF or how would we go about this?

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
A pdf would be a great idea. Although each section may only be a page long, and i dont really wont this to wait untill all the writing is done before its released, i wont it to be a work in progress all the time. Having said that, whats wrong with a 1 page pdf?

after we have done say 5 lessons we could then join them all together in a pdf and release it as sort of a reference.

So hankinator, you wanna help?

nvteighen
November 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
FYI, I started PycTacToe for mid-beginners... (see sig) but even though there was some initial interest, currently only two of us are working on it. Maybe because it got too complex, people have not enough time, or just it wasn't an interesting project... Whatever.

Also, look at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=989931
But it's a great idea, of course, and I'll be glad to help.

EDIT: Oh, sorry... I though you wanted to create a development project, not a tutorial... :p

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
yeah a project has to start somewhere ya know? and sure, i don't know a lot about programing, im more of a cisco certified kinda guy, or im working on it at least, but i would be happy to lend a hand.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
FYI, I started PycTacToe for mid-beginners... (see sig) but even though there was some initial interest, currently only two of us are working on it. Maybe because it got too complex, people have not enough time, or just it wasn't an interesting project... Whatever.

Also, look at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=989931
But it's a great idea, of course, and I'll be glad to help.

EDIT: Oh, sorry... I though you wanted to create a development project, not a tutorial... :p

Hehe -- Im a multitasking kinda guy lol I'm doing the PySchool(for lack of a better name -- suggestions wanted) as a tutorial / project / mini dev type of thing. As well as in spare time working on the sudoku solver :)

yeah a project has to start somewhere ya know? and sure, i don't know a lot about programing, im more of a cisco certified kinda guy, or im working on it at least, but i would be happy to lend a hand.
Thanks -- How much python(if any) do you know?

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know that much, I could pick up on some of it if i saw it, i know a bit of java and a minor amount of C++ so.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I don't know that much, I could pick up on some of it if i saw it, i know a bit of java and a minor amount of C++ so.

can you understand this? -- http://pastebin.com/f7520dd0b

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
yeah i do, i can read programming well, just not write it :/ its a number guessing game, you input a # and it will spit out if its the right #, or if its to high or to low.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
cool

So what aspect would you like to help with?

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
well i could make the PDF, that part isn't to difficult, and I could learn a little bit of python to help out, like I could check over it. What else would you need help with?

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I could do with someone to:

Help decide what order things should be done eg. print statement, input, for, while etc etc

Help write the pdf's with or without code -- If you just want to write about it but dont want to do the code examples thats fine

People to write code examples

Find somewhere to host this -- possibly launchpad

Act like a total n00b and ask stupid questions like what is a python so that everyone will understand it :)

Which one/s do you wanna do?

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM

Help decide what order things should be done eg. print statement, input, for, while etc etc

Help write the pdf's with or without code -- If you just want to write about it but dont want to do the code examples thats fine

Act like a total n00b and ask stupid questions like what is a python so that everyone will understand it :)

I have hosting btw, website and FTP, i just used XAMPP and windows haha, and i could ask stupid question cause like i understand where complete newbs need to start from, and i have software to create the PDF's so.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have hosting btw, website and FTP, i just used XAMPP and windows haha, and i could ask stupid question cause like i understand where complete newbs need to start from, and i have software to create the PDF's so.

Cool, sounds good -- wheres your hosting?

I have written the first document with open office, which can export as pdf but not very well, if you give me your email address I can email the document to you

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Wow, this sounds like a really good idea.
I have a decent level of procedural Python--no GUIs, and my OOP isn't great--so I can only help with so much. That said:

Help decide what order things should be done eg. print statement, input, for, while etc etc If there's a discussion on this, I'd love to join it. My learning is recent enough that I remember my opinions on the order.

Help write the pdf's with or without code -- If you just want to write about it but dont want to do the code examples thats fineI can contribute (like just cover one topic) if you want.

I can critique........

Does Launchpad host documentation?

Heh, that could be fun :)

Let me know how I can help!

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah--I put it on pause because I was working hard enough understanding the code, let alone contributing. I might get back into it once the engine is decided upon.

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Meh. Mine's shorter: http://python.tmac.andrewmin.com/raw/guess.txt
Although less structured.

Kilon
November 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hey guys. Ive been learning python for almost a year now and am at the stage where i think books dont really give me what i want as far as learning new things goes. I started looking around for python based projects and found that, a) it was hard to find any that I was able to help with and b) there is few if any projects to help python newcomers.

I'm thinking about starting a python learning project to help people learn the language. My idea is to start by having an overview of say python basics, then at the end of the chapter have a challenge that only incorporates what was learned in that chapter or a previous chapter. So for example i would have a chapter on loops after a chapter on basic strings and raw_input stuff, then have a challange of writing a guess the number game.

Does anyone think this is a good idea, would anyone be interested in helping?

Thanks

Bodsda

That is exactly why abandoned Python , little after I have finished studying the basics and Joined Java instead. Java might be more difficult but it is "1000 times" more easy to find projects, open source and advanced documentantion or any help you need.

I fully support your project , I think that python depserately needs something like this to prove that is beginner friendly and not just an easy language for experienced and pro programmers. I wish I knew python in depth to participate meaningfully but I surely will keep an eye on your project.

pmasiar
November 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
OP, are you aware about PythonChallenge.com and Python-tutor mailing list?

I don't want to discourage you, but there are zillions of Python tutorials all over the web, only problem is that most of them are done by little advanced programmers like you, not accomplished experts.

I have wiki with links to best of those (see my sig) and with collection of tasks.

You can also contact LaRoza (see stickies) but not via PM - LaRoza is banned (don't ask why - IMHO mods overreacted as they sometimes do).

LaRoza migh be open to run such forum (now when not on UF) - but IMHO it should be structured as PythonChallenge, around tasks.

My advice: don't waste time writing new tutorials, there are many better ones than you will ever write. If you are really serious, lets get together me, you, LaRoza. PM me.

Of course you are free to waste your own free time on anything you want to do, and nobody will stop you. ;-)

pmasiar
November 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
That is exactly why abandoned Python , little after I have finished studying the basics and Joined Java instead. Java might be more difficult but it is "1000 times" more easy to find projects, open source and advanced documentantion or any help you need.

BS. You just did not know where to ask.

> I fully support your project , I think that python depserately needs something like this to prove that is beginner friendly and not just an easy language for experienced and pro programmers.

BS. "Desperately"? See also my previous answer.

Python does not need as much docs because is so much simpler. Ie compare XMP parsing via ElementTree (Python) and DOM/SAX nightmare in Java. Explain me why Java needs 60+ file-like classes to handle I/O. See also "Why I love/hate Java" in stickies.

CptPicard
November 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Java might be more difficult but it is "1000 times" more easy to find projects, open source and advanced documentantion or any help you need. .... I think that python depserately needs something like this to prove that is beginner friendly and not just an easy language for experienced and pro programmers.

Remember our discussion about different qualities of information vs. quantity of it?

Here we again came up against with the same issue. I tend to believe that Python indeed is very beginner-friendly and that Java is cumbersome in comparison as a language, but the point is that Python is different -- it has a lot of conceptual points to learn that are rather logical, elegant and obvious, but if you really are stuck in the C-like language mindset, some things will feel strange. You actually need to unlearn some stuff as you go...

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
In terms of beginner-friendliness, try comparing the two "Hello World!"s

print "Hello World!"
and

class hello
{
public static void main(String args[])
{
System.out.println("Hello World!");
}
}
the Python learner can immediately start learning about imperative programming--a valuable skill in itself--and learn OOP when he's ready for it. The Java learner suddenly has 7 lines of code thrown in his face, and the explanation will either be thorough, but overwhileming, or simplistic, but deceptive.

Just my rant-ish thoughts....

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
hey thanks for everyones support, we are working on it right now, theres a lot of work that needs to be done, so any help is welcome, i think we need to use it orderly, like sections and chapters, it just makes more sense, python only looks difficult if you don't know it. once you know it, its a valuable tool in the programming world.

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
hey thanks for everyones support, we are working on it right now, theres a lot of work that needs to be done, so any help is welcome, i think we need to use it orderly, like sections and chapters, it just makes more sense, python only looks difficult if you don't know it. once you know it, its a valuable tool in the programming world.
I hate to ask this, and I mean it in all politeness, but: Did you read pmasiar's first two posts?

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
OP, are you aware about PythonChallenge.com and Python-tutor mailing list?

My advice: don't waste time writing new tutorials, there are many better ones than you will ever write. If you are really serious, lets get together me, you, LaRoza. PM me.

Wow, I'm honored pmasiar. Yes I am aware of PythonChallenge which is basically nothing to do with python :) I tried the site and got way over my head in the first few challenges (did this a few months into my python learning)

What I hope to achieve is something that is aimed at every single person, regardless of their skills with python or their programming in/experience -- PythonChallenge has good features, I like the way everything is centered around challenges. Perhaps What we should do is have it challenge based but with each challenge we should link to the best tuto on the subject

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Wow, I'm honored pmasiar. Yes I am aware of PythonChallenge which is basically nothing to do with python :) I tried the site and got way over my head in the first few challenges (did this a few months into my python learning)

What I hope to achieve is something that is aimed at every single person, regardless of their skills with python or their programming in/experience -- PythonChallenge has good features, I like the way everything is centered around challenges. Perhaps What we should do is have it challenge based but with each challenge we should link to the best tuto on the subject
I can see the weight of my opinion shrinking rapidly :) However, I'll still give it:
For beginners (like me) it's much nicer learning (tutorial) and then practicing (challenge) There's a saying, "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lessons afterwards." Let's not make it "PySchool is a hard teacher because it tests you before it teaches you." One hard teacher is enough for me :)

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I hate to ask this, and I mean it in all politeness, but: Did you read pmasiar's first two posts?

yeah i kinda just read that, haha but yeah, whats the worst that can happen? we learn a bit of python on the process :) but yeah i understand, im still going to help out in any way i can.

drubin
November 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Has it become policy to pastebin the quotes/code? (Just asking because a few people are doing it)...

Why is this thread turning into a Java vs Python. The topic is about Python and a pretty neat topic. Lets try and keep it open :)

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
It's true that we'd all profit more if we approached it as: "How can we document our Python knowledge, and as we collaborate, expand our knowledge through sharing?" instead of "Hey, we know some Python--let's go and teach people!"

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hey drubin buddy -- i think ive got it back onto python now :) glad your taking an interest

I pastebinned the code because i couldnt be bothered to fill a paste with 30 odd lines when i could pastebin it in one

I can see the weight of my opinion shrinking rapidly However, I'll still give it Let's not make it "PySchool is a hard teacher because it tests you before it teaches you." One hard teacher is enough for me

Actually your opinion is not shrinking i do 'not' want this to end up as something newcomers will quit because they find it too difficult. I want to teach and test, but not necessarily teach my material but someone elses well written tuto.

drubin
November 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hey drubin buddy -- i think ive got it back onto python now :) glad your taking an interest

I pastebinned the code because i couldnt be bothered to fill a paste with 30 odd lines when i could pastebin it in one

1) Always take an interist but my python skills are no where near good enough to comment/help out. YET!!

2) Ok, was just wondering.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Did you not see my list of things i could use help with, only one of them needed programming experience, i think were gonna start from n00b and work to expert not the other way around.

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Has the time come to make a separate forum and/or wiki for discussion?

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
erm, possibly -- but i need to know whos in

nows the time to say :)

hankinator
November 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
i still am lol.

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, me too :)

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, then thats

Me
hankinator
fiddler616

anyone else?

pmasiar
November 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
For beginners (like me) it's much nicer learning (tutorial) and then practicing (challenge) There's a saying, "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lessons afterwards."

That's a good one, I will remember it! ;-)

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
That's a good one, I will remember it! ;-)
Heh, thanks :)
Are you willing to help out here, or are you busy with your wiki and stuff?

And does somebody want to get a hold of LaRoza?

If it's just us 3 though, I'm sure we could start it magnificently.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately LaRoza is no longer a member of the ubuntu forums, however if i see her on IRC i will mention it to her

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately LaRoza is no longer a member of the ubuntu forums, however if i see her on IRC i will mention it to her
Yeah, I know :(
Didn't pmasiar reference a way to contact her though? Let me go look that up...

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
You can also contact LaRoza (see stickies)
See stickies? Eh? I leave it to somebody more knowing than I.

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
She's on irc now, just waiting for a reply

pmasiar
November 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
It's true that we'd all profit more if we approached it as: "How can we document our Python knowledge, and as we collaborate, expand our knowledge through sharing?" instead of "Hey, we know some Python--let's go and teach people!"

Exactly - because there are many good resources scattered, and because everybody is beginner only once, and struggles through learning basics somehow. Obviously as such "advanced beginner" you **feel** that your road from beginner to present level could be easier, but it does not mean you **know** how to make that road better for others. If you are not aware about better road to skills it does not mean it does not exist and is waiting for you to write it up.

Get used to it: in open source/open sharing of info, if you have any problem, chances are someone else already solved it, and better than you can: so better way is not to start your own half-hearted effort, but find the existing one, and pitch in to improve it. To understand why, read Homesteading the Noosphere (http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/homesteading/) by ESR. 8-)

Bodsda
November 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ok pmasiar. Do you have a link to anything that is doing what we hope to achieve?

Kilon
November 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
BS. You just did not know where to ask.

> I fully support your project , I think that python depserately needs something like this to prove that is beginner friendly and not just an easy language for experienced and pro programmers.

BS. "Desperately"? See also my previous answer.

Python does not need as much docs because is so much simpler. Ie compare XMP parsing via ElementTree (Python) and DOM/SAX nightmare in Java. Explain me why Java needs 60+ file-like classes to handle I/O. See also "Why I love/hate Java" in stickies.

Hey man why you attack only me ? I just agreed with what Bodsda said. And afterall I believe that Python is not User-friendly nor Beginners friendly . It is my personal opinion , why you need to attack me? I just offer advice, you do not like it , you can always ignore or even disagree with it. No need to be rude.

What you mean I did not know where to ask, i am no experienced progammer , but I did not start to programm yesterday. I am messing with programming languages since 1988.

"so much simpler" , well sorry but I disagree there. Simpler yes, but even in that case I had to learn new thing like WxWidgets , I changed the way I think coming from OO languages, python introduces new concepts cause is not as much OO, etc, also I found many libraries which were either incomplete or poorly documented.

Also you have to understand that when i am talking about documentation , I am not talking only about a simple "this does that" , I am also talking about alot of practical examples using different approaches.

And also I will admit that subjectively I find python difficult.

Maybe Captain Picard is right when saying

but if you really are stuck in the C-like language mindset, some things will feel strange. You actually need to unlearn some stuff as you go...

I think that this a suggestion , that the tutorial that Bodsda want to make , should have a special section for guys like me who are coming from an OO language. But I have to confess learning the core language was never diffcult, Python in that area is very easy.

GUI on the other hand with wxPython was not. Maybe it will be an area that this tutorial will address.

nvteighen
November 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah--I put it on pause because I was working hard enough understanding the code, let alone contributing. I might get back into it once the engine is decided upon.

The engine is freezed... now we're messing with the plugin-like architecture. Please refer to our thread.

On the discussion:
I really don't see why this shouldn't be done or at least attempted. Python is a great beginner-aimed language, but it honestly lacks good beginner-documentation I know about. And even if there's some extraordinary good resource out there I don't know (yet) about, I don't see the inconvenient: a documentation project IMO is not like a code project, where duplication necessarily leads to competition and where efficiency (in the broad sense of "who does task X better") wins. Nope, documentation is not about "doing things better" but "showing better how to do things", which mean exposition quality also takes part in the game.

pmasiar
November 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hey man why you attack only me ?

I don't "attack" you, I just disagree with what you said in an opinionated way ;-) Ie I do not care to remember who said what in which thread (mostly), my time span is limited (mostly) in each thread - that's why I like if people quote and trim properly - to make my life easier ;-)

> And afterall I believe that Python is not User-friendly nor Beginners friendly . It is my personal opinion , why you need to attack me?

Because I disagree, and can even substantiate my opinion? Am I allowed to disagree? If you don't want anyone to disagree, don't post in public forum - or grow thicker skin.

> I just offer advice, you do not like it , you can always ignore or even disagree with it. No need to be rude.

I am not sure: I disagreed, so what's the problem? I do dislike your advice, and explained why. So?

> What you mean I did not know where to ask,

...to ask where are resources you were looking for, like python-tutor email list. I agree that they need to be promoted more, but you cannot solve that by creating 23456-th website for Python beginners. There are way too many already, so efforts to improve them are dilluted.

> "so much simpler" , well sorry but I disagree there. Simpler yes, but even in that case I had to learn new thing like WxWidgets ,

"Simpler" does not mean there is nothing to learn. Or as CptPicard said, to unlearn ;-)

> I changed the way I think coming from OO languages, python introduces new concepts cause is not as much OO,

I don't understand your point: Python is fully OO? Do you disagree? Of course there are different flavors of OO, because Python is dynamically typed, so it's OO would be inevitably different from statically typed OO. That's normal. That's learning opportunity.

> etc, also I found many libraries which were either incomplete or poorly documented.

...as is in any open source project. And you can send comments/requests for improvement, I know I did and they thanked me. Solution is not complaining it is not good enough, solution is to fix it, if you know how.

> And also I will admit that subjectively I find python difficult.

OK maybe your brains are wired differently. I find Python fits my brains perfectly. And I also program since '84, using more languages I care to mention here.

> I think that this a suggestion , that the tutorial that Bodsda want to make , should have a special section for guys like me who are coming from an OO language.

Again, Python **is** OO language. And there are comparisons for Python coming from Perl and C, IIRC linked from my wiki I hope ;-)

> GUI on the other hand with wxPython was not. Maybe it will be an area that this tutorial will address.

GUI is separate problem. And irrelevant for most people, who would use Python either as commandline tool, or for web programming.

As I said, I have no problem with anyone creating yet another tutorial. I am just warning the author that there are way too many existing ones, and problem is to find good one: so solution is find good ones and promote/improve them (concentrate the efforts), not dillute efforts on yet another one. Did you read "Homesteading the noosphere" above?

fiddler616
November 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
I don't speak for the OP, and I can't speak as a mod, but nonetheless I'd really appreciate it if this Java flamewar was moved elsewhere. I don't plan to use my report button--that would be extreme and impolite and generally unpalatable, but.....

I think the idea of this tutorial is that it can be more collaborative. All the other tutorials I've seen were written by one person (maybe two), with the exception of pmasiar's wiki. From what I understand, that wiki only serves as repository of useful links and informational blurbs. I suppose an argument could be made for Wikiversity, but......

What I envision with this project (this is not endorsed by OP, fyi) is:

Anybody with experience can contribute--maybe just a little bit, maybe a lot, improving quality a la Wikipedia.
An emphasis on grokking a concept before moving on. Ergo the challenge problems.
An emphasis on learnability--you can study OOP as long as you want, but if you don't have a solid grasp of good logic, you're screwed. I don't know if the term 'foundational learning' exists or not--if it doesn't, I hereby coin it.
Less bias due to the multiple authors--some tutorial-writers have strange idiosyncracies.
More Pythonic--sort of like the one before this--each author has his own non-standard quirk which is recognized by the community as non-Pythonic, but it works and it happens and isn't really corrected. With more people watching each other's backs, this wil happen a lot less.

We may have 3 people offering to help now, but I'm sure that if the 'edit' button is large enough people will help out.

Finally, the best way to learn something is to teach it--and who cares who's listening? (I'm reminded of my early blog posts, before I'd built a readership base)

Again, this all stemmed from the crevices of my brain, and is just my interpretation of the project.

Kilon
November 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I don't speak for the OP, and I can't speak as a mod, but nonetheless I'd really appreciate it if this Java flamewar was moved elsewhere

I do not care for you conspiracy theories, never intended and never did started a flame war, nor I am troll as you try to suggest. You just need to relax and take a deep breath.

GUI is separate problem. And irrelevant for most people, who would use Python either as commandline tool, or for web programming.

ok respect, so if gui is not a priority for python maybe this tutorial or any tutorial, will be appropriate to warn beginners of what python is good at and not good at. Because I have searched through many python tutorials and it is the first time I hear that GUI is not a priority for python community. If I knew that would surely saved me alot of trouble as before python I was not familiar with the open source community and python community.

No intention to continue this talk, I let you be with you python tutorial. I am interested to it and will be more than pleased to see it become a reality. Good Luck!

pmasiar
November 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
so if gui is not a priority for python

You have it wrong: GUI should not be priority for a language beginner. Only MSFT languages like VisualBasic are centered on creating GUI by beginners - and rely on strong IDE to accomplish that.

GUI using Python are simpler than GUI using other general programming languages - especially if you cheat using EasyGUI, which has no events to handle 8-)

> it is the first time I hear that GUI is not a priority for python community.

It is - there are plenty of tutorials. Just IMHO GUI is not for total language newbies.

No intention to continue this talk,

OK, your choice but... How else you plan to learn new stuff and grow?

fiddler616
November 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
I do not care for you conspiracy theories,
Eh? I have conspiracy theories?

never intended and never did started a flame war,
I might understand that you never intended to start one, but the thread "Python project idea" should not have a detailed account on the fallacies of Python when compared to Java. Java has exactly nothing to do with this thread. To be fair, you and pmasiar are incrementally building off each other, but a flame war it remains.

nor I am troll as you try to suggest.
Did I suggest that? Don't put words in my mouth.

You just need to relax and take a deep breath.
I am perfectly relaxed--more so than you at the moment, I'm pretty sure.

Why is this thread turning into a Java vs Python. The topic is about Python and a pretty neat topic. Lets try and keep it open
+1

I'm embarassed this is adding to my beancount.

Bodsda
November 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Wow, i leave for a day and everything goes to mush lol

Well now that we have finished bickering about python and or java -- lets concentrate in this project.

We need to consider the following before we start the project.

1) Discussions -- forum or wiki? or can someone host off UF
2) Decide who is doing what and how much spare time they have
3) Project hosting
4) Advertising

Any suggestions

Bodsda

fiddler616
November 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Wow, i leave for a day and everything goes to mush lol

Well now that we have finished bickering about python and or java -- lets concentrate in this project.

We need to consider the following before we start the project.

1) Discussions -- forum or wiki? or can someone host off UF
2) Decide who is doing what and how much spare time they have
3) Project hosting
4) Advertising

Any suggestions

Bodsda
1) I think a forum for broad discussion of what should go in, a wiki for the writing process, and periodic .pdfs for posterity. I don't know what UF's policy is on third-party forums--this thread itself might actually be overstaying its welcome, but I'll let a mod decide that.
2) ...
3) ...
4) Do we want advertising? It just seems more GPLish to have a 'donate' button, not ads...that's a discussion in and of itself...

Bodsda
November 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Lol, when i said advertising i meant letting people know about the project like friends & family etc.

3rd party forum -- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=393914

I've requested one but dunno how long it will take for conformation

fiddler616
November 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Lol, when i said advertising i meant letting people know about the project like friends & family etc.

3rd party forum -- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=393914

I've requested one but dunno how long it will take for conformation
Awesome.
I'd guess that they'll get back pretty soon--these are very active forums.

Bodsda
November 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Awesome.
I'd guess that they'll get back pretty soon--these are very active forums.

Unfortunately i doubt it, when thread in there was left unreplied to for a month!

but i speak to some forum mods on irc so il ask them to take a look when i catch em

fiddler616
November 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM

Oh, wow, haha....
(Sorry, I missed this on the first read in my link-following zeal)

Bodsda
November 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
No probs :)

fiddler616
November 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately i doubt it, when thread in there was left unreplied to for a month!

but i speak to some forum mods on irc so il ask them to take a look when i catch em
Eek, the thread under yours was posted in May, and has yet to receive a real reply.
I give thanks for your IRC connections :)

Bodsda
November 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Eek, the thread under yours was posted in May, and has yet to receive a real reply.
I give thanks for your IRC connections :)

Yeah, it is helpful, unfortunately not many people are active atm -- If you want to join me im in #ubuntuforums-beginners

fiddler616
November 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
If you want to join me im in #ubuntuforums-beginners
I would, but I reinstalled yesterday (separate /home partition(woot, woot!)) and haven't reinstalled XChat (I don't use it too often anyway) and can't do it now since I'm installing KDE, just to remind myself why I hate it.

Bodsda
November 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Might be worth it, im setting up a channel

##pyschool

Whenever im online il be there -- or my bot will

drubin
November 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Might be worth it, im setting up a channel

##pyschool

Whenever im online il be there -- or my bot will

I will pop by when I have free time. I will also help out if and when i can but it wont be that often :(.

Good luck with this project guys.

Ps. I don't think you need your own forum just yet. I think you can wait till things get a little bit more busy. :)